Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

munchkinette

Gravy?

Next week will be my first gluten-free Thanksgiving. How do I make gravy? Everyone in my family swears by Wondra flour, which I can't eat. What alternatives can I use that won't gross other people out? I'd rather have fresh gravy and not premade stuff, but I'm willing to consider it if it's decent.

Dang, it's going to be hard to avoid the stuffing. I'm not even going to try to duplicate that.

Gluten free since Feb 2006, Dairy and Soy free since 2009

Anemic off and on since 2003

Negative tTG Ab, IgA, Gliadin Ab IgA, wheat allergy (IgE) blood tests (Feb 2006)

Positive wheat allergy skin test(Apr 2006)and dietary response (Feb 2006)

Celiac grandmother (Dx in 1940s, "grew out of it")

Training for my first triathlon to support the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America.

~Amy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I use corn starch. There is a recipe on the box. I have NEVER had lumps or gravy that has not turned out. The only difference is that the gravy is shiny on the surface. I never had luck with flour gravy so started making gravy from corn starch years before dx. Good luck!

Sweet rice flour works great too - and it doesn't lump!

As for the stuffing, it can easily be made with gluten-free bread. There are several other Thanksgiving threads in the Baking and Cooking Tips section and several suggestions for stuffing. I'm making gluten-free stuffing for the 8th or 9th time now and I serve it to my guests and get nothing but compliments.

Liz

Started Specific Carbohydrate Diet on 8-16-09 because son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and want to give him moral support.

Diagnosed with Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome in 2003. Discovered that going completely gluten-free put me in remission.

I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Psalms 27:13

I use corn starch. There is a recipe on the box. I have NEVER had lumps or gravy that has not turned out. The only difference is that the gravy is shiny on the surface. I never had luck with flour gravy so started making gravy from corn starch years before dx. Good luck!

Shiney surface:

That may be the fat floating on the surface (sorry, I know it sounds gross). The trick is to pour the drippings into a plastic ziplock bag, the fat floats to the top. Cut a small hole in the bottom of the bag and let the juice out. Pinch the bottom of the bag before the fat flows into the pan. Also remember to dissolve the cornstarch in cold water before you add it to the gravy so you won't have lumps!!

I didn't know you *could* use wheat flour for gravy for the first 18 years of my life - and I didn't know about gluten free until I was 25! We always used cornstarch (make a slurry of cornstarch and cold water first, then add to the juice and bring to a simmer - the directions are on the package too), and now I also like using sweet rice flour.

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

Next week will be my first gluten-free Thanksgiving. How do I make gravy? Everyone in my family swears by Wondra flour, which I can't eat. What alternatives can I use that won't gross other people out? I'd rather have fresh gravy and not premade stuff, but I'm willing to consider it if it's decent.

Dang, it's going to be hard to avoid the stuffing. I'm not even going to try to duplicate that.

Dear Munchkinette,

Cornstarch is great, as the others said. There is a trick so it does not clump. You take about 1/4 cup of lukewarm water and stir the cornstarch in either with a whisk or chopsticks until nicely blended. Then you take it and pour that mixture into the rest. It will work out perfectly. :) I learned this from my Chinese cookbooks. I hope this helps you out.

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

Jin

Strawberry Allergy, mold allergy, dustmites allergy, ragweed allergy, dust allergy, food dye allergy - 1985

Asthma - 1994

Ovarian Cyst - May 1999

Anemia - 2000

4 More Ovarian Cysts - March 2000

Bloodwork for Celiac - November 2000 negative

Colonoscopy, Endoscopy, Intercolisis, Gastric Emptying Study - May and June 2001 negative biopsy

Fibromyalgia - June 2001

IBS - June 2001

Gallbladder Removal - July 28, 2003 after doctor said the tests showed nothing, so it was not gallbladder disease. It was very inflamed and irritated and nearly ruptured the surgeon told me at my 10 day post-op check-up.

Thyroid Disease - August 2004

Celiac Disease - March 2007 Current Dr. refers to me as Celiac, as she says blood tests are often inaccurate.

Official Purple Glittery Bat Keeper, District Attorney, and Chinese Restaurant Owner of The Silver Dragon of Rachelville

Guest nini

I get the gravy packets from Road's End Organics that are labeled gluten-free... we mix that in with our drippings and chicken broth...

Last year, I made gravy from a recipe I got from Gourmet Magazine.

It called for combining some of the fat from the turkey drippings with flour. I substituted potato starch and proceeded with the recipe. It was the best gravy I've ever had.

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Oh yes--I forgot! Don't go without stuffing on Thanksgiving. Use gluten-free bread. I just this afternoon made a loaf of GFP French Bread that I'll use most of for my bread cubes. :) Gotta save a couple of slices for the turkey sandwich on Thursday night ;)

No reason why we should go without our favorites--there's always some way to substitute.

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

If I was going to make gravy, I would use cornstarch. Stuffing is easy, just more expensive. Just replace regular bread with gluten-free bread in your favorite recipe. Here is a good recipe to try:

Stuffing

4 shallots, minced (or 4 garlic cloves minced)

1 onion, diced (or minced in a food processor or blender)

5 small-medium celery sticks, diced (or minced in a foof processor or blender)

5 small-medium carrots, diced (or minced in a foof processor or blender)

3 tbl soy butter

1.5 Tbl dry sage

1.5 Tbl dry thyme

1.5 Tbl dry summer savory

1 Tbl Pasley (Optional)

dash of pepper

1 cup white wine (water is another option)

1 loaf gluten-free bread, cubed (I use Kinnikinnick Italian white tapioca, thawed) (toasting cubes in the oven is an option)

1 cup gluten-free chicken stock (I use 1 cup of Imagine chicken broth, or 2

cubes of McCormick chicken bouillon and 1 cup of water).

Optional: chestnuts, apples, raisons, cranberries, peacans.

Sauté the vegetables in the butter until they are soft, and the onions begin to carmelize. Add the seasonings and cook over medium heat for 2 minutes. Add the white wine, and continue cooking over medium heat until the liquid is reduced by half. In a casserole dish, mix all ingedients together. Bake for 20-30 minutes at 325 F.

Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004

Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003

Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

i'm a turkey day noob...as far as making gravy, how much "drippings" do you need?

is there a difference in taste/texture using potato starch, sweet rice flour and cornstarch? just trying to figure out which one i should use...or maybe i'll make a small batch of each and go w/ the best one...lol

Sweetfudge

Born and raised in Portland, OR; Currently living in Provo, UT

Gluten-free since June 2006

Also living with Hypoglycemia since 1991

Dairy-free for good since summer 2008

Started IBS diet and probiotics at GI's recommendation - Fall 2008

Also avoiding: potatoes, beans, crucifers, popcorn, most red meat, coconut milk :(

Started eating a Paleo diet Spring 2011. Love it!

The grass is always greener where you water it.