Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

blueangel68

Food

i asked my diettian about this twice and both times she didnt give me a straight answer.

is "wheat starch" and "marshmellows" allowed.

i would greatly appreciate it.

thanx

live life how U want to,

NOT for anybody else!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

pretty sure wheat starch is a no....don't quote me though :P

marshmallows should be okay, just check the package to make sure there's no glutenous ingredients.

Sweetfudge

Born and raised in Portland, OR; Currently living in Provo, UT

Gluten-free since June 2006

Also living with Hypoglycemia since 1991

Dairy-free for good since summer 2008

Started IBS diet and probiotics at GI's recommendation - Fall 2008

Also avoiding: potatoes, beans, crucifers, popcorn, most red meat, coconut milk :(

Started eating a Paleo diet Spring 2011. Love it!

The grass is always greener where you water it.

i asked my diettian about this twice and both times she didnt give me a straight answer.

is "wheat starch" and "marshmellows" allowed.

i would greatly appreciate it.

thanx

Blueangel,

Welcome to this forum.

As I said in your other post, Mr Mallows Marshmallows are listed as gluten free.

I know I would not touch anything that has wheat starch in it. Even if it says it is gluten free.

Not sure about the others marshmlallows.

Where abouts are you in New Zealand?

How long have you been gluten free?

Catherine

hey i agree...that kraft are gluten free...i would love to show you the ropes on eating right...if i can help tell me...i know how hard it is for girls like us...but the "wheat starch" is a definate NO i'm sorry i will love to answer all of your questions if you e-mail me at hunterhalverson@hotmail.com

thanx tonz,

Hunter

Wheat starch is one of those things that through processing will usually end up mostly gluten free, but not entirely. If it's tested the gluten content will usually be below a certain acceptable parts per million which is why in countries like england wheat starch is allowed in gluten-free foods if it tests below that acceptable parts per million (can't remember the exact number). But in the USA wheat starch is generally not tested so you have no idea how many parts per million (ppm) of gluten it has. Here's my theory on it: There are too many opportunities for cross contamination out there that I will not ingest something that I know has even a few ppm. A few ppm might be ok, but what if I eat something that got contaminated with another few ppm and now I'm over the limit and I get sick. It's just not worth it to me. All the celiac books I've read also say that wheat starch should be avoided.

Marshmellows should be alright.

Gluten-Free since September 15, 2005.

Peanut-Free since July 2006.

hey marshmallows should be fine because i eat them all the time but wheat starch is a definite no!!! even if there r only a few "ppm" u shouldnt eat wheat starch... belive me i have looked everything up. if i can help 4 anything just personal message me kay?

Julia We Belive!!!!!!