• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Peta

Help Me Understand

Rate this topic

Can anyone tell me what these means?

Is it likely my son is Celiac? He is booked in for a bowel biopsy but I'm curious how high his chance of having celiac?

Gliadin IgG 20 Units

Gliadin IgA 20 Units

Tissue Transglutaminase IgG 20 Units

Tissue Transglutaminase IgA 20 Units

Endomysial IgA Negative

HLA DQ Alleles

DQA1 *05 POSITIVE

DQB1 *02 POSITIVE

HLA DQ8 Alleles

DQA1 *0301 POSITIVE

DQB1 *0302 POSITIVE

It's a bit confusing to me...?

(Note: There is a family link of Celiac with my sister and nephew both having it)

VERY GRATEFUL FOR ANY HELP IN UNDERSTANDING THIS TEST RESULT. APPRECIATE YOUR TIME.

Peta

defintely need to know the reference ranges before you can say what the numbers mean.

additionally, the genetics there puts him in a higher risk category than if he had both DQ2's, one DQ2/one-non-celiac-DQ, or no celiac-DQ variants.

Are these enterolab results?

If not... can you list what the normal reference ranges are?

Normal < 20, Low 20-30, Mod 31-50, strong - greater than 50

My son was <20 units.

I am confused as this part of the test says celiac is 'unlikely' but the other test with the DQ's says its 'consistent with celiac'

The doctor said "It looks like he has celiac" but when I read the test it doesn't seem that sure at all? The doctor is VERY new to testing for celiac so I can't be sure she knows what she's saying??

I know I will find out for sure after the biopsy but not sure how long I have to wait for that appointment and I'm wanting to have an idea now! (although I know not to take him off any gluten til after biopsy).

Peta

The doctor said "It looks like he has celiac" but when I read the test it doesn't seem that sure at all? The doctor is VERY new to testing for celiac so I can't be sure she knows what she's saying??

I know I will find out for sure after the biopsy but not sure how long I have to wait for that appointment and I'm wanting to have an idea now! (although I know not to take him off any gluten til after biopsy).

Celiac is genetic, but just having the genes doesn't mean you'll absolutely have celiac; it needs an environmental trigger as well. So, what those results are most likely telling you, in my opinion, and I'm not a doctor, is that he has the genetics that predispose him to celiac disease, but his blood tests don't show antibodies yet - either because he's not producing a lot of them, or because his intestines aren't damaged enough to release the antibodies into the bloodstream.

The fact that he's borderline, has the genetics for celiac disease, and has symptoms makes me think that he is likely celiac, though it may or may not show up on the biopsy at this stage.

Tiffany,

Thankyou for your reply. It made sense to me (and you explain it simpler than the doctor).

I meant to mention that my son also has a slightly low 'white cell count' and slightly low 'lymph'.... so if he does not show Celiac after his biopsy then it leaves me to wonder why these two parts of his full blood test are below par?

I don't wish him to have Celiac but it certainly would give an answer to his symptoms.

Peta

Guest nini

if he has symptoms that led you to suspect Celiac, and the genetic markers, after his biopsy regardless of the results I would try the diet with him and see if it helps. How old is he? Testing is notoriously unreliable in children.

None of us wish our children (or ourselves for that matter) to have Celiac, but truthfully it's a much healthier diet than the standard diet that most people have. Just food for thought.