Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest nini

The Closest Thing I've Found To A Real White Bread!

Guest nini

I know a lot of you have tried EnerG's rice loaf and have subsequently written off EnerG products. BUT I have to tell you, we got the EnerG LIGHT Tapioca Loaf and OMG! I put a couple slices on a paper towel in the microwave for 20-40 seconds until it was warm, made my sandwich and by the time I sat down to eat, just a minute later, it was the perfect temp. and tasted JUST LIKE the white breads I remember from my gluten days! My daughter looked at me in shock when she had her first bite and said "mommy did you give me gluten bread by mistake?" LOL! I said no honey! It's gluten-free!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I guess it would be worth a try, the regular EnergyBread is like eating sawdust, I wouldn't spend a cent on it. So far, I like Whole Foods Sandwich Bread the best of all the commercial breads I have tried. It makes a respectible sandwich, although not at all fluffy, but that is o.k. with me and it makes great toast and grilled sandwiches. I found something at Trader Joes that is so good, they are like English muffins and called Frech something, kind of buttery. They are really good. They have a selection of gluten-free things including breads. Barbara

I guess it would be worth a try, the regular EnergyBread is like eating sawdust, I wouldn't spend a cent on it. So far, I like Whole Foods Sandwich Bread the best of all the commercial breads I have tried. It makes a respectible sandwich, although not at all fluffy, but that is o.k. with me and it makes great toast and grilled sandwiches. I found something at Trader Joes that is so good, they are like English muffins and called Frech something, kind of buttery. They are really good. They have a selection of gluten-free things including breads. Barbara

i saw those french rolls at trader joes and was wondering about them...may get some next time.

gluten free since 7/21/06

I think it's good too! I never liked white bread, but I will eat this. It's extra yummy spread with garlic butter and romano cheese and fried on the pancake griddle. I even served it to my teenaged niece last weekend and she thought it was french bread.

Liz

Started Specific Carbohydrate Diet on 8-16-09 because son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and want to give him moral support.

Diagnosed with Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome in 2003. Discovered that going completely gluten-free put me in remission.

I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Psalms 27:13

I honestly only eat Kinnikinnick breads. I eat a LOT of sandwiches and thats the only bread that stays nice and soft and together when toasted/microwaved (and its the size of like a normal slice of bread). I also like the fact that they have a points system thats similar to mastercard--the more you spend the more points you earn and then you can redeem the points to reduce the price of your bill.

~ lisa ~

...Flames vs. Panthers, and Lifehouse, were best experiences OF MY LIFE!!...

...26 years old...

...Look in my forum profile for ways to read my public sports articles...

R.I.P. Uncle Gus (Sept. 21, 1971 - Oct. 2, 2004) ... R.I.P. Baba (Oct. 12, 1911 - Feb. 28, 2006) ... R.I.P. Uncle Lawrence (Aug. 7, 1943 - Jan. 4, 2009)

I was going to ask about the ingredients, but decided to do a google search and found out that it doesn't have anything in it that I can't have, including eggs. I'm going to go out and buy a loaf tomorrow.

Ingredients: Filtered Water, Rice Flour, Tapioca Starch, Cold Pressed High Oleic Safflower Oil, Pear Juice Concentrate, Organic Palm Oil, Bamboo Fiber, Yeast, Methylcellulose, Guar Gum, Organic Tapioca Syrup, Salt, Glucono Delta Lactone, Calcium Phosphate. Enriched with Thiamin (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Niacin, Iron and Folic Acid. Free of: gluten, wheat, casein, dairy, egg, soy, nut, potato, low protein

Valda

Enterolab results: ...two genes for gluten intolerance ...casein intolerance

other sensitivities: corn, eggs, soy, potato, tapioca

Hypoglycemic

Sensitivity to high EMFs [electromagnetic frequency] (limits my time in front of the computer)

Living a healthier, happier life.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me.Psalm 139: 9,10

Guest nini
I honestly only eat Kinnikinnick breads. I eat a LOT of sandwiches and thats the only bread that stays nice and soft and together when toasted/microwaved (and its the size of like a normal slice of bread). I also like the fact that they have a points system thats similar to mastercard--the more you spend the more points you earn and then you can redeem the points to reduce the price of your bill.

~ lisa ~

I honestly only ate Kinnikinnick breads for sandwiches too until I found this stuff. I still love Pamela's bread mix for the kind of bread you have with a meal... but the price is a lot better than Kinnikinnick and the flavor and texture are way better in my opinion.

I honestly only ate Kinnikinnick breads for sandwiches too until I found this stuff. I still love Pamela's bread mix for the kind of bread you have with a meal... but the price is a lot better than Kinnikinnick and the flavor and texture are way better in my opinion.

EnerG is an american company yes?? I believe I looked them up. Thats my issue--I'd have to pay a lot higher prices (and shipping costs) if I ordered it from here in Canada!! (while with Kinnikinnick its the $10 flat rate)...

I've rarely been able to find any EnerG products..just some of the junk food. I didnt even know they made bread :lol:

~ lisa ~

...Flames vs. Panthers, and Lifehouse, were best experiences OF MY LIFE!!...

...26 years old...

...Look in my forum profile for ways to read my public sports articles...

R.I.P. Uncle Gus (Sept. 21, 1971 - Oct. 2, 2004) ... R.I.P. Baba (Oct. 12, 1911 - Feb. 28, 2006) ... R.I.P. Uncle Lawrence (Aug. 7, 1943 - Jan. 4, 2009)

i saw those french rolls at trader joes and was wondering about them...may get some next time.

Trader Joe's french rolls are the exact same as Gillian's French Rolls - just with the TJ brand name. Cheaper too!

- Lauren

I LOVE EnerG Tapioca bread...I griddle it with rice vermicelli spaghetti, putting garlic and basil on it while it browns on the griddle...it's really, really good that way.

Plus I make French toast with it and eat pbj sandwiches (one of my all-time favorites!) with it.

I made stuffing with it one time too...GREAT stuffing. I cut the whole loaf into cubes, browned them on the griddle, and then added the seasonings and liquid and it came out a really good stuffing...just like the real thing. That's gonna be our stuffing on Thanksgiving this year!

Nini,

I have to agree. I use kinnikinnick and like it, but the very first bread I tried gluten free was the EnerG light. It makes a great sandwich toasted. I thought it was very good. I just haven't been able to get any in stores and the time I tried their regular bread, it was down right discusting!!!! I am thinking I will by some more though. I liked it, because it was light and didn't leave my stomach feeling heavy. Sometimes Kinnikinnick breads don't agree with me. I can only eat a small amount of them at a time.

Monica

Is the EnerG Light Tapioca loaf sold in the sealed packages with nitrogen gas? Or, is it frozen?

I'm wondering if I should look on the shelves or in the freezer section for this bread?

Suzie

London, ON, Canada

celiac disease diagnosed by pos tTG March 2006 and pos biopsy June 2006

Is the EnerG Light Tapioca loaf sold in the sealed packages with nitrogen gas? Or, is it frozen?

I'm wondering if I should look on the shelves or in the freezer section for this bread?

It's on the shelves. I think it says NOT to freeze it, but I always freeze mine, and haven't had any problems.

I agree with this Nini, and I actually never ate white bread before dx, but this is quite tolerable, I have used it toasted as hamburger buns also. Between this bread, the Whole Foods Sandwich bread, and the Food4Life brown rice sweetened w/ fruit juice, I think I can be okay, as far as bread goes. :)

SUSIE

Diagnosed January 2006

"I like nonsense. It wakes up the brain cells." ~Dr. Seuss

Guest nini
Amazon has this on sale for $14 for 6 loaves (free shipping).

Has anyone tried the light brown rice loaf? I never liked white bread so I'm wondering if the brown rice one might be more like wheat bread?

If I were to order it through amazon (in bulk), since I'm the only one gluten-free in my house, should I freeze the unopened loaves (even though they are suction packed)?

they have such a long shelf life that there is no need to freeze them when they are vacuum packed. The ones I just bought have an expiration date for 12/07 (a full year plus away) I haven't tried the light brown rice loaf so I can't vouch for that one.

Guest nini

I continue to be amazed with this bread... I just had egg sandwiches for breakfast and they are so yummy

Another great bread that I have found is Glutino (not Glutano) cornbread. It makes great toast.

Ditto this. It is not what you would normally consider corn bread. It is made from corn starch, not corn meal, so the bread looks like any other white bread out there.

I'm going to try to use it in my stuffing for turkey day. :)

Richard

"Not all who wander are lost" - J.R.R. Tolkien

Diagnosed 3/8/05

Sister also Celiac

Risus remedium optimum est

I think the Tapioca is OK. I have to tell you though - I but another EnerG type of bread yesterday and it is AWESOME! It is called Papa's Loaf. I just made a grilled cheese sandwich and I cannot believe how good it was! The slices are closer to traditional white bread than the Tapioca.

Tracy

- Dx by Derm with DH in Oct 2005 - both by bloodwork and skin biopsy.

- Dx with celiac disease in Nov 2005 by biopsy of small intestine.

- gluten-free since Oct 2005

where can I find this enerG bread I have only had one kind and it tasted like cardboard it was terrible. I haven't had bread since. Help me Please !!

rebecca

Diagnosed Celiac Sprue Disease August, 02, 2006

Blood test, No Biopsy

IgA off the scale 44 now 3

IgG 56

(tTG) IgA 25 now 2

(tTG) IgG 1 now 1

now border line low iron 10

Gluten Free since August, 02, 2007

Diagnosed with Osteoporosis November 2006

As of Jan 2007 all numbers looking good

As of Feb 2007 no more Pork, having Allergic reactions

Lactose Intolerence

Guest nini
where can I find this enerG bread I have only had one kind and it tasted like cardboard it was terrible. I haven't had bread since. Help me Please !!

rebecca

My local Health Food Store just started carrying it, check with any of the stores that you go to that already carry EnerG brand products and see if they can special order it for you or if they would consider carrying it. I think you can also order it directly from EnerG or from amazon .com

Make sure you get the LIGHT Tapioca loaf... I had sandwiches again with it for lunch today and it made me sooooo happy!

you also have to make sure that you still microwave it for a little bit to soften it up before making your sandwiches or whatever. If you are going to make grilled cheese sandwiches you don't need to microwave it first.

http://www.ener-g.com/store/detail.aspx?sn...;id=6&cat=2

Here's a link to Ener-G website. They are a sponsor on this board and you can find a link on the message board page if mine doesn't work.

You can order directly from them - there is even a section for those living in Canada - I did not read it though.

I have been eating the Tapioca and after I tried the Papa's Loaf I have a new favorite.

Tracy

Tracy

- Dx by Derm with DH in Oct 2005 - both by bloodwork and skin biopsy.

- Dx with celiac disease in Nov 2005 by biopsy of small intestine.

- gluten-free since Oct 2005

I just finished a sandwich with the bread & looooved it! The texture is just like real bread & it tastes like it too! :P:D It was so good! Thanks for sharing.

Guest nini
I just finished a sandwich with the bread & looooved it! The texture is just like real bread & it tastes like it too! :P:D It was so good! Thanks for sharing.

Oh I'm SOOOOOO glad you liked it!!!!! (I swear I've put on 5 pounds since discovering this bread! I really have to watch myself)

I got the bread on Friday at Nutrition Depot in Lawrenceville, GA (got last loaf) and it is pretty close to a cheap white bread for those who like that. I do like such a bread for a grilled cheese sandwich so that's what I'll have next but so far I heated a pc. let it cool and put peanut butter on it. It was quite good. Also, I think this bread would make a really good bread crumb. It does not have that gluten-free spongy texture which I find with most breads. I think Bry's Bread is the best white gluten-free white bread but I have to order online so that frt. is more than the loaf. This Ener-G bread is a close second and much more economical at $3.69 a loaf. Thanks for the tip Nisla! Happy turkey day everyone.

Dx'd with anemia - March 2005

Positive blood tests - Sept. 2005

Positive biopsy - Jan. 2006

Gluten free since 1-23-06