Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

daffadilly

Chocolate Cupcakes

here is my chocolate cupcake recipe - it could be a cake but I always made cupcakes for the grandkids

Chocolate Cupakes

1 Cup of Brown Sugar (I put a scant cup of brown sugar then added some white sugar to fill the cup)

1/2 Cup Unsalted Butter (1 stick)

2 Eggs

2 Teaspoons Vanilla

1/2 Cup Buttermilk

1/2 Cup PLUS two Tablespoons Milk

Dry ingredients:

1/2 Cup Soy Flour

1/2 Cup Potato Starch

1/2 Cup Tapioca Flour

1/2 Cup Cocoa Powder

1 1/4 Teaspoons Baking Soda

3/4 Teaspoon Salt

1 Scant Teaspoon Xanthan Gum (I did not fill the spoon completely)

Place all dry ingredients in a small bowl & stir to mix flours.

Cream butter and sugar using a mixer, add eggs & vanilla, mix, add milks & flours alternately beginning & ending with the flour. I am an old time baker & this was the rule I learned for cakes before there were cake mixes!!!! What I do is pour some flour in, mix, then half the milk, mix, then a little more flour, mix, then the rest of the milk, mix, then the rest of the flour, & mix. The batter looks a little thick -

Put 12 cup cake liners in muffin tins - fill each one - they will be full. bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 25 minutes. Done - when a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. These will rise & be rounded on top, like a muffin. If you do not want the large cupcakes you could make extra cupcakes. Or use the tiny little cupcake liners.

I think you could also make a cake out of this. I loved these & could not tell the difference from regular cupcakes!! I will be making some for a celiac disease friend that does not cook!!!

We iced ours with powdered sugar icing. & put sprinkles on for the kids.

I do not measure much for my icing - but I start off with a stick of butter & mix in some powered sugar about 1 box, then add canned cream till all is mixed along with a teaspoon of vanilla. For Chocolate just add some cocoa powder with the powdered sugar.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

These are FANTASTIC!!! I made them and took them to my celiac support group meeting, and when they bit into the cupcakes, conversation came to an abrupt stop--eyes got big, smiles got bigger--everyone LOVED them! The texture is the lightest and cakiest of any I've tried so far. Thank you sooooOOOOooOOOOoooOOOOoo much for sharing the recipe!

Susanna

Diagnosed in March 2006 by blood test and biopsy. Eleven year old son diagnosed in May 2006. Both gluten-free since diagnosis.

The Susanna (Flagstaff, AZ)

"I GOTTA have more cowbell!."

--The legendary Bruce Dickenson