• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Mamato2boys

Alfalfa As A Galactagogue - Is It Safe ?

Rate this topic

I don't know if this is the appropriate place for this or not - I guess it'll get moved if not ! :D

Does anyone know if it's safe to take alfalfa (in capsule form) to boost milk supply ? Both my son and I are GS. I've taken it in the past (before I was diagnosed) so I know it works, I just wasn't sure if it was still safe.

Thanks ! :)

You would need to check to make sure the alfalfa supplement is gluten free, and then it should be fine. Alfalfa itself is gluten free, but many supplements have added ingredients and sometimes there is gluten added as a filler. It would be safe as a lactation aid as long as there are no allergies to alfalfa.

I personally am allergic to alfalfa and have no idea what it would do to me if I ate it. I used to take alfalfa supplements as a child (I don't know why, my mom just included them in our daily vitamins) but I didn't test allergic to it until I was an adult. Now it is one of my most severe allergies and of course I live in farm country! Alfalfa is everywhere!

You would need to check to make sure the alfalfa supplement is gluten free, and then it should be fine. Alfalfa itself is gluten free, but many supplements have added ingredients and sometimes there is gluten added as a filler. It would be safe as a lactation aid as long as there are no allergies to alfalfa.

I personally am allergic to alfalfa and have no idea what it would do to me if I ate it. I used to take alfalfa supplements as a child (I don't know why, my mom just included them in our daily vitamins) but I didn't test allergic to it until I was an adult. Now it is one of my most severe allergies and of course I live in farm country! Alfalfa is everywhere!

Cool - thank you ! :D That's awful about your alfalfa allergy !! :blink::o

That's awful about your alfalfa allergy !! blink.gif ohmy.gif

Tell me about it! :huh:

Funny! I was just coming here to ask this very same question! I am also nursing and I didn't know this helped with milk production too! No wonder I have a great supply! LOL

I have found a gluten free vitamen that is very good and has alfalfa that has no gluten..I called the nurtionlist at the company. It is Simply nutralite womens or mens packs and my friend who sells amway sells it for around $22 for $30 supply. I really had to look for good stuff for my hubby who is gluten intolerant