Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kimber

? About Aramanth And Other Gluten Subsitutes

Hi

My ds/ds are on a gluten-free diet

I went to the gluten free store and started loading my cart with Amaranth (sp?) and other like products

My kids are 18mnth and 3yrs...is there anything I need to know about these foods/products?

My ds has a hard time with hard to digest foods etc

I don't even know what they are

Thanks, Kim

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Did you get whole grains or processed ? I have problems with most processed / refined grains, so I stick to the whole grains.

These can all be cooked just like you do rice. I prefer my grains well cooked so I use 2 and 1/2 cups of water to 1 cup of grains. It takes approximately 30 minutes on low to cook.

You have to watch for reactions to new foods. A little stomach distress is acceptable. No serious "D", "C", cramping, bloating, reflux, vomitting, hives, etc :P

I love buckwheat or quinoa with cinamon, brown sugar, pecans and apples.

Hope this helps .. Marcia

Jan 1990 - Dx CFS/ME/FM (URI's, Ataxia, myoclonus, orthostatic hypotension, insomnia, brain fog, swollen lymph nodes, sore throat... ) Completely Disabled (housebound and bedridden at times)

2004 - Digestive pain all the time.

May 2004 - Hiatal hernia, erosive gastritis, gastroparesis (endoscopy)

August 2004 - Colon polyps, diverticulitus, internal hemorrhoids (colonoscopy)

No relief from Nexium, Prilosec, Protonix, Zelnorm, Miralax, Imodium, Lomotil ...

July 2005 - GP recommended WFDFSFEFCF + vegan (Also, anything that hurts free)

Immediately stopped needing naps and digestive pain reduced.

Sept 2005 - GFDFCFSFEF + chemical free - Immediately stopped feeling jittery / buzzing and digestive issues were much better.

June 2006 - Dx B12 and iron deficient. Started B12 injections and using cast iron pan.

August 2006 - MYOCLONUS GONE. (off Klonopin)

September 2006 - ATAXIA, INSOMNIA and Feeling like the floor was moving under my feet gone.

June 19, 2007 - Positive DQ2, Dx Celiac

October 2007 - Sleeping like a baby, waking up with energy, but still having fatigue/stamina issues

Nov 2007 - Started Paleo diet for chronic hypoglycemia

April 2008 - GTT normal. I'm no longer hypoglycemic. Started Low oxalate diet for kidney stones.

May 1, 2008 - Began salt loading for OI/NMH - noticed immediately muscle weakness was gone. I was sodium deficient but my labs don't reflect it. Still working on OI and PEM.

amaranth is super healthy. i think it was used by people in south america for thousands of years (?) it isn't actually a grain---it is a seed. quinoa and buckwheat are also seeds. if i'm looking into trying a new food, i check out www.nutritiondata.com

positive tTG and antigliadin blood tests for celiac (summer 2006)

positive dietary response

environmental and food allergies.

I am also a fan of whole grain amaranth. I've used it in combination with beans and sausage and canned tomatoes to make a creamy sort of dish that was quite tasty.

I haven't tried the boxed snacks.

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

i love amaranth flour as my top choice in all of my baking.

i also like the whole grain.

Gluten-free, Vegan

LOL! Every time I have tried amaranth anything it tastes like how mildew smells to me. My mom also thought the same. No one else would even try it. We tried several different brands and batches of flour thinking we had gotten a bad batch since so many people love it. But it all tated like mildew.

-Laurie

Warning - I got NU-World amaranth flakes and they literally tasted like dirt!

Oh, yes. I agree. I avoid all of their products as a result of being tricked by them once. I never trust a gluten-free compnay that steals my money once. I like kinnikinnick. I think i finally spelled that correctly. :) you can order kinkinkinkinkinki foods right from their web site. I keep it in my favorites so I never have to spell it again.

The American Diet of Chips, soda, ice cream, Goldfish Crackers, bread for breakfast (cereal, donuts, waffles, toast, bagels) cereal bars, "gummies", candy, msg, dairy products of all kinds, soy, and other chemicals - is Killing us and promoting diseases. BE HEALTHY. EAT NATURAL FOODS. DO NOT INGEST CHEMICALS! If you cannot pronounce it, do not eat it. Use Coconut oil. Eat herbs in salads. NO DAIRY. LOVE YOURSELF. LOVE YOUR FAMILY. FOOD IS MEDICINE!