Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest AutumnE

Mccormick Spices?

Guest AutumnE

Does anyone react to spices? Im eating mccormick's spices because they are suppose to be corn free and gluten free and yet Im reacting to something. Im soy, gluten, corn, nuts and dairy free. But wouldnt mccormick's list these items?

Thanks

ETA- Im also not tolerating nightshades and lectins.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

If those spices have paprika in them, they wouldn't be nightshade-free, as it's derived from chile peppers. All peppers are part of the nightshade family. Paprika

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The spices that McCormick makes that have just the spice listed are just that, only the spice. On their mixes they will list all ingredients without hiding any. Personally I just use their 'pure' spices with the exception of their Garam Marsela which is a mixture. I have never had any issues with those.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

The spices that McCormick makes that have just the spice listed are just that, only the spice. On their mixes they will list all ingredients without hiding any. Personally I just use their 'pure' spices with the exception of their Garam Marsela which is a mixture. I have never had any issues with those.

I, too, have just started using the PLAIN McCormick spices. So far, so good. Maybe it's something else? I have all the same intolerances as you, by the way, and avoid those foods. (Air tastes good, eh?)

lisa

I had a friend who was allergic to oregano. Whenever she would have it she wouldn't sleep and be extremely agitated. But thats an herb. I don't know what your using. I would think mold could be a problem in drying certain herbs like sage. It looks and smells like mold to me, but that might just be the nature of the plant.

I wonder if they use pesticides to grow these. I imagine they do because I remember growing them and bugs just love em.

Do you get an allergic reaction or a gluten reaction like cramps, gas, D. I would agree with the blends you might run into a formula they use to keep the spices mixed together and flowing nice.

Gail

Gluten Free since Jan. 06

Gluten intolerant. DQ 0301 DQ 0602

Lactose intolerant.

I, too, have just started using the PLAIN McCormick spices. So far, so good. Maybe it's something else? I have all the same intolerances as you, by the way, and avoid those foods. (Air tastes good, eh?)

lisa

:D:D:D Yea they even took the sugar out of my chocolate. :angry:

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Guest AutumnE

Sorry I didnt get back sooner, Thanks everyone :)

It was their garlic powder. I usually only buy plain spices from them. Ursula, I didnt know that about paprika thanks for the future information.

Lisa- Air is lovely! :D I thought I was reacting to rice too but I tried it again last week and it was ok! I do not want to give up that.

Gail- It's an odd reaction, Stomach upset and gas but no diarrhea and is gone in a few hours. Im going to stick with fresh garlic cloves and see if that remedies it or to see if I have a problem with garlic.

Ravenwoodglass- Im caffiene free the rest of my life thanks to my glaucoma :angry: no more chocolate ever :(