Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

teebs in WV

Tinkyada Pasta - Which Kind Is Best?

I finally found some Tinkyada pasta and could not decide whether to buy the Organic or the type with rice bran. For those of you who are loyal Tinkyada customers, which type is the best?

Tracy

- Dx by Derm with DH in Oct 2005 - both by bloodwork and skin biopsy.

- Dx with celiac disease in Nov 2005 by biopsy of small intestine.

- gluten-free since Oct 2005

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I've never noticed a difference. I use whichever based on how much I need since the bags are different sizes. Not the best method ...

gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

Come to think about it, I've never noticed a difference, either :D I tend to buy based on the shape. I love the spaghetti for a regular pasta dinner, and the fissuli (I think that's close to how it's spelled :ph34r: ) is good as a side dish with butter or olive oil and grated cheese.

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Come to think about it, I've never noticed a difference, either :D I tend to buy based on the shape. I love the spaghetti for a regular pasta dinner, and the fissuli (I think that's close to how it's spelled :ph34r: ) is good as a side dish with butter or olive oil and grated cheese.

I buy the different shapes, too, but sometimes you can get them in either organic or the other. The non-organic bags are bigger.

gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

Most of the shapes were available in both organic and rice bran (both are brown rice). I wasn't sure what the diff was. I bought organic since I wasn't sure what rice bran would be.

Thanks for your input.

Tracy

Tracy

I buy the different shapes, too, but sometimes you can get them in either organic or the other. The non-organic bags are bigger.

I never noticed that :ph34r::lol::lol:

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

I never noticed that there was an organic Tinkyada. I also buy based on the size of the bag and the shape of the pasta. I have found that the spaghetti tastes the most like regular pasta as it keeps its firmness better especially when re heated.

Nicole

I lovve the rice bran pastas. They are not gummy and taste great. The reason I buy it though is the amount of fiber. Rice bran is an excellent source of fiber.

Haha...I never noticed there was a difference, either! :lol: I also buy based on the shape of the pasta. Glad I'm not the only one!

Courtney - 25

Columbia, SC

Gluten-free since July 8, 2006

Casein-free since October 16, 2006

Went six weeks, and fell back into a deliciously painful world of cheese.

Casein-free (again and for serious this time) December 11, 2006

Stupid cheese addiction....2/07

Dx Hypothyroid in 1993

Dx Gluten & Casein Sensitive through Enterolab 10/06

Dx Adrenal *Exhaustion* 2/07

Originally from WI, I am still in denial over my newfound casein intolerance. I fear I will not be allowed back into the state if I can no longer eat cheese and drink milk. This could pose some trouble over holidays when I wish to visit my family. It also poses a problem involving the severe rage I feel when I have to throw away somebody's unfinished cheese sticks. That is so wrong.

I didn't notice either. I buy what looks good at that moment in the store. But my favourite are the tri-coloured fusilli.

Tapioca intolerant

First cousin dx'd with Celiac Disease

Grandmother died of malnutrition b/c everything made her sick... sounds like celiac to me.

Gluten-free since June 2005

Dx with IBS February 2005

Blood tests both negative (or inconclusive?) for celiac (in 2002 and 2004)

I've been buying the rice bran rather than organic because it's 80 cents cheaper for about the same size and Ty hasn't said anything about noticing a taste difference.

I did tell a lady at the health food store once that I didn't care if it was organic, just that it was gluten free :lol: . I think she was horrified :o .

Linda, Mom to Ty (11 years old)

Ty was diagnosed by blood test June 7/05

biopsy Aug 11/05, diagnosis confirmed Aug 18/05

Mom, Dad and big brother Celiac-free.

I've eaten both...and I dont notice a difference in taste or texture or anything else. All the Tinkyada pastas taste the same to me. Yummy. :)

Rachel

OK, I had to go look. My Penne are oeganic, my elbows are with rice bran and the tri-color twists don't say either, they're just brown rice pasta. (my store had a sale on Tinkyada a couple of weeks ago, and at the price they get, I bought several on sale!)

I'm a shape buyer!

OK, I had to go look. My Penne are oeganic, my elbows are with rice bran and the tri-color twists don't say either, they're just brown rice pasta. (my store had a sale on Tinkyada a couple of weeks ago, and at the price they get, I bought several on sale!)

I'm a shape buyer!

I recently found that Tinkyada makes a WHITE rice pasta and it is easier for me to digest. (I've always had issues with rice.) So for my family I can cook the brown rice types but for me, I've been having the white rice spaghetti and it works better. Just thought I'd chime in even though it doesn't seem like you have any problems with rice. (yay!)

lisa

I'm another one that never noticed any of them were organic. I'm about to go check mine and see what I have. I buy mostly on shape. I like to mix the penne with the tri-color fusili a lot, but like others said I just get the different shapes based on what I'm having. I buy the elbows to make mac n' cheese, penne and tri-color fusili for everyday pasta and lasgana noodles or large shells for obviously either lasagna or stuffed shells. Ocassionally I'll get the fettucini or spaghetti if I'm in the mood for that. They all taste the same to me.

Jillian

Positive Blood test and Biopsy

Inflamed stomach lining

Gluten free since July 6, 2005

Tarrytown, NY

"Sometimes being a b$tch is all a woman has to hold onto." - Dolores Claiborne

Count me in as a shape-buyer! ;) We have had the spirals in a chicken noodle dinner and shells in mac & cheese, but we're new at this so we haven't tried a lot.

Mom to 3 girls

DD1-diagnosed by allergist 10/2006

DD4 & DD9-diagnosed by Mom 01/2007

I don't think I was clear in my original post. Most shapes are available in both organic and rice bran. The only reason I noticed the difference is because the way the store had them displayed. I just want to be sure to buy the type that has the best taste and texture (regardless of shape). From reading this thread it doesn't sound like there is much difference - if any - in the taste.

Thanks for all of your input!

Tracy

Tracy

I buy the one with rice bran. never seen the other one. my favourite tho is penne. I eat a LOT of macaroni and penne that Tinkyada makes (enough that I order 20 lbs of bulk). Best purchases ever haha

~ lisa ~

...Flames vs. Panthers, and Lifehouse, were best experiences OF MY LIFE!!...

...26 years old...

...Look in my forum profile for ways to read my public sports articles...

R.I.P. Uncle Gus (Sept. 21, 1971 - Oct. 2, 2004) ... R.I.P. Baba (Oct. 12, 1911 - Feb. 28, 2006) ... R.I.P. Uncle Lawrence (Aug. 7, 1943 - Jan. 4, 2009)

I used the spirals (Organic) tonight to make mac n cheese. VERY YUMMY! The best pasta I have had in a year.

I figured out that the lavender colored bags are the organic and the rice bran bags are pink.

Tracy