This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Great News About Cheeseburger In Paradise!

CarlaB

CarlaB Enthusiast

We went to Cheeseburger in Paradise in Bloomington, IN last Friday night. I asked for the gluten-free menu, and the manager brought the freshly printed version off the internet to me. Last time I was there, the sweet potato chips were not marked gluten-free and it had always been disappointing to me as it didn't seem that it would be that big of deal to make them gluten-free. They were marked gluten-free this time! I wanted to be sure, so I walked over to the manager and asked him about it. He said they've always had a dedicated fryer and he thought they had always been gluten-free (must have previously been an issue with seasoning?).

Later, my husband was away from the table, the manager came over, sat down, and chatted for a while. He said they had just had a seminar all about celiac and cooking gluten-free. They really take it seriously and use clean pots, pans and cookware whenever anything is ordered gluten-free. This is why I only like to go to restaurants trained in cooking gluten-free! It was so hard to teach myself to cook this way that it seems risky to eat somewhere that is not trained! We need to support these restaurants so that in the future other chains may follow suit. I know that Carrabas and Outback are both part of this same chain (I thought PF Changs was, too, but he didn't mention them).

I thought there would be people out there who would want to know the new status of the sweet potato chips!! They were GREAT btw! So was my burger and mojito!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gf4life Enthusiast

That is great! I wish there was one located in California. They really need to expand and come on over to the West Coast!

wolfie Enthusiast

I really can't say enough good things about this restaurant! We eat there at least once per week and they know who I am and make sure that my & DS's food is safe. :) Last week we had a server we hadn't had before and turns out he works with kids who have autism and a lot of those kids are on gluten-free/CF diets, so he is very familiar with the gluten-free part. Most of the servers (and the kitchen staff) know my order without me even telling them and it is always great!!!! I usually get the bacon burger and fries (no seasoning b/c their seasoning has soy in it). DS eats his with the seasoning and loves it.

I may have to give those chips a try! :)

almostnrn Explorer

Carla, thanks so much for the info! When we are in Columbus every other weekend or we love to stop there so the next time I may get those sweet potato chips. I crave their salads and wish there was one a little closer to home here but I'll make due :P . Its wonderful to know that they are trained so well and very reassuring as well. Yippee for restaurants that are celiac friendly!!!

kabowman Explorer

Wow, thanks Carla - we were there Saturday evening. I had tried to order the sweetpototo chips before but the manager or owner had said no, next time we go out for a mini date, I will be ordering those chips!!!! No seasoning due to the soy.

This time, I could have met you at Nick's for lunch too - no plans and no emergency trips to the docs office. Maybe next time.

lindalee Enthusiast

I believe that outback is being bought out. Not sure who but I hope they keep up with the gluten-free menu.

Have been feeling safer at Carrabas - did talk to the manager at C in Paradise last time and explained the cross contamination issues. He was unaware but thanked me and said he would intstuct his staff. Having that meeting is great!

These places are wonderful. Noticed since the possible buy out especially Carrabas has been packed. I usually get the chicken brian. Didn't care for the salmon. Does anyone have a favorite? I always get chicken brian.

It is my understanding outback, cheeseburger in paradise and carrabas are all one organization. Sure hope they stay gluten-free if this sell goes thru.

CarlaB Enthusiast
Wow, thanks Carla - we were there Saturday evening. I had tried to order the sweetpototo chips before but the manager or owner had said no, next time we go out for a mini date, I will be ordering those chips!!!! No seasoning due to the soy.

This time, I could have met you at Nick's for lunch too - no plans and no emergency trips to the docs office. Maybe next time.

I've had a low energy level lately (going in for more testing to see what else is wrong), so I didn't try to set something up this time because I wanted to save what little energy I had for visiting my daughter (I know that sounds lame, but it's true! :) ). I'll be back in December, maybe we can meet then. I did eat lunch at Nick's Friday before my haircut.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kabowman Explorer

I completely understand. I go though my ups and downs too but I think mine is tied to my anemia that I am still dealing with - today is not an up day.

Went to Nick's for lunch on Thursday - looks like our schedules are off by a little bit. Hope you still had a great visit and don't worry about trying to fit something in, families are first.

Archived