• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Shawn

Cold All Of The Time....

Rate this topic

Hi -

I'm new to this - only been gluten-free for a month and a half. I am so cold all of the time now!!! I'm on the right dose of thyroid. I'm wondering if anybody else has experienced this, and if so, what can we do about it? I've lost some weight since going gluten-free, but don't think that has anything to do with it since I still have a little insulation. :huh:

I wore a huge fleece onsie and a scarf to bed the other night. My husband said, "but we've only been married four years!!". It was the warmest thing I could find.

Help!!!!

Thanks,

Shawn

Shawn,

My first thought would be thryoid, but you have addressed that.

Other though would be low blood pressure.

Other than that, I have no experience with that.

There are alot of smart people here with a vast amount of experience.

Thank you!

I thought thyroid was supposed to improve after being off gluten. My energy level seems fine, though the idea that I have to get bundled up to go anywhere is a bit deterring. My hands and feet are FREEZING!

Blood pressure? It's pretty low, but it always has been.

Shawn

Shawn, I'm really cold all the time, too. It seems to have gotten worse lately. I"m always bundled up. So no advice but WHERE did you find an adult-sized fleece onesie?!!?

Does it have the feet on it like the ones for little kids that make it fun to slide across the kitchen floor? :lol:

Seriously. I can't think of anything that would be more comfortable right now... :rolleyes:

Courtney

pardon the obvious stupid question: what is the temperature in your bedroom? (not "what is the thermostat set to?" because that may or may not tell you much about your bedroom temperature.)

Caffeine can cause your circulation to not be as good. Do you drink caffeine? I know being thin makes me colder. Also if I drink too much caffeine.

Monica

Puzzling. Hmmm. Any chance you have Raynaud's Syndrome? I don't know a lot about it, but I know people with Raynaud's complain of cold hands and feet all the time. I'm a nurse, and I gotta tell you--people with autoimmune disorders in general (and celiac is autoimmune) complain of being cold a lot. Maybe do a web search on Raynaud's, and on autoimmune disorders.

Good luck.

Thank you for your responses!

I'm not just cold in the bedroom, I'm cold everywhere! (I wear my coat outside of my bedroom..)

By the way, my onsie doesn't have feet (I wear socks), and my mother bought it for me from Land's End when I was dating somebody she didn't care for :rolleyes:

I do drink a cup of coffee in the morning, but not much caffeine after that. I've heard of Reynaud's syndrom - I'll look into it more...

Shawn

my mother bought it for me from Land's End when I was dating somebody she didn't care for :rolleyes:

:D:P:):D !!! I Can't stop laughing!!

I'll have to remember that one with my 19 year old daughter!

Hi there, I am always freezing. I sleep with a heating pad every night. I know it sounds nuts, but I am truly cold. My thyroid is fine. I have always been cold, but after going gluten free--it is even worse. Sometimes in July and August I have to wear a sweater!!!!!! So Shawn, bundle up, baby, it's cold outside.

Shawn, have you had your Ferritin level checked? I stay uncomfortably cold, too, and suffer from poor iron storage. At the time of my Celiac disease diagnosis 6 years ago, I had microcytic anemia, since iron is poorly absorbed through the damaged intestinal mucosa. After several iron infusions, my hematocrit stayed stable, until recently, when my ferritin level (measurement of iron stores in the body) was once again noted as low. Low iron levels are a frequent cause of feeling cold--it might be worth checking out!

Just have to chime in here. I too am cold all the time. I share an office with a Minnesota native and have given in to her comfort level so I wear my heavy winter coat inside while working. My Apt is set at 78 so I feel fine in there. Thyroid has checked out normal but I too suffer from anemia and get shots every 2 weeks plus take iron supplements. When I get low blood sugar I get even colder (could be due to sweating though) When I was a boy scout we were taught to eat constantly on cold weather camping trips to keep calories burning. Internal body heat is so much better than external (i.e. standing next to a heater, wearing long underwear, or using heating devices) Try having an electric soup bowl or hot plate at work if you can and eat hot soup or anything for that metter and get lots of exercise.

A

Guest AutumnE

I am really cold too and its not from lack of insulation. My sister and my mom are the same way. We all have hypothyroidism but its in the normal range at least for me.

Regarding the footed pajamas here is two places online that sell them-

http://www.pajamacity.com/

http://www.footedpjs.com/

I should get dh and me a pair. I know we both would use them.

Hi -

I'm new to this - only been gluten-free for a month and a half. I am so cold all of the time now!!! I'm on the right dose of thyroid. I'm wondering if anybody else has experienced this, and if so, what can we do about it? I've lost some weight since going gluten-free, but don't think that has anything to do with it since I still have a little insulation. :huh:

I wore a huge fleece onsie and a scarf to bed the other night. My husband said, "but we've only been married four years!!". It was the warmest thing I could find.

Help!!!!

Thanks,

Shawn

Wow, me too me too...had my thyroid rechecked as well and it is ok, on the right dose...but have been freezing this last 8 weeks off of gluten..that was always my big clue my thyroid was out of whack, I'd get so COLD..especially my hands and feet.....but even before I got off of gluten, the last 3 months since I have been having major D problems, I have been freezing to death...and I am also going through menopause, I now welcome the hot flashes... :rolleyes:

My hubby has alway's felt the cold more than most - and I always thought it was because he had no 'meat on his bones' !

Since his dx of celiac disease (2 yrs ago) he's a good weight now but still frozen all the time when everyone else is ok.

Funny thing is he always feels hot to touch (like a glowing fire!)- even though he feels cold.

:blink::blink:

Hi -

Oh My God, I have recently been diagnosed and encountered being cold and thought it was just me coming down with something. Just when I feel discouraged, I logged into your discussion and felt great to hear others with similar situation. Thank you for your honesty and making me feel not like a freak. :lol: thanks sylvia