• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Rate this topic

I know I mentioned this in my last post but nobody's replied since so I'm gonna put this in a separate area so everyone sees it...

Like I had said, I have now been prescribed Zelnorm which WILL drive me completely broke!! ($150/month, no drug plan covers it)...

My pharmacist said it'll probably take a month before my mody accepts the meds...

The side affects listed are:

• headache
  • diarrhea
  • abdominal pain
  • nausea
  • flatulence
  • dizziness
  • back pain
  • flu-like symptoms (fever, muscle ache, fatigue, headache and/or cough)

Since I started these yesterday I've definitely had more diarrhea than normal, and gas, and back pain, and a fever...

Has anyone else had side affects from Zelnorm? and how long did they last for you???

~ lisa ~

I took it!! for IBS before going gluten free. It gave me diarrhea the first week or so and then everything worked itself out as I had had constipation before. I also felt dizzy and was really sleepy all the time but that went away after a week or two also. I stopped taking it because we wanted to know that going gluten free was what was helping me feel better not the pills. But i really liked it. Its a bummer that your insurance doesn't cover it. I never realized how much it was since my insurance did cover it. Hope that helps you some.

Lisa: what reason does insurance give you for not covering it? (I am asking only in event I can help you to get them to at least pay something towards it.) I do insurance as my job.

I took Zelnorm for a while. I am not a huge fan of it. For most folks I've talked to, it just gives you D. Have you tried psyllium/fiber supplements? I would exhaust the more natural options first, if you haven't. Psyllium works better for me than Zelnorm ever did...

I'm in Canada, theres no such thing as insurance ;) We have things called drug plans, where you can apply to be covered for 65% of any prescription expenses. Some certain things just arent covered.

I dont actually have IBS-D or IBS-C. He's just giving me this for pain relief because I said that Buscopan doesnt help me any (and I can tell Zelnorm is much stronger because it REALLY knocks me out literally speaking of course).

I'm supposed to be on it for 3 months so I'm not gonna quit it but yeah the diarrhea/tiredness/fever/headache/back pain really sucks I tell ya -- more excuse to miss class for the bathroom i guess :lol:

~ lisa ~