This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

A Baking Success....

2ofus2kids2dogs

2ofus2kids2dogs Apprentice

Hi everyone. I've been gluten-free for about 5 weeks, although I did go gluten-free for 6 months about 1-1/2 years ago. Anyway, I pretty much stuck with the mixes before and never was terribly impressed with any of them.

Last week - I bought Roben Ryberg's cookbook The Gluten Free Kitchen. Anyway, I tried my first recipe this morning - biscuits. Oh my gosh - they were so good! The dough was very soft but easy to work with, they stayed together well to get them on the pan - they actually came off the pan easily and when I cut it in half to butter it, it DID NOT FALL APART!!!! I put butter and honey on it, picked it up in my hand and ate it. It was so wonderful. Now, I know I will survive. :D

Right away, I realized what the problem had been for me with the previous mixes I had used - the texture. I do not like the grainy texture of the rice flour, which is why I bought this cookbook - it only uses corn startch and potato starch.

Anyway - I just wanted to recommend this cook book. I think the reason I had put off trying anything for all week was because I was afraid I would be disappointed. I was so wrong. If the biscuits worked, I have high hopes for the rest of the recipes!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jaten Enthusiast
Last week - I bought Roben Ryberg's cookbook The Gluten Free Kitchen. Anyway, I tried my first recipe this morning - biscuits. Oh my gosh - they were so good! The dough was very soft but easy to work with, they stayed together well to get them on the pan - they actually came off the pan easily and when I cut it in half to butter it, it DID NOT FALL APART!!!! I put butter and honey on it, picked it up in my hand and ate it. It was so wonderful. Now, I know I will survive. :D

Woo Hoo! I will buy this book today for the biscuit recipe alone :lol:

I, too, have been very unimpressed with various biscuit mixes, etc. AND being from the south, I gotta have a good biscuit at least once in awhile. Your description of other biscuits has been my frustration. Woo Hoo! Happy! Happy!

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

I like Roben Ryberg's cookbook, too. :)

If you can find super-fine rice flour, it does make a big diffeence. Authentic Foods sells a very very expensive version, but you can get exactly the same thing at the Asian markets in little one-pound plastic bags for 69 cents.

jerseyangel Proficient

I bought this book about 2 months ago. Since I have to severly limit my grains, I was excited that she uses only the starches in her recipes. Since I'm also sensitive to corn, I've just used all potato starch in the recipes, and they've been fine.

One thing I found--I bake the pumpkin and banana breads in an 8 by 8 pan instead of the loaf pan--when I made them in the loaf pan, they rose, but then quickly fell! I don't know if I was doing something wrong, but they would test done, and fall anyway. :blink:

The pizza crust is very good, also. I plan to make the spice cookies this week--haven't tried them yet :P

cycler Contributor

Thank you for posting this! I attempted baking tea biscuits from my "real" recipe using rice flour and they were too crumbly and then another attempt using just tapioca flour - that batch might've been ok but I added too much water so I had to keep adding the flour to get the right consistency so they were very chewy! So hopefully when I get this cookbook I'll get a better idea of the proportions to use.

Sweetfudge Community Regular

Glad to hear of your success!! I will have to look into getting this book! The biscuits sound wonderful!

mcalister14 Rookie

:D I swear by The Gluten Free Kitchen! I have several different cookbooks but this one is my favorite. I haven't made the biscuts yet, but I will now. Everything I've tried from this book has been a success. The pizza crust and choc. chip cookies are awesome. I get so excited when a recipe is good!!!

Stacy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

breann6 Contributor

i was browsing the boards for good cookbook recommendations- I can't wait to get this book.

i have the -The Gluten Free Gourmet Cooks Comfort Foods- on loan from the library, i haven't made anything from it yet but have enjoyed reading through it so far.

-Breann-

Green12 Enthusiast

Thanks for the cookbook recommendation :)

Archived