This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Finally... A Doctor With A Clue

clhsc

clhsc Apprentice

I had my first appointment with the Internist yesterday - he was amazing! He said I had classic Celiac symptoms, but would like to rule out ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease. So I have a colonoscopy scheduled for Dec. 4th. Since my dad has IBS (although they are working on a "real" diagnosis - see below) they want to rule out everything else so they can say it is just Celiac that they will be treating me for. He may follow up with an endoscopy the following week depending upon my blood test and the results from the colonoscopy, but only if I want to. I think I am going to wait and see how the tests turn out first.

And my doctor said that IBS is a symptom, not a disease. I was shocked, but he said that basically it means that they don't know what is causing your problems. Hopefully, this doctor will get things figured out and I can get a diagnosis and peace of mind (finally)! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest nini

that is great you found a Dr with a clue! that gives me hope!

jerseyangel Proficient

That is great! I wish there were more just like him :D

clhsc Apprentice

I'm kind of scared about a colonoscopy. How bad is it?

AmandaD Community Regular

I had a sigmoidoscopy - where you're actually AWAKE - my husband I both watched amazed as they maneuvered through the left part of my colon and took about 10 biopsies. It was weird, but not uncomfortable. With a colonoscopy you've got it easy because you'll be put to sleep.

My biopsies showed that I didn't have any colitis or Crohn's (I did have a little inflammatory polyp which was basically nothing...)...but it wasn't that bad at all. You're smart for doing it. (I ended up having to have the endoscopy and that showed that I had Celiac - that test was even easier because I was zonked out.)

A

clhsc Apprentice

Thanks for the advice Amanda!

CarlaB Enthusiast

The worst part of the colonoscopy is the preparation. I had my endoscopy done at the same time, seemed to make sense to me ... I don't know that I'd want to go through them both separately. I like to get it all over with. B)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient
I'm kind of scared about a colonoscopy. How bad is it?

I had one last year--the same day as my endo. It's really not so bad. The worst part is the prep the day before. You take or drink a laxative and end up spending some time in the bathroom. Keep some magazines handy :D

The procedure, for me, was a snap. I was asleep for the whole thing--I remember nothing from shortly after the IV went in until I woke up in recovery.

I felt fine when I woke up--a little groggy and thirsty at first, but able to get dressed and leave after a little while.

Have someone there with you in recovery, I forgot everything the doctor said to me. Since my husband was out in the waiting room, I had to ask the nurse to call the doctor back to tell me everything again. :ph34r:

debmidge Rising Star

My sister is in pharmaceutical field; in a cancer and GI division and went to a very large meeting where there were pharma reps and GI Doctors. It was stated that when a patient presents gastro symptoms in line with celiac (diarrhea, weight loss, etcl) it is recommended that a celiac panel blood test be done from the beginning.

So things are starting to get through to the Doctors.

clhsc Apprentice

I'm on clear liquids the day before, then 6:30 the morning of I start drinking that stuff. Does anyone else have low blood sugar and if so then what did you drink the day before to help you from getting so shaky?

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

I have to agree, the worst part happens the day before the test. I don't remember my colonoscopy or my endo. I had the "twilight sleep" I wish my tests had been the same day, I had the colon a year before then endo and I do remember being very nervous and not really knowing what to expect. Once it was over I just felt a sigh of relief.

Good Luck

i canary Rookie

Jerseyangel has it right. The day before is the worst of it. I ended up with a book :) . If the result wasn't bad enough the taste of the liquid laxative was nasty, nasty.

The procedure itself was a breeze. And once again Jerseyangel is right - have someone in the room with you when the doctor is talking because you aren't all there. I remember the next couple of hours as being very pleasant. Don't have any details about those hours, but I was in happyland.

Congrats on finding a such a great doctor. Wish more of us could.

Archived