Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jmengert

Spectrum Shortening?

In addition to gluten-free, I'm dairy free and soy free, as I'm trying to figure out what is still making me feel ill. So, I bought Spectrum's shortening (the one made only of palm oil), and I would like to substitute it for butter in a cookie recipe that calls for 1 cup of butter--is that too much to substitute, or do you think it would work okay?

Thanks to all the chefs out there who can help!

*Julie*

Gluten free since December 2004

Soy free since June 2005

Dairy free since July 2006

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi Julie,

I use Spectrum, and substitute it exactly for butter. It has worked perfectly every time :)

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Great! Even though I've been doing this for two years now, I'm still not exactly the greatest cook. I didn't want to get my mouth all watered for cookies and have it be a disaster :)

Thanks!

*Julie*

Gluten free since December 2004

Soy free since June 2005

Dairy free since July 2006

I use Spectrum sometimes too. Make sure you add salt to the recipe though or it will taste funny. I always leave the salt out when I'm baking with butter, since it's already salty, and the first cookies I made with Spectrum had a funny taste because I didn't think of it.

Liz

Started Specific Carbohydrate Diet on 8-16-09 because son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and want to give him moral support.

Diagnosed with Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome in 2003. Discovered that going completely gluten-free put me in remission.

I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Psalms 27:13