• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

2ofus2kids2dogs

A Baking Success....

Rate this topic

Hi everyone. I've been gluten-free for about 5 weeks, although I did go gluten-free for 6 months about 1-1/2 years ago. Anyway, I pretty much stuck with the mixes before and never was terribly impressed with any of them.

Last week - I bought Roben Ryberg's cookbook The Gluten Free Kitchen. Anyway, I tried my first recipe this morning - biscuits. Oh my gosh - they were so good! The dough was very soft but easy to work with, they stayed together well to get them on the pan - they actually came off the pan easily and when I cut it in half to butter it, it DID NOT FALL APART!!!! I put butter and honey on it, picked it up in my hand and ate it. It was so wonderful. Now, I know I will survive. :D

Right away, I realized what the problem had been for me with the previous mixes I had used - the texture. I do not like the grainy texture of the rice flour, which is why I bought this cookbook - it only uses corn startch and potato starch.

Anyway - I just wanted to recommend this cook book. I think the reason I had put off trying anything for all week was because I was afraid I would be disappointed. I was so wrong. If the biscuits worked, I have high hopes for the rest of the recipes!

Last week - I bought Roben Ryberg's cookbook The Gluten Free Kitchen. Anyway, I tried my first recipe this morning - biscuits. Oh my gosh - they were so good! The dough was very soft but easy to work with, they stayed together well to get them on the pan - they actually came off the pan easily and when I cut it in half to butter it, it DID NOT FALL APART!!!! I put butter and honey on it, picked it up in my hand and ate it. It was so wonderful. Now, I know I will survive. :D

Woo Hoo! I will buy this book today for the biscuit recipe alone :lol:

I, too, have been very unimpressed with various biscuit mixes, etc. AND being from the south, I gotta have a good biscuit at least once in awhile. Your description of other biscuits has been my frustration. Woo Hoo! Happy! Happy!

I like Roben Ryberg's cookbook, too. :)

If you can find super-fine rice flour, it does make a big diffeence. Authentic Foods sells a very very expensive version, but you can get exactly the same thing at the Asian markets in little one-pound plastic bags for 69 cents.

I bought this book about 2 months ago. Since I have to severly limit my grains, I was excited that she uses only the starches in her recipes. Since I'm also sensitive to corn, I've just used all potato starch in the recipes, and they've been fine.

One thing I found--I bake the pumpkin and banana breads in an 8 by 8 pan instead of the loaf pan--when I made them in the loaf pan, they rose, but then quickly fell! I don't know if I was doing something wrong, but they would test done, and fall anyway. :blink:

The pizza crust is very good, also. I plan to make the spice cookies this week--haven't tried them yet :P

Thank you for posting this! I attempted baking tea biscuits from my "real" recipe using rice flour and they were too crumbly and then another attempt using just tapioca flour - that batch might've been ok but I added too much water so I had to keep adding the flour to get the right consistency so they were very chewy! So hopefully when I get this cookbook I'll get a better idea of the proportions to use.

Glad to hear of your success!! I will have to look into getting this book! The biscuits sound wonderful!

:D I swear by The Gluten Free Kitchen! I have several different cookbooks but this one is my favorite. I haven't made the biscuts yet, but I will now. Everything I've tried from this book has been a success. The pizza crust and choc. chip cookies are awesome. I get so excited when a recipe is good!!!

Stacy

i was browsing the boards for good cookbook recommendations- I can't wait to get this book.

i have the -The Gluten Free Gourmet Cooks Comfort Foods- on loan from the library, i haven't made anything from it yet but have enjoyed reading through it so far.

-Breann-