Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Corkdarrr

When It Comes To Cheese

So after the most horrendous shift at work the other day, I went up the street to my favorite bar to sit in peace for a little while. The reason it became my favorite bar was because they have the most amazing cheese sticks on the menu...they make them totally by hand. YUM.

After becoming a cheese-oriented customer, I realized that I liked the place itself, too!

So I'm sitting up there they other night, still reeling from my most awful of nights. On top of being pissed off from work, I'm extremely frustrated with my health because it seems like my body is rejecting pretty much all foods now. I just tried adding back in soy and tomatoes (one at a time, of course) and I guess those both make me sick. I'm feeling severe exhaustion and fatigue...much too reminiscent of when my thyroid first crashed 13 years ago. My period's about to start so yikes. I'm starting to fall behind in school and it's right at the end of the semester, so there's a lot to fall behind with. And my boyfriend is closing on a house in less than a week, so I have until the end of the month to move us out of our place and get the new place ready. (He works retail and isn't really allowed any days off over the holiday season. So it's alllll me..)

So I'm sitting there, at the bar, trying to decide if I should order some cheese sticks. To just say SCREW IT! I want some deep fried, gluten encased cheese!! And I want it now! I was wrestling with my inner self.

And it reminded me of how you see recovering alcoholics in the movies where they go into a bar and order a double of bourbon and just stare it down for a few minutes. And then walk away, successful.

That's how I felt.

Except instead of bourbon it was cheese.

In the end, I decided that due to my sheer exhaustion and fatigue, I simply didn't have enough energy to be sick for the minimum three days I knew it would take me. Plus with the elimination diet and my system having gotten so much better (until the soy and tomatoes, that is), it probably would've hitten me even harder.

Still, I couldn't help but see the humor in my near-relapse. And how serious it was to me at the time! Hell, it's STILL serious to me! That's how much I love cheese. And that's how strongly I believe in its healing abilities.

Healing of the soul, that is. Not the body. Apparently it rips up my intestines...

It's been over a month without dairy and it certainly hasn't gotten any easier.

Courtney

Courtney - 25

Columbia, SC

Gluten-free since July 8, 2006

Casein-free since October 16, 2006

Went six weeks, and fell back into a deliciously painful world of cheese.

Casein-free (again and for serious this time) December 11, 2006

Stupid cheese addiction....2/07

Dx Hypothyroid in 1993

Dx Gluten & Casein Sensitive through Enterolab 10/06

Dx Adrenal *Exhaustion* 2/07

Originally from WI, I am still in denial over my newfound casein intolerance. I fear I will not be allowed back into the state if I can no longer eat cheese and drink milk. This could pose some trouble over holidays when I wish to visit my family. It also poses a problem involving the severe rage I feel when I have to throw away somebody's unfinished cheese sticks. That is so wrong.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Courtney,

Congratulations on your strength over the cheese! :D

Seriously, I know how much of a struggle this has all been for you, and how difficult it was to just walk away from your favorite treat. This all takes time, and there are bound to be moments like the one you had--but it will get easier!

Hope work eases up a bit--feel better :)

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Thanks Patti.

Of course, my boyfriend just called to tell us our real estate agent was confused <_< and the repairs would NOT be done on the house by closing next Monday. Which has my mind a-whirl....

Sigh. :blink:

Courtney - 25

Columbia, SC

Dx Hypothyroid in 1993

Originally from WI, I am still in denial over my newfound casein intolerance. I fear I will not be allowed back into the state if I can no longer eat cheese and drink milk. This could pose some trouble over holidays when I wish to visit my family. It also poses a problem involving the severe rage I feel when I have to throw away somebody's unfinished cheese sticks. That is so wrong.

I can very much relate to what you are going through. I just found out yesterday through my enterolab results that I have to give up dairy. I have given up everything else and now my one favorite treat, coffee with 1/2 and 1/2 is on the list. So, I went out and bought some non dairy alternatives and we'll see how it goes but I've tried them before and they just don't take the place of the real thing. I'm trying to focus on what I can still eat and trying to find some new treats. My doctor told me yesterday, that even though it will be hard to live without gluten, dairy, sugar and so on, I will be healthier for it.

Those cheese sticks sounds wonderful by the way. Good luck and hang it there!

Gluten Free Since 10/06

Perhaps you are indeed addicted to teh protein in the cheese, courtney. It has been proven with autistic children that there is a protein in dairy that they crave much to thier detriment. You would have to look into it.

The American Diet of Chips, soda, ice cream, Goldfish Crackers, bread for breakfast (cereal, donuts, waffles, toast, bagels) cereal bars, "gummies", candy, msg, dairy products of all kinds, soy, and other chemicals - is Killing us and promoting diseases. BE HEALTHY. EAT NATURAL FOODS. DO NOT INGEST CHEMICALS! If you cannot pronounce it, do not eat it. Use Coconut oil. Eat herbs in salads. NO DAIRY. LOVE YOURSELF. LOVE YOUR FAMILY. FOOD IS MEDICINE!

I can very much relate to what you are going through. I just found out yesterday through my enterolab results that I have to give up dairy. I have given up everything else and now my one favorite treat, coffee with 1/2 and 1/2 is on the list. So, I went out and bought some non dairy alternatives and we'll see how it goes but I've tried them before and they just don't take the place of the real thing. I'm trying to focus on what I can still eat and trying to find some new treats. My doctor told me yesterday, that even though it will be hard to live without gluten, dairy, sugar and so on, I will be healthier for it.

Those cheese sticks sounds wonderful by the way. Good luck and hang it there!

Be careful, most non-dairy creamers have casein :angry: Silk creamer doesn't, but let your coffee cool off just a little before you use it otherwise it burns. I've also used Vance's Dari-Free ... for cream, I like it mixed with almond milk instead of water.

Courtney, good job!

gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

I can certainly empathize... for years even though I KNEW I was allergic to dairy I would find many ways to sneak some cheese; that was my strongest weakness (even stronger than ice-cream was at one time)! But, like you, I found the strength within me to say no once, then twice...until it's now an ingrained thing that cheese is the enemy!! It took me long enough! Now I'm in greiving over my recent "loss" of eggs and potatoes... hope nothing else is next... :(

Gluten-free since 10/05 - Positive dietary response with Doctor's validation! - Debilitating migraines, constant dizziness and lightheadedness gone; anxiety & panic attacks, depression, agoraphobia and extreme exhaustion considerably lessoned

Dairy/Casein Intolerant

Soy, Cabbage, Sugar, Peanut, Shellfish, Caffeine, Egg, Potato and Tomato allergies / intolerances

Sporadic reactions to: Poultry

Avoiding all preservatives and additives

Also Multiple Chemical/Environmental Sensitivities

Mitral Valve Prolapse

Pulmonary Embolism - 1999

Dance, when you're broken open.

Dance, if you've torn the bandage off.

Dance in the middle of fighting.

Dance in your blood.

Dance, when you are perfectly free.

RUMI

I feel your pain! My husband and I used to eat the mozzarella sticks at Red Robin's...oh, they were so good! I'm proud of you for resisting though! That rocks! I almost broke down and went to Wendys for nuggets and a couple JBC's the other day....it was so hard not to! Have you tried using lactaid? Or is yours an intolerance? I know I get sick if I eat a lot of dairy, but a bit doesn't bother me too much. I think mines just an IBS thing. But when I went off dairy for 2 months I nearly died...soy cheese doesn't cut it!

((HUG))

Hang in there! The semester's almost over (thank the Lord for that!), and your body will be much happier for not eating the bad foods! We need to come up with a good substitute recipe! Do you eat tofu? I remember making a recipe that tasted rather chicken nuggety when I was DF, and I could try and find it for you if you want :)

Have a beautiful day!!

Sweetfudge

Born and raised in Portland, OR; Currently living in Provo, UT

Gluten-free since June 2006

Also living with Hypoglycemia since 1991

Dairy-free for good since summer 2008

Started IBS diet and probiotics at GI's recommendation - Fall 2008

Also avoiding: potatoes, beans, crucifers, popcorn, most red meat, coconut milk :(

Started eating a Paleo diet Spring 2011. Love it!

The grass is always greener where you water it.

I feel your pain! My husband and I used to eat the mozzarella sticks at Red Robin's...oh, they were so good! I'm proud of you for resisting though! That rocks! I almost broke down and went to Wendys for nuggets and a couple JBC's the other day....it was so hard not to! Have you tried using lactaid? Or is yours an intolerance? I know I get sick if I eat a lot of dairy, but a bit doesn't bother me too much. I think mines just an IBS thing. But when I went off dairy for 2 months I nearly died...soy cheese doesn't cut it!

((HUG))

Hang in there! The semester's almost over (thank the Lord for that!), and your body will be much happier for not eating the bad foods! We need to come up with a good substitute recipe! Do you eat tofu? I remember making a recipe that tasted rather chicken nuggety when I was DF, and I could try and find it for you if you want :)

Have a beautiful day!!

Thanks, Sweetfudge...

Unfortunately Enterolab gave me a free casein test (jerks) which told me I was casein intolerant (jerks jerks JERKS!!). I'm still in denial. I always knew I had a problem with dairy, but it only seemed to bother me when I ate a LOT in one day. Apparently it's my body warring against itself, not just lactose.

I've since gone on an elimination diet in the past month and the first thing I reintroduced was soy, which gave me a lot of trouble. The second thing was tomatoes, which also caused me grief.

So I'm back to eating virtually nothing... :blink:

But perhaps some day I can tolerate some soy so as to eat substitutes such as you mentioned. :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the support, everyone! The battle against myself has a long way to go. I'm hungry for some deep fried gluten encased cheese as I type....

Mmm....illness.

Courtney - 25

Columbia, SC

Dx Hypothyroid in 1993

Okay.....BREATHE!!!!!

Life can be such a crock sometimes can't it?? I'm sorry the past few days/weeks have been crappy. But you have to keep your chin up and remember that it could be worse....just take one day at a time and everything will fall into place....if you need my help w/ moving or whatever, e-mail me...or if it would make you feel better i'll take you for french fries at the new Red Robin to cheer you up!!! Last I heard they were safe..... :P

Hang in there and remember you are NOT alone.....we all have our bad days. Tomorrow is a new day!!!

~Turtle~