Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This week we are finaly going 100% gluten free! Said screw the docs as my daughter and I have already seen signifacant improvement being gluten light. I have cleaned out all the cuboards but I seem to have some condiments left in the fidge that I am unsure about. Some contain things like carmel color or modified food starch....I am also leary of things that say tomatoe paste as some tomotoe pastes seem to contain gluten. I e-mailed KC Masterpiece only to be disapointed. We have been partial to there origional sauce....we have tried others over the years and were disapointed with them......anyone have any suggestions on a close gluten-free substatute? If anyone could tell me if any the following are safe or not safe either way it would be helfpful. Thanks

Kraft- Sweat and Sour Sauce

Kraft-Coctail Sauce

Kraft-Tarter Sauce

Just 2 Good-Blue Cheese Dressing Light

Hellman's-Tarter Sauce

Hersheys Syrup

T. Marzetti-Honey French Dressing Light

Welches-Grape Jelly

Myself-Age 25....I have had symptoms since at least 1998 if not since infancy (was diagnosed with malnutrition as a small child)...Positive results with gluten free diet!

Hannah-Age 5.....Has symptoms....Inconclusive blood tests....Positive diet response to both gluten free and lactose free!

Grace-Age 1.....Born at 29 weeks due to me having celiac....Has reflux and a feeding tube.

Husband-Not Celiac......has found that he does feel better when not eating allot of gluten.....is gluten free at home.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I have heard that Kraft does a good job with labels, but if they say modified food starch, toss them.

I will do some research of the items you listed and get back to you ASAP.

This week we are finaly going 100% gluten free! Said screw the docs as my daughter and I have already seen signifacant improvement being gluten light. I have cleaned out all the cuboards but I seem to have some condiments left in the fidge that I am unsure about. Some contain things like carmel color or modified food starch....I am also leary of things that say tomatoe paste as some tomotoe pastes seem to contain gluten. I e-mailed KC Masterpiece only to be disapointed. We have been partial to there origional sauce....we have tried others over the years and were disapointed with them......anyone have any suggestions on a close gluten-free substatute? If anyone could tell me if any the following are safe or not safe either way it would be helfpful. Thanks

Kraft-Coctail Sauce

Kraft-Tarter Sauce

Hellman's-Tarter Sauce

Hersheys Syrup

Welches-Grape Jelly

Congratulations on finding some success with the gluten-free diet!

Well, Kraft you are safe with as they will clearly list if gluten is in it. Kraft is a very celiac friendly company, it's one of our favourites......

I use Hellman's mayonnaise, and I found this on the delphi gluten free list:

Hellman’s (Best Foods) (www.best-foods.com) (vw=2/1/06)

“At this time, All Hellmann's/Best Foods mayonnaise products are gluten-free (Real, Canola, Light and Reduced Fat). Since product formulations change from time to time, the best advice we can give you is to check the ingredient list on the label. Ingredients that may contain any of the top eight allergens as defined by the FDA, peanuts, tree nuts, soy, fish, seafood, wheat, eggs, and milk or dairy, as well as any ingredient that may contain gluten, are always listed on the label.”

I also found this about T Marzetti:

T. Marzetti (ve=3/20/06) 

Will label gluten-containing ingredients

That's all I could find.....

Karen

Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy

Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism

endometriosis (at age 20)

spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.

Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs

Rhiannon 8 yrs

Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."

Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.

-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."

Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."

Unknown

Kraft-Coctail Sauce

Kraft-Tarter Sauce

Hellman's-Tarter Sauce

Hersheys Syrup

Welches-Grape Jelly

Kraft will clearly list any gluten on the ingredient list. All you have to do is read those.

Hellman's Tarter Sauce is gluten-free--according to the CSA Product Guide

Hershey's will also list any gluten.

Can't help with the others :)

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

So can I assume that the kraft products that I have are safe to eat even if it says modified food starch as long as it doesn't say somthing like dirived from wheat behind it or somthing?

Myself-Age 25....I have had symptoms since at least 1998 if not since infancy (was diagnosed with malnutrition as a small child)...Positive results with gluten free diet!

Hannah-Age 5.....Has symptoms....Inconclusive blood tests....Positive diet response to both gluten free and lactose free!

Grace-Age 1.....Born at 29 weeks due to me having celiac....Has reflux and a feeding tube.

Husband-Not Celiac......has found that he does feel better when not eating allot of gluten.....is gluten free at home.

So can I assume that the kraft products that I have are safe to eat even if it says modified food starch as long as it doesn't say somthing like dirived from wheat behind it or somthing?

Yes--if it had say, wheat, it would be listed as such. Example: modified food starch (wheat).

If it dosen't specify, it's from corn.

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Guest nini

Kraft is very good about labeling, if it contains a gluten ingredient it will clearly state Wheat Barley Rye in the ingredients... Modified Food starch in the US is almost ALWAYS from corn, if it's not it is required by law to be labeled as such for example: modified food starch (wheat)

Herheys chocolate syrup is fine.

Hellemans is gluten-free I use it all the time

Kraft- Sweet and Sour Sauce

Kraft-Cocktail Sauce

Kraft-Tarter Sauce

Food Starch and Modified Food Starch: When listed in the ingredient statement of Kraft products, “food starch” and “modified food starch” often refer to corn starch. Our ingredient suppliers assure us that the corn starch we use in our products does not contain gluten. If a Kraft product uses food starches from a gluten- containing source, such as wheat starch, the source will always be identified in the ingredient statement.

I called the Kraft hotline. They checked for me.

They checked the vinegar it is fine.

Also the mustard flour is purely ground mustard seed.

They do not see any gluten in these products.

Looks like others have the rest of your answers!

Thanks guys!!! Everyone here is so helpful. Actually I donno how I would have done any of this without you guys!

You may want to buy brand new condiments if you think they have cc issues (bread in the mayo from making sandwhiches with gluten bread). Just to be safe.

Hez

You may want to buy brand new condiments if you think they have cc issues (bread in the mayo from making sandwhiches with gluten bread). Just to be safe.

Hez

Thanks for the reminder. I already threw out anything I knew was not ok as well as anything that was in a jar (hence anything you would put a knife into). I only kept the squeezy bottle stuff wich I checked the caps for any crumbs and then wiped them off....hopefully that is good enough. All we had left is what I listed. The rest we have to buy new because we are out or because they were in jars.

welcome to the official gluten free club :)

i'm happy the "modified food starch" thing was clarified. Also, now because of the 2006 food allergen labeling law, ALL companies must list if there is ANY wheat (wheat is a top 8 allergen) (not gluten though), but Kraft was ahead of the curve before, and was good about listing wheat before required.

I have heard that Kraft does a good job with labels, but if they say modified food starch, toss them.

I will do some research of the items you listed and get back to you ASAP.

If it doesn't have a grain source after it in () it IS gluten free.

From my first post about my boyfriend working for a food company. He works for Kraft

Lisa

gluten-free since~November 30, 2006 (yes I know not long)

trying to stay away from milk