• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

happygirl

Wonderful Story

Rate this topic

I was in my best friend's wedding this past weekend in PA. Something awesome happened and I had to share:

Many of you on the board know that I am having post-Celiac/non-Celiac related health problems as of recently (February), with my problems increasing in the past few months. I have lost a great deal of weight and my parents have moved in with me to help me out (just moved to take a new job and husband has not moved yet). I have given up much in my life but refused to give up this wedding. I've been friends with Meg since I moved to PA when I was 16 and she was the maid of honor in mine...and I was the matron in hers.

At the reception, after I gave the toast and dinner started (I brought my own food because of my multiple food reactions), I found out that Meghan and Brian had done something for me as a surprise. Instead of using money to buy favors for the wedding guests, they instead chose to make a donation to the Celiac Disease Foundation in my name. They said they wanted to do something for me, since they know what I have been going through, and thought it was the best way to honor me. They had a write up about it (didn't mention me by name because they didn't want to call attention to me) and placed it in a 5x7 frame that was on the main table for everyone to see when they came in (to get the name and table assignment).

They didn't tell me until after my toast because they didn't want to have me start crying...but my parents were there and had seen me, and finally told me....my mom cried, then I cried, then I found Meghan and Brian, and she cried, and etc etc etc. Apparently the whole wedding party knew but hadn't told me so I could get through my toast...and wanted it to be a surprise. Talk about the best surprise and the most thoughtful thing anyone has ever done for me...and in honor of Celiac and my health....makes it all the more special.

I just had to share, because the world in general, is not accepting or necessarily supportive of Celiac...but there are people out there who are wonderful and good-hearted! What a great weekend it was!

Wow.. that is such a great story. I too have tears in my eyes. They must be such special friends.. what a touching thing to do.. you are a very lucky woman to have such great people in your life. Sounds like they are truly blessings..

Honestly, I wish everyone could've been there to see it. It was so overwhelming and wonderful. They had done so many things to try to make the weekend easy for me and this was just the icing on the cake. I even took a picture with the frame (which they sent home with me). Her family and his family was so supportive of me. Apparently, Meg and Brian had told them all of what I have been going through recently, so I had people that I had never met (parts of his family) were coming up and telling me they were praying for me to find answers, and they hoped that I got better, etc. It was honestly just an amazing night....I am so lucky to have friends and family like that!

Thanks for sharing your wonderful story. I've gotta go find a kleenex, my eyes are leaking....

Yup, me too... A little misty over here. What an awesome story and an even MORE awesome friend.

Laura

you sure deserve all the kindness shown by your dear friends.

So happy you had such a great tribute and good time at the wedding.

thanks so sharing with us this wonderful story.

hugs

judy

Wow, now you made me cry, too. :rolleyes: How wonderful.

Thank You for posting this, now that is what I call a real friend.

I read your allergy list, I used to have a list about like that, mine is almost all gone except for a few, so hang in there, I think it will get better for you.

That is so nice of them.

I've recently being trying to go gluten-free again after to long of been really bad. One of my friends has sent me recipies, info and websites, that she says she has been given or accidently come across. I'm not sure if she if this was the case or if she looked for them delibratly, but its nice that shes been so supportive.

That is beyond friendship, that is thick as blood. What special people you all are...Hang on to that friendship , it is so awesome.

What part of Pa do you reside???

blessings

mamaw

What a wonderful gift to you! With friends like that, you will get through anything! :)

I had to wait til I stopped tearing up after reading your wedding story.

Thanks for the gift to us in sharing it...

Sandy

Such a beautiful thing to do for a wonderful person. You have wonderfuls friends and parents too. :)

Now there is a real friend. Thanks for sharing a positive.

This is why I had to share---I knew YOU guys would appreciate it and know what it really meant. Its amazing when your friends become like family and support you through anything.

Luckily, I have great friends all around---just today I had 9 of my best girlfriends from Penn State send me roses (sick from undiagnosed but non-Celiac related issues....long story.)

Imagine if yall teared up over this---what I was like at the reception! And I'm a crier anyways! You should have seen my mom and I- it was pathetic, but in a good way. :)

mamaw-my dad is military and so we moved around a lot. I lived in philly for two years, then moved to mechanicsburg, outside of harrisburg. my parents have kept them home there, and my parents have split their time between PA and VA. After graduating from high school in Mech, I went to Penn State for four years, moved to Auburn for my graduate degree, moved to Virginia Beach for a year (first job) and just moved to Northern Virginia last month for my dream job. Sigh. That makes me tired just thinking about it. Wedding was in Camp Hill (town next door to M-burg) and reception was in hershey.

Alison-hey girl. I'll write you an email, hopefully tomorrow :)!