This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Hate To Cook/clean Up

kevsmom

kevsmom Contributor

Usually It is just me that I'm making dinner for. I have been living on Purdue ShortCuts, Success rice (cooks in bags in 10 minutes) and a a package of frozen veggies. I sprinkle a little bit of garlic salt on it. That gives me dinner, and lunch for the next day. It's quick and easy to clean up, but I'm getting really bored.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I really don't want to spend any more time in the kitchen than I have to.

Cindy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

Water and boullion (or broth), rice noodles, frozen shrimp, and frozen veggies (all heated long enough to get everything hot and the noodles cooked) makes for a very quick, one pot soup - chili oil adds a touch of spicy flavor, but the key ingredient here that will make or break the soup is the boullion or broth.

Tuna, made with avocado if you can't have dairy and don't like mayo ;), with chopped tomato, red onion, and wrapped in lettuce leaves. Add an apple for dessert for this light meal.

Chili is actually *very* fast, as far as time in the kitchen - you just have to brown the meat, then add in a can or two of beans, a can or two of tomatoes, and spices (I use cumin, chili powder, and cayanne). If you're feeling fancy, you can dice half an onion. The prep time is about 10 minutes (from opening the fridge to putting the lid on), then you let it sit on low for 20-30 minutes while you don't need to be anywhere near the kitchen (check once or twice to make sure it's not burning), and it's good. Another one-pot wash-up.

Grilled meat and grilled veggies are also quick, and require washing no dishes but the plates you eat on. (A grill is really a good way to reduce cleaning.)

Roasting a chicken in the oven may take 2 hours or so of cook time, but if you get a probe thermometer, all you need to spend in the kitchen is about 15 to get the chicken in the pot, throw some spices on it, chop an onion into big chunks, same with a few carrots (and may some other veggies too), toss in some baby potatoes, put the probe thermometer in and set the temperature, and stick it in the oven. Just one pan to wash.

Making a big pot of rice one day, and using the leftovers for lots of things helps. Fried rice (even just what is essentially scrambled eggs, brown rice, and soy sauce) makes a great quick meal that only takes one pot if you have leftover rice.

elonwy Enthusiast

My current quick and easy is Lundberg Farms Risotto ( kinda like rice a roni without the pasta) and then I add frozen veggies and frozen shrimp when I add the water. Depending on the variety I'll either wrap it in a corn Tortilla or just eat it by itself. Not sure what your other intolerances are ( some of the rice mixes have dairy) but it sure adds variety to the whole rice and veggies thing and makes dinner and lunch in one box. ( I do have small portion sizes though, I don't eat much at one sitting.

Elonwy

Archived