This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How To Educate A New Dentist

ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass Mentor

My dentist went elsewhere. She had checked everything she used and never poisoned me. I am now going to her partner. I had a talking visit yesterday. The only thing he did was look at my teeth and run his gloved finger over my gums. Well within a couple hours I had blisters on the areas he touched and this am I am clearly poisoned. At the end of the visit he asked what celiac was and when I told him what I need to avoid he gave the typical 'we don't have that stuff in the materials we use'. As we all know that is not correct. I really, really, really need dental work done. I have two temp crowns that I have had for over 2 years waiting for me to get past my fear and get the permanent ones cemented in and I need at least 2 more. Does anyone know where I can get info on celiac and dentists that I can print out for this guy. It needs to be from an official type of site. Or do any of you guys have horror stories of your own that I could show this doctor so he takes this seriously. He is not there for the rest of the week so I can't even go in and show him the blisters. I am so scared and frustrated, I have been scared of dentists since childhood and this issue had made me literally phobic. I am tempted to have all my teeth just pulled at this point, it not like they don't crumble anyway, at least if they were all gone I wouldn't have to deal with this crud anymore.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest cassidy

I wonder what he touched before he touched your mouth? That alone would freak me out because they are supposed to use clean gloves when they touch you.

I just asked the office staff to check everything out for me. My dentist acted like it was a bit silly - he even questioned me and said because I wasn't swallowing anything and just swishing it in my mouth, why would it matter? The staff just made a few phone calls and it was no big deal. I refused the flouride because they didn't check that.

If this is the partner of the old dentist does that mean they use the same pastes and things? If those things are already checked then I guess it is just his hands that you have to worry about. Regardless of whether you have any intolerances I think it is perfectly reasonable to ask the dentist to wash his hands and put on new gloves before he touches your mouth.

Do you have a digital camera or a cell phone camera? You could always take a picture of the blisters and show him.

I know people have posted before that they thought the powder on gloves could be flour. That isn't correct. That powder should be safe.

lindalee Enthusiast

Ravenwood, There was a thread back that discussed the problems with gloves. I was interested in this topic however it disappeared. I asked the technical / section but there was never any answer given.

I too have been wondering what to know about the dentist as I also need to go in for a cleaning.

Prior to being gluten-free, I went in for a crown. It was during this pre and after crown situation that I got sick and finally realized that my celiac did not go away (as I thought per doctors when I was diagnosed as a baby)

There may be something about latex gloves. Wish I could help you.

Please let us know what you find out. Hopefully, someone here will have the answers.

jerseyangel Proficient

Ravenwood,

Sorry about the poisoning :(

I was thinking, since you used to see the partener without problems, could this new dentist contact her and discuss the precautions/products she used with you? Or maybe you could contact her and get the info.

Hope you feel better soon :)

JoeB Apprentice

It's interesting that the only reaction you had was blisters in your mouth. I've never heard of that being a symptom of being glutened.

I had a similar issue with my dentist just prior to being diagnosed with celiac disease - after a visit my mouth and cheeks were red and rashy. I'd bet that you are allergic or sensitive to latex. That's not unheard of in people with immune system problems. Ask him next time to use non-latex gloves and see if that helps.

Also, I had a cap done and a couple of cleanings since being diagnosed and have not had any celiac disease-related problems.

i canary Rookie
It's interesting that the only reaction you had was blisters in your mouth. I've never heard of that being a symptom of being glutened.

I had a similar issue with my dentist just prior to being diagnosed with celiac disease - after a visit my mouth and cheeks were red and rashy. I'd bet that you are allergic or sensitive to latex. That's not unheard of in people with immune system problems. Ask him next time to use non-latex gloves and see if that helps.

I was going to say what JoeB said. My sister is allegric to latex - sounds like the same reaction to me.

The dentist I went to checked everything. (Actually it was her wonderful assistant who did all the hard work). The only thing with gluten was the toothpaste stuff that they use to clean teeth.

Michi8 Contributor
I was going to say what JoeB said. My sister is allegric to latex - sounds like the same reaction to me.

The dentist I went to checked everything. (Actually it was her wonderful assistant who did all the hard work). The only thing with gluten was the toothpaste stuff that they use to clean teeth.

Some people are sensitive not to the latex, but to the chemicals used to make the latex product. So it could be a reaction to anything on or in the latex gloves (the powder can be suspect as well.) You can ask that the dentist use vinyl, unpowdered gloves next time and see if it makes a difference.

Michelle

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Hi, Thanks you all for your responses. I looked a bit into the latex thing and found some pics that look just like the reaction I had when they pulled the last tooth. It also described the effect of your gums dissolving, something I experienced also, and am again. The blisters I have this time look like the ones I get on my skin, I have DH. I will know by tommorrow for sure if it was gluten, my gut has a delayed but obvious reaction but a lack of most other 'I got got' symptoms make me think it may be latex.

On a brighter dentist note, I found one a short distance away who can knock me out and do everything at once. The nurse was sure she could accomodate the celiac issue as well. Maybe the torture will be over soon. Just one visit, and a nice nap and everything is done even if they need to extract a couple more. I never thought my phobia of dentists could get worse until after the celiac diagnosis. Dentists here are so clueless it is hard to believe that in many countries they are a first step to diagnosis.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Well unless latex can cause gluten type GI symtoms I am now certain I was glutened. I have spent the last four hours doing my gluten purge. No bleeding this time at least. At least the migraine has eased. I won't go back to this guy except to grab my finished crowns and take them to the oral surgeon. I had at least 4 more appointment s to go to finish rebuilding my mouth, I only have 4 useable teeth at this point. The surgeon will do all in one shot so at least if he poisons me it will only be once. I hate gluten, I hate the way it infiltrates so many things and I am so tired of dentists looking at me like I am an hysterical female for being afraid of just what happened. At least the blisters are starting to get better, although I now have a couple of minor DH lesions on my face.

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

check out this article...it's an excerpt actually, but talks about how vinyl gloves are coated with oat powder....gotcha!

Open Original Shared Link

Sophiekins Rookie

Vinyl gloves have oat powder? Noooooooooo!

Somebody, please, help me! I am SERIOUSLY celiac. . ..and allergic to latex! Anyone have any suggestions?

Helena Contributor

Yikes! Just this week, I heard (unofficially as I haven't spoken with my dr. yet and the receptionist is not supposed to say anything) that my RAST test for latex came back positive (the SPT was positive too. I think I sometimes have mild latex-related reactions.)

I just did an internet search, and look at what I found:

Open Original Shared Link (click on the link)

Do a search for "oat" :o

So it isn't just the latex free gloves that we have to worry about . . .

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

When they're talking about lining the gloves - that's the inside. What's our risk here really, I wonder? Are the vinyl gloves coated on the outside, or the inside? I'm confused.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Thank you for the links folks. I didn't realize that a latex allergy could cause delayed GI symptoms. I don't know if I will ever know for sure what got me but I am starting to lean more toward the latex. I will definately ask the oral surgeon to make sure we consider me latex allergic. It seems like the safe thing to do. Thanks again.

Helena Contributor

Good point about the powder being on the inside. I do wonder if there is a risk . . what makes me wonder is it is known that that powder gets all over when gloves are changed (people who react severely to latex react to the airborne protein in the powder).

About the latex allergy----I'd suggest getting tested. Do you have any environmental allergies or allergies to fruits and veggies? I've read that people with other allergies are more likely to develop a latex allergy. Latex allergies can be unpredictable.

kb8ogn Rookie

I work in a Nursing Home, and they order latex free, powder free gloves.

I have not had a reaction to these at all. I am fairly new to all of this, not quite a year, but I wear these gloves everytime I am doing anything with a patient. I think I would have had something by this time if there was a problem.

I have explained all of this to my dentist and that is what they use on me now.

I was aware of the latex allergy/sensitivity, but I was not aware the powder they use contains oat.

I'm glad they listened to my requests. That could have been really bad.

Shelli

Archived