This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Depression

dmbaird1230

dmbaird1230 Apprentice

Has anyone had the symptom of depression with the celiac? Has it gotten better with a gluten free diet? I've read a lot of things saying that depression can be a symptom of celiac disease, I just was wondering if it gets better w/ a gluten-free diet.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lovegrov Collaborator

Some people do have depression and some people -- though not all -- do get better with the diet. Actually, it seems to me that most people with depression improve at least some on the diet, but not all are "cured."

richard

Alexolua Explorer
Has anyone had the symptom of depression with the celiac?

I totally did. But I don't think I'd blame it as something from Celiac. More a result of my health getting worse and worse. Suffering, losing out on life, and having doctors be absolutely no help at all. I ended up getting better from that, maybe improved dealing or coping skills. And that was long before I knew about Celiac and before I went gluten-free.

So in my experience, Celiac can cause Depression, because it makes life suck. So if that's why yer depressed, most certainly should improve when your life improves.

Not speaking for anyone else. Just how I was effected.

Good luck. =)

Canadian Karen Community Regular

I have struggled with depression for years. I am currently on two different anti-depressants to battle depression. But to answer your question about a gluten-free diet alleviating depression - I can't really answer you on that because we are currently still trying to get the celiac under control - chronic (permanent) diarrhea.... I have recently discovered two different contaminants I was ingesting, so we are now at square one again, hoping to see some improvement soon....

For years, the time of the year worst for me was from November through to February, so the doctor was treating me for S.A.D., but I truly believe it is celiac related (along with my hypothyroidism, which depression is also associated with....)

Have a great day!

Karen

j9n Contributor

Right now I think I am fighting a bit of depression. I think it comes from frustration. Little things seems to pile up and it drives me crazy. I love Amys pizza and now the health food store changed hands and they don't carry it or Tinkyada pasta. Stupid things like that. I want to travel and I am so afraid of getting ill. My family is trying very hard to adjust for me and I am trying to balance what is good for them and what is good for me. All of it has to do with dealing with this disease and not alot of medical support, I guess. My home life is good, my work life is good, I guess I need to put food way down on the bottom of the list mentally. Plus I think I am very perimenopausal. I am trying very hard to fight this.

Ok, I am done. :)

Canadian Karen Community Regular

Hi Janine.

I am a bit in the same boat as you.....

I am trying not to let this disease have a major impact on the day to day life of my husband and my children, but sometimes it is very hard to be vigilant about being gluten free and also cook/feed a husband and four small children with gluten flying all over the place!!! Just tonight, I was having some leftovers from yesterday (it was our 12th anniversary, so we had a quaint BBQ with steak, baked potato and some mushrooms, green peppers, onions cooked on the BBQ.) The kids also wanted some Kraft Dinner. My dh helped put away the leftovers. Well, today I was eating the heated up mushroom, green peppers and onions and just as I was getting near the bottom of the container, there were two Kraft Dinner noodles in the bottom!!! I am praying I didn't ingest any of the gluten..... (I will know later on tonight....) Dh just doesn't get how important it is to be sooooo careful!!!

Sooner or later, I hope to pound it into his noggin!!!!

Karen

Guest ~wAvE WeT sAnD~

I had my first instance of depression today (since I've been gluten-free). Before that, I was depressed for five months, several weeks on/off. It was a combination of generally feeling crappy/crabby, anxiety, stress, and trying to explain celiac disease to the celiac disease ignorant, Gluten-eating portion of the population. Today, I can't explain it. I've gotten hypersensitive and every word out of someone's mouth has made me cry (particularly my strict father--he claims to be angry when he's scared. He thinks that because of my health issues I will not be able to take care of myself, but that's another story, and I tend to be verbose).

You're not alone, and life gets better--I guess I'm still learning the ups and downs of celiac disease--or the chemical imbalance in my brain from malnutrition has not healed yet--I've only been on th diet for four/four and half weeks or so.

Hang in there,

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived