Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jim mc

Hot Dog Buns

I'm new to all of this and I miss the wheat breads

Does any one have any ideas on making a good hot dog bun

also I am finding that yeast is not handled well in a lot of the easy to find recepies (put yeast in milk and let foam for 5 min) doesn't work well... instead use water and a little flour and a touch of sugar and in 5 min you have a mini songe that really takes of and the bread is twice as high when baked (add powdered milk in the dry stuff)

Another thing that works for me is instead of oil I use shortening cut into the dry ingredients (nicer taste)... oil...yuk.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Does any one have any ideas on making a good hot dog bun

also I am finding that yeast is not handled well in a lot of the easy to find recepies (put yeast in milk and let foam for 5 min) doesn't work well... instead use water and a little flour and a touch of sugar and in 5 min you have a mini songe that really takes of and the bread is twice as high when baked (add powdered milk in the dry stuff)

Another thing that works for me is instead of oil I use shortening cut into the dry ingredients (nicer taste)... oil...yuk.

Hi,

I make great hamburger and hot dog buns by using Bob's Red Mill bread mix pkg (or I mix the dough from scratch) and putting the dough into either little round cookie cutters (4" x1") that I got at Kitchen Collection for about 50c for Hamburger buns, or putting the dough into a square cake pan (you get 3 lg or 4 narrow hot dog buns) or you can put it into a bread pan and get 2. You just don't put much dough in so they don't get too big. For the hot dog buns I cool the pans and then cut them into how many I want and then slice them in the middle. They freezer great. I got 24 cookie cutters so I can do 2 doz. hamb buns at a time. I am slowly buying stainless steel square cake pans from Kitchen Collection and will someday do multiple hot dogs buns as well. They do make hot dog and hamburger bun pans, but they are aluminum. Carol Fenster says to make your own little molds by crumpling up aluminum foil into the size you want, but we stay totally away from aluminum because of Alzheimers in our family so we stick with stainless steel, glass or enameled materials. Our 18 year old son thought the buns were wonderful! I think you can use just about any recipe or pkg and get great buns if you don't put too much dough in or let them rise too long. They rise while baking too...Enjoy!

That's very interesting--my usualy complaint about the breads I make is either that they don't rise at all or they rise and fall (except for Annalise Roberts' bread recipes, but she doesn't proof the yeast at all,w hich is interesting).

Would you mind very much posting a specific recipe? What kind of flour do you use and how much?

Fixed

Don't hit the tab key while working on a posting....it will will fly away ready or not

Re: Would you mind very much posting a specific recipe? What kind of flour do you use and how much?

This will work with Bob's red mill gluten-free bread mix if you don't want to start from scatch ...proof the yeast with warm water and add 2/3 cup of milk powder to the dry stuff.

Favorite White Bread

Adapted and modified from recipe by Red Star ® Yeast and Products

WET INGREDIENTS:

3 large eggs

1 tsp cider vinegar

1 1/4 cups very warm water (reserve for proofing the yeast)

2 ¼ tsp RED STAR ® Active Dry Yeast (or a good dried yeast packet)

Proof yeast in water w/ some of the flour and and a little sugar, like a mini sponge(it doesn’t have to rise and collapse) It must be well started and very puffy. When mixing the yeast get every where it is suppose to

DRY INGREDIENTS:

1½ cups white rice flour

½ cup sorghum flour

1/2 cup potato starch

1/2 cup tapioca flour

1/3 cup cornstarch

11/4 Tbsp xanthan gum

3 Tbsp sugar

1 ½ tsp salt

2/3 cup dry milk

( you may wish to think about 1 tbl lecithin granuals)

1/4 cup vegetable shortening,cut into the dry stuff

TABLE MIXER METHOD: (heave duty...a light duty one will go up in smoke sooner or later)

1. Preheat oven to 350 F

2. In a small bowl, mix eggs, vinegar, and .( I think that dough enhancer is a better choice for the vinegar) start proofing the yeast in a separate container

3. In the mixer bowl, combine flours, xanthan, sugar, salt, dry milk.

4. dump in the wet ingredients and the proofed yeast mini sponge mix well with a wooden spoon

5. beat with the table electric mixer on medium for 3 min. (not the dough hooks) Dough should be stiffer than a cake batter, but not as stiff as a cookie dough, it wii be very sticky. If the dough appears too dry, add water, one tablespoon at a time.

6. pat batter into oil sprayed bread panwith a spatula. A5 x 9 pan should be about half full and leveled

7 when the risen dough peeks over the top edge of the pan it is ready to go in the oven.

8. Bake at 350 F for 45 - 50 min Check for a hollow sound when tapped.

Re:Thanks so much! What do the lecithin granules do? (And where do you buy them?)

It is a dough enhancer and fixes the texture ( also an emulient ) but who cares

I got mine from Bob's red mill store... the King aurther store in Vt. also has it

Any health food store carries the lecitin .

Re: Vinegar~dough enhancer

the dough enhancer that I know about is ascorbic acid which I get from a vitamin strore, VitaminWorld, and is known to the health people as vitamin C Crystals (as ascorbic acid) One should check the contents listing to see what else is in there. Milk sugar may be one of the also contains, and changes the potency. Mine doesn't

The amount to use is between a 1 tsp to 1 Tbsp Depending on your expectations, results and the recipe.

For a single loaf start with a teaspoon, the reasons for increase runs with how long the bread will seem fresh. Too much will produce a sharp after taste. (for some)