Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rkmonckton11

Making Mashed Potatoes Need A Gravy Recipe

hello everyone i haven't been on in awhile . But now i need some help! im making mashed potatoes and i need a gravy! Does anyone know a good recipe. i tried a couple of nights ago but it just didn't work. how do i thicken the gravy?? cornstarch? potatoe starch can someone help!!!

thank you

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

if you're not making chicken or something that gives you juices or stock, then get broth (or make some with boullion), and add either cornstarch, sweet rice flour, or potato flour, making a slurry with a little bit of cold water first, before adding to the hot broth/stock. (I didn't go gluten-free until I was 25 or so, but have *never* made gravy with flour. didn't know you could until I was 18 or so! :) )

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

I use light buckwheat flour to thicken gravy, since I am intolerant to rice, corn and potato! But Tiffany is right, you need to have some meat stock.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

like tarnalb, i've also only made gluten-free gravy. i usually use a cornstarch or amaranth flour, depending on what i am making.

Gluten-free, Vegan