• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

georgie

Glucose Syrup

Rate this topic

If an icecream states it has Glucose Syrup - is that Gluten free ?

I had the icecream as I thought it was OK but then had a reaction. Aren't all the labels meant to state if they contain wheat ? I am in Australia.

Glucose is sugar. Some have a dairy sensitivity if they are new to the diet. Or some may react to the dairy itself.

Many suggest that you stop dairy while you are healing and gradually re-introduce it after you have been feeling better for a period of time.

I still have a problem with McD's Vanilla Milkshake, which is gluten free. I can handle a little bit of cheese though. And, I do not drink milk products.

Hope this helps. :)

Lisa

Glucose syrup is made from corn, potatioes or WHEAT most often. There's only a very small chance of it having gluten though.

In Europe, even though allergens have to be declared on labels, they don't have to say what the glucose syrup is made from and many coeliacs eat it apparently without problems. I react though. :(

I don't know what the labeling laws say about it in Australia?

Pauliina

I believe now that in Australia that all food must state what is in it and if it has gluten. I will check with the Society tomorrow. Their web site is unreadable. I only had a slight reaction and wonder if it was incorrectly labelled ? Just a trace of gluten? I had dairy 3 days ago and was OK. hmmm <_<

I think that here in Oz they would have to state if it was from Wheat. If you could post or pm what you find out about food labeling it would be grately appreciated as I am also slightly confused.

I just love compinies who put gluten free on their label even if tho its not a gluten-free speciality product.

It might be another issue like the one on wheat starch. It is claimed that it is gluten-free. Too bad many people react. So, glucose made from wheat could be officially declared to be gluten-free and therefore may not need to be declared, but some people will react anyway.

I wouldn't ask the company if the product is gluten-free, but specifically what the glucose was derived from. If it was from wheat, I'd stop using that particular product.

I don't worry about a product that has glucose in it and I have never reacted. I have never known it to have gluten...everything I have had with it in it has been gluten free