Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sweetfudge

Had An Interesting Morning...donuts In My Math Class

So one of the guys in my class works at a bakery and brought in several boxes of pastries...everyone was saying how good they were...and I said I couldn't eat them. Then everyone wanted to know why. I said I was gluten intolerant, then had to explain. I said, basically whenever I eat any gluten, it inflames my small intestines, then causes them to stop working, and I get really sick for days. Simple explanation, but a couple of people said, "Whoa, I wouldn't even WANT to touch anything w/ gluten if I were you!" and it made me think of all the people who just don't understand how severe this disorder really is. Obviously most of us know this, I just thought if anyone was looking for a better way to get the point across, this could do it :)

Anyway, just thought I'd share! Have a good day everyone!!

Sweetfudge

Born and raised in Portland, OR; Currently living in Provo, UT

Gluten-free since June 2006

Also living with Hypoglycemia since 1991

Dairy-free for good since summer 2008

Started IBS diet and probiotics at GI's recommendation - Fall 2008

Also avoiding: potatoes, beans, crucifers, popcorn, most red meat, coconut milk :(

Started eating a Paleo diet Spring 2011. Love it!

The grass is always greener where you water it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Sounds great, Sweetfudge--short and to the point :D

Reminds me of Tuesday when I went to vote. I don't know if it was just me being super sensitive about it, but I swear that everyone in the room was eating some sort of baked good! There were cookies and pastries on every table. The man who asked me to sign the register was eating a donut, and I cringed as I took the pen from off the table. (I didn't have one in my purse).

I made a mental note to keep my hands away from my face until I got home and was able to wash them :P

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

That is great sweetfudge, good explaining. I usually just go "I will get violently ill" that is enough for anyone.. no more questions have ever been asked.

When I am at a family party and cakes and cookies are there.. or any party for that matter... I just say.. you evil evil gluten eaters! I am not bothered by the glutenous food at all.. I just like to pick on them for eating all that gluten.. I usually get a good laugh from them at that!

Stephanie

Gluten free since October 05

son born severly premature due to

celiac

"True love stories never end" Richard Bach

"Did you ever stop thinking and forget to start again?" AA Milne

If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day so I never have to live without you" AA Milne

Swimming Instructor #2 and Town Crier of Rachelville

When I am at a family party and cakes and cookies are there.. or any party for that matter... I just say.. you evil evil gluten eaters! I am not bothered by the glutenous food at all.. I just like to pick on them for eating all that gluten.. I usually get a good laugh from them at that!

Lol! I like to tease my husband about being a glutenivore :) Or if he wants toast, I'll tell him to get his own gluten!

Sweetfudge

Born and raised in Portland, OR; Currently living in Provo, UT

Gluten-free since June 2006

Also living with Hypoglycemia since 1991

Dairy-free for good since summer 2008

Started IBS diet and probiotics at GI's recommendation - Fall 2008

Also avoiding: potatoes, beans, crucifers, popcorn, most red meat, coconut milk :(

Started eating a Paleo diet Spring 2011. Love it!

The grass is always greener where you water it.