Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hayleesdad

A G Free Question(school Supplies)

I've read that Gluten is in some school supplies like finger paint,crayons and glue.

Anyone know the right ones to get and what not to get.

and does wal mart carry anything Gluten-Free as far as school supplies?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi :)

Have you downloaded Nini's newbie kit? She knows a lot about this as she has a daughter in school. Here is a link to her site--

http://magickhand.googlepages.com/home

I'm sure some of the parents will be on soon to give you specifics--my kids are grown, so I can't be of too much help on this one.

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

I asked this very question just last week, and was given this address:

www.tacanow.com/school_supplies.htm

I found it EXTREMELY helpful - hopefully you will too ! :D

Ryan 10/13/03 - milk allergy diagnosed at five months after receiving first bottle of milk-based formula, reacted instantly with facial hives/swelling...later diagnosed with egg, cat, dog allergies as well. Also allergic to soy despite allergist denying. Recurrent diarrhea/chronic soft stools undiagnosed until 9/19/06 - GI doctor said recurrent diarrhea not a problem. Tested through EnteroLabs:

Fecal Antigliadin IgA 15 (Normal Range <10 Units)

Fecal Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 10 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)

Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score 352 Units (Normal Range <300 Units)

Fecal anti-casein (cow’s milk) IgA antibody 11 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0503

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0503

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 1,1 (Subtype 5,5)

Acute/Chronic Colitis Stool Test

Fecal lactoferrin Negative (Normal - Negative)

Aiden - 7/29/06 No known allergies thus far, but will be raised on gluten-free/CF/soy-free diet since both DH and I carry GS gene.

Playdough is the big one.

Tori just started K and we got her some gluten-free playdough from Discount School Supplies and sent it to school.

Most crayola products are ok but what we did was go to the school and meet with the art teacher, class teacher etc. and got them to show us all of the supplies they use. We took down product info and phone numbers and called them all up to see if they were gluten-free.

Guest nini
I've read that Gluten is in some school supplies like finger paint,crayons and glue.

Anyone know the right ones to get and what not to get.

and does wal mart carry anything Gluten-Free as far as school supplies?

feel free to e-mail me directly at nisla@comcast.net if you have other questions that I might be able to help with. As was mentioned before, my daughter is 6 and in first grade and we've been doing this for 3 years now, so while I may not have all the answers, I may be able to point you in the right direction.

I have some lists of safe school supplies, I can't remember if i put one in the newbie survival kit or not, but if it's not in there you can e-mail me and I'll send you the lists.