Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hannahsue01

Hyvee gluten-free Cake

Both of our daughters have a birthday party this weekend. I called HyVee and they do make gluten free cakes in there bakery. I don't know of anyone who has tasted one and wondered if any of you had? If you have what was your opionion of it.....what is the comparison to a non gluten-free cake as many of the people there are used to regualar cake but we do have ourselves as well as a few other family members who are celiac including one of our daughters that will be there. I don't want to waste $25 on a cake that will end up in the trash!

Myself-Age 25....I have had symptoms since at least 1998 if not since infancy (was diagnosed with malnutrition as a small child)...Positive results with gluten free diet!

Hannah-Age 5.....Has symptoms....Inconclusive blood tests....Positive diet response to both gluten free and lactose free!

Grace-Age 1.....Born at 29 weeks due to me having celiac....Has reflux and a feeding tube.

Husband-Not Celiac......has found that he does feel better when not eating allot of gluten.....is gluten free at home.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Both of our daughters have a birthday party this weekend. I called HyVee and they do make gluten free cakes in there bakery. I don't know of anyone who has tasted one and wondered if any of you had? If you have what was your opionion of it.....what is the comparison to a non gluten-free cake as many of the people there are used to regualar cake but we do have ourselves as well as a few other family members who are celiac including one of our daughters that will be there. I don't want to waste $25 on a cake that will end up in the trash!

Wow, very interesting. I had no idea that Hy-vee offered that. I guess I would be paranoid about cross contamination though. They probably use the same icing to frost gluten filled and gluten free cakes. I would be worried about their work surfaces being full of crumbs. Unless they had a dedicated area with dedicated tools and new frostings I would just not be able to buy it.......

-Jessica :rolleyes:

Jessica

Gluten Free since 12-31-2002!!

Kansas

Wow, very interesting. I had no idea that Hy-vee offered that. I guess I would be paranoid about cross contamination though. They probably use the same icing to frost gluten filled and gluten free cakes. I would be worried about their work surfaces being full of crumbs. Unless they had a dedicated area with dedicated tools and new frostings I would just not be able to buy it.......

My husband just got off the phone with one of there bakeries and she says they use a dedicated area and what not for these cakes. I guess hy-vee themselves don't make the cakes they just decorate them. We live in eastern Iowa and they order them from gluten free bakery in DesMoines and they deliver them to HyVee. Not every hy-vee in the area does this though. My problem is that niether of the hy-vees could tell me if the cakes tasted good or had a decent texture.

Myself-Age 25....I have had symptoms since at least 1998 if not since infancy (was diagnosed with malnutrition as a small child)...Positive results with gluten free diet!

Hannah-Age 5.....Has symptoms....Inconclusive blood tests....Positive diet response to both gluten free and lactose free!

Grace-Age 1.....Born at 29 weeks due to me having celiac....Has reflux and a feeding tube.

Husband-Not Celiac......has found that he does feel better when not eating allot of gluten.....is gluten free at home.

My husband just got off the phone with one of there bakeries and she says they use a dedicated area and what not for these cakes. I guess hy-vee themselves don't make the cakes they just decorate them. We live in eastern Iowa and they order them from gluten free bakery in DesMoines and they deliver them to HyVee. Not every hy-vee in the area does this though. My problem is that niether of the hy-vees could tell me if the cakes tasted good or had a decent texture.

That is great that they are "aware" enough to have a dedicated area. In reguards to the taste, If you slap enough frosting on anything it tastes good :P

Jessica

Gluten Free since 12-31-2002!!

Kansas