This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Club House Spices In Canada

maribeth

maribeth Apprentice

Good morning,

Are the club house spices in Canada gluten free or just some of them? I love the lemon and herb and don't see anything saying there's any wheat additives but on the garlic plus herb it says toasted wheat crumbs. These 2 products are of the same consistency so would the lemon and herb have it too but they just didn't list it. I hear that Club House is the same as McCormicks brand in the States. What spices does everyone use. I love lemon pepper and lemon dill but the bottles I just bot says in very small print that it mite contain wheat-didn't have my glasses with me when I bot that one but it's not club house brand. My stomach got a little bothersome after using it but since I"m still in the trial stages it could have been some other contaminate. Thanks Beth.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

In the past, when I've called Club House they say they will use the words wheat/rye/oats/barley/malt should they be in the item. They told me they will not "hide" gluten-containing ingredients.

Have you called or checked the website?

maribeth Apprentice

Thanks for your reply. I did send them an email a couple of days ago but have heard nothing back yet.

lorka150 Collaborator

they are the same company as mccormick, so they list it.

Felidae Enthusiast

I only use McCormick, the expensive small green labelled bottles. Maybe I'm being too cautious. Mrs Dash spices are also safe and delicious.

maribeth Apprentice

[i only use McCormick, the expensive small green labelled bottles. Maybe I'm being too cautious. Mrs Dash spices are also safe and delicious.

Thanks, I just got a reply back from Club House and that's what they told me , that the glass bottles with the green labels are gluten free and that the pure herbs and spices have no additives or allergens.

Felidae Enthusiast
Thanks, I just got a reply back from Club House and that's what they told me , that the glass bottles with the green labels are gluten free and that the pure herbs and spices have no additives or allergens.

I will add that I also buy McCormick ground black pepper in the large Costco size container. I haven't had any problems from using it. The label is green! It may be risky, but I use a lot of pepper.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

Hmm. When I called they made no such distinction as glass bottles with the green labels are gluten free. Club House has orange lids and labels, and McCormick is green. Both McCormicks and Club House (owned by McC) said they will clearly label gluten. I guess I'll have to call Club House and double check the Italian seasoning just to make sure. It's still sealed, but is a plastic container, orange lid and no suspicious ingredients.

maribeth Apprentice

Here is what they sent me.

At McCormick Canada, ingredients are declared on the ingredient statement of each product label. On products such as pure herbs and spices, which don't contain allergenic ingredients, you will not find and ingredient statement. The only ingred present is the pure spice or herb to which nothing else has been added. Unfortunately a list of gluten free products is not available. In regards to gluten we do have wheat ingred in our facility. Please be assured we follow good manufacturing practices in our facilities and make all efforts to reduce the oppurtunity of cross contamination. The complete range of McCormick's gourmet spices and herbs(in the glass bottle with green lables) are gluten free. This range of products is also filled is also filled on a line where no other gluten containing products are processed. This was from Linda |Grover consumer srevices McCOrmick Canada. Hope this helps. Beth.

Hmm. When I called they made no such distinction as glass bottles with the green labels are gluten free. Club House has orange lids and labels, and McCormick is green. Both McCormicks and Club House (owned by McC) said they will clearly label gluten. I guess I'll have to call Club House and double check the Italian seasoning just to make sure. It's still sealed, but is a plastic container, orange lid and no suspicious ingredients.

Felidae Enthusiast
Here is what they sent me.

At McCormick Canada, ingredients are declared on the ingredient statement of each product label. On products such as pure herbs and spices, which don't contain allergenic ingredients, you will not find and ingredient statement. The only ingred present is the pure spice or herb to which nothing else has been added. Unfortunately a list of gluten free products is not available. In regards to gluten we do have wheat ingred in our facility. Please be assured we follow good manufacturing practices in our facilities and make all efforts to reduce the oppurtunity of cross contamination. The complete range of McCormick's gourmet spices and herbs(in the glass bottle with green lables) are gluten free. This range of products is also filled is also filled on a line where no other gluten containing products are processed. This was from Linda |Grover consumer srevices McCOrmick Canada. Hope this helps. Beth.

I received the exact same response from them.

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

I just got off the phone with a representative of Club House/McCormick Canada. Here's the scoop.

McCormick glass bottles/green or black lids are almost always pure spices or combinations of spices and are packaged in a dedicated area as are the small orange tins of Club House spices (about 10 varieties).

In a NON-dedicated area is where the Club House spices/spice mixes/seasonings are packages. I was told that each area is separated by curtains and lines are cleaned between runs very thoroughly, they take every precaution to guard against cross contamination EXCEPT that there may be airborne particles because of the curtains and non-dedicated areas.

She said to check labels carefully, that they consider gluten a top 8 allergen and label it using real words not natural flavour. She also said that (for example) there are two Italian seasoning blends: one with and one w/o wheat. Ditto for chili mix the hot & spicy is gluten-free but the regular chili contains wheat. I didn't bother to quiz her about why.

Hope that helps.

Felidae Enthusiast
I just got off the phone with a representative of Club House/McCormick Canada. Here's the scoop.

McCormick glass bottles/green or black lids are almost always pure spices or combinations of spices and are packaged in a dedicated area as are the small orange tins of Club House spices (about 10 varieties).

In a NON-dedicated area is where the Club House spices/spice mixes/seasonings are packages. I was told that each area is separated by curtains and lines are cleaned between runs very thoroughly, they take every precaution to guard against cross contamination EXCEPT that there may be airborne particles because of the curtains and non-dedicated areas.

She said to check labels carefully, that they consider gluten a top 8 allergen and label it using real words not natural flavour. She also said that (for example) there are two Italian seasoning blends: one with and one w/o wheat. Ditto for chili mix the hot & spicy is gluten-free but the regular chili contains wheat. I didn't bother to quiz her about why.

Hope that helps.

It is very clear now. Thank you for posting.

num1habsfan Rising Star

somewhere on this board is the link to a huge pdf file with lists of a LOT of safe foods/etc from canada, from 2005, and clubhouse was listed in there. unfortunately i cant remember where it was :lol:

~ lisa ~

Archived