Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kimber

Can Any Of The Celiac Or Gluten Intolerant Kids Handle Oats?

Hi

I understand from reading this site that ALL gluten should be removed from the diet

Just curious if any kids with gluten intolerance can handle oats..but not rye, barley, wheat etc??

thanks, Kim

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

boht my kids can eat scottish oatmeal (found it in health food store).

Recently we tried Honeycomb cereal* as I saw they add oat flour and it is the last ingredient, otherwise no gluten. My daughter is very sensitive and shows outward symptoms with cc. So far, neither child has had any problem with it.

* ingredients in cereal can vary between US nad Canada. I live in Canada

Sandy

Type 1 diabetes - 1986

hypothyroid -1993

pernicious anemia

premature atrial beats

neuropathy

retinopathy

daughter is: age 15

central hypotonia and developmental delay

balance issues (rides an adult 3 wheel bike)

hypothyroid 1996

dermatographia - a form of angioedema 2002

celiac 2004 - by endoscopy

diagnosed Aspergers at age 7 - responded very well (HUGE difference) to gluten-free diet

recovered from Kawasaki (2003)

lactose intolerant - figured out in Oct/06

Gilberts syndrome (April/07)

allergy to stinging insects

scoliosis Jan 2008

nightshade intolerance - figured out April 2008

allergy to Sulfa antibiotics

son is 13

type 1 diabetic - 2003 diagnosed on his 9th birthday

celiac - 2004 by endoscopy

lactose intolerant - figured out Nov/06

The biggest problem with oats is that there is almost always cross contamination with wheat in the milling process. So you can't just get Quaker oats. You have to get either oats from a company that makes only gluten free oats, such as glutenfreeoats.com, or one of the irish or scottish oats brands (not familiar with these but maybe someone can give you some brands to look for). I orders some from glutenfreeoats, but I haven't tried them yet. I figure the only way to find out if I react to the oats themselves or if it's the CC from processing, is to try the completely gluten-free kind at least once.

Nancy

The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it.

~Chinese Proverb

I tried the certified gluten-free oats and my daughter is doing just fine on them :)

They are expensive so its only going to be an occasional treat... but hey... I like the idea of OATMEAL being a treat! :)

The biggest problem with oats is that there is almost always cross contamination with wheat in the milling process. So you can't just get Quaker oats. You have to get either oats from a company that makes only gluten free oats, such as glutenfreeoats.com, or one of the irish or scottish oats brands (not familiar with these but maybe someone can give you some brands to look for). I orders some from glutenfreeoats, but I haven't tried them yet. I figure the only way to find out if I react to the oats themselves or if it's the CC from processing, is to try the completely gluten-free kind at least once.

Nancy

I haven't tried yet. I'm not sure I want to. She never seemed to like oats before, so I don't think it makes any difference to her. Now... my younger son, he might be a different story. I'll wait a while, but may eventually try. I do have some Scottish oatmeal in the cupboard. Dh loves the stuff.

Jayhawkmom -

Mom of three....

Jay - 11

Bean - 8

Ian - 3

my three girls tolerate oats without a problem----we have the gluten free oats.

Christine

15 year old twins with celiac, diagnosed dec. 2005

11 year old daughter with celiac diagnosed dec 2005

17 year old son with celiac gene

Oats would improve some baking. Is McCanns gluten free?

The American Diet of Chips, soda, ice cream, Goldfish Crackers, bread for breakfast (cereal, donuts, waffles, toast, bagels) cereal bars, "gummies", candy, msg, dairy products of all kinds, soy, and other chemicals - is Killing us and promoting diseases. BE HEALTHY. EAT NATURAL FOODS. DO NOT INGEST CHEMICALS! If you cannot pronounce it, do not eat it. Use Coconut oil. Eat herbs in salads. NO DAIRY. LOVE YOURSELF. LOVE YOUR FAMILY. FOOD IS MEDICINE!

All of the US brands are contaminated with wheat so if you have to eat oats go for ones that are grown, transported, and in a facility by themselves. Some people have reactions to even pure oats so you don't have any guarantee...some people get damage from the protein in pure oats called avenin. I still stay away from oats

Kaiti

Positive bloodwork

Gluten-free since January 2004

Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

Oats would improve some baking. Is McCanns gluten free?

I called McCanns and asked this question. They said that they can say that their oats are not processed with wheat but that they cannot say for sure if they were grown along side oats. So I guess there is still some change of CC.

Nicole

I haven't tried it with Owen and I can't find any oatmeal over here that is gluten-free. I know though that he did horrible with the gerber baby cereal oatmeal before we knew he was reacting to gluten.

~Melanie~

Mommy to:

Jonathan-10-02-2000, seasonal allergies and Asthma, taking Flovent, Claritin and Nasonex.

Owen-04-29-2005, GERD, 20mgs of Prilosec, 2.5mgs Zyrtec. Negative bloodwork and biopsies but great dietary response.

HLA-DQ 2,3 (Subtype 2,8) both celiac genes

Fecal Anti-Soy IgA 24 Units

Fecal anti-casein (cow's milk) IgA antibody 12 Units

Fecal Antigliadin IgA 18