• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

thorsbew

Celiac Fraternity Brother

Rate this topic

I have a fraternity brother that was born as a celiac. We always try to accomodate for him at events so that he doesn't feel left out. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of restaurants we could go to or any ideas for foods we can easily make. We're in the Michigan area. I know that he can't eat any thing like french fries that was prepared in the same frier as something that has a crispy coat on it like chicken nuggets. Is there anything else that we should be aware of as well?

Restaurants: PF Changs, Cheeseburger in Paradise, Carrabas, Maggiano's, Outback, Bonefish Grill -- all either have gluten-free menus or are aware of serving gluten-free dishes.

Many other restaurants have gluten-free menus online ... just look up what place you like, or ask here if anyone has any experience with it.

Just like french fry oil can be contaminated, so can grills, wooden spoons, teflon pans, cutting boards, etc. And be careful, regular charcoal has wheat ... either use propane or natural charcoal.

Welcome to the board! Thank you for caring ... most of the time we're on our own to accomodate ourselves.

Restaurants: PF Changs, Cheeseburger in Paradise, Carrabas, Maggiano's, Outback, Bonefish Grill -- all either have gluten-free menus or are aware of serving gluten-free dishes.

Many other restaurants have gluten-free menus online ... just look up what place you like, or ask here if anyone has any experience with it.

Just like french fry oil can be contaminated, so can grills, wooden spoons, teflon pans, cutting boards, etc. And be careful, regular charcoal has wheat ... either use propane or natural charcoal.

Welcome to the board! Thank you for caring ... most of the time we're on our own to accomodate ourselves.

That is totally cool that you are looking up things for your frat bro! Ditto Carla. Alot of the work will be looking up gluten-free menu's online, and then talking to the staff at the place. It is so cool that you are understanding of your buddy. I am sure he really appreciates your help!

Your fraternity brother is lucky to be in a frat that is so understanding.

It can be hard to eat out because of cross contamination...but you have been given some good advice. No matter what, just having your support means a lot to him, regardless of if he eats with you or just goes out and has a good time.

So you say you are in Michigan....are you at Michigan or Michigan State? (If so, booooo---I'm a recent Penn State alum)

Laura

Some other things...

I don't know if you have chick-fil-a there, but they use a dedicated fryer for their fries (which are very good!)

Usually if you ask a place, they will tell you whether they cook their fries in the same oil as their nuggets and stuff.

I like to get salads at red robins...

When you go out, just tell your friend that he needs to tell the servers very clearly that he will become very ill if he ingests anything with gluten in it, so that they'll be extra careful.

If you order meat, usually they use a grill basting, which has gluten in it, so order without. Always better to play it safe, than to suffer the consequences...

are you his roomie? If so, I understand why you would come on here....my husband hate's being in the same room as me when I get glutened...lol

I have triumph dining cards and use them for my daughter (she's a toddler) when we go to places that do no offer gluten free foods... the packet I have came with a book that had a list of gluten free friendly restraunts. Maybe you guys should look into buying one for the frat.. that way if there is ever another Celiac (and I'm sure there will be) it will always be around to help them! (I think my big pack was only around $30)

Some other things...

I don't know if you have chick-fil-a there, but they use a dedicated fryer for their fries (which are very good!)

Usually if you ask a place, they will tell you whether they cook their fries in the same oil as their nuggets and stuff.

I like to get salads at red robins...

When you go out, just tell your friend that he needs to tell the servers very clearly that he will become very ill if he ingests anything with gluten in it, so that they'll be extra careful.

If you order meat, usually they use a grill basting, which has gluten in it, so order without. Always better to play it safe, than to suffer the consequences...

are you his roomie? If so, I understand why you would come on here....my husband hate's being in the same room as me when I get glutened...lol

To add to Carla's restaurant list, Mitchell's, Ted's Montana Grill also have gluten-free menus. It's not impossible to eat out, but is harder at 'cheap/fast food' type places, IMO. Safer items to choose include meat and veggies. Veggies can be sauteed or steamed gluten-free easily. Meat and be cooked in a clean plan (specify) pretty easily, if the grill is not safe.

Very cool of you to look into how you can accomodate your friend. VERY cool! I am a Celiac in Michigan and can give you a lot of info depending on which University you are at. Lemme know where you are located and I can help you out some more.