This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Natural Medicine For Healing

rutland

rutland Enthusiast

Im really big on natural and alternative treatments for healing. Anytime I have an issue with my health I like to explore alternatives before I turn to presciption meds. I guess I wanted to start a threat so that if anyone has had any success with natural medicine, we can all learn and benefit from it.

Since this past summer Ive been gluten-free, and my body has gone through many changes. Right now Im struggling with two issues that I need to resolve. First off I want to get my digestive system in tip top shape. What Ive been doing to help my gut heal is just trying to eat smaller portions and eating more easy digestible foods like chicken soup. I also am using a supplement that is a free form amino acid called L-glutamine. Ive read that it helps to repair the lining of the intestinal tract. So far I do believe that its made a difference. Ive been able to expand my dietary choices without getting any major reactions. Im also getting acupuncture and I am definately making significant improvement from that as well.

Ive also always dealt with pretty bad anxiety and depression and I want to experiment with something natural before I go the presciption med route. Ive read somewhere on one of the threads about a natural antideppressant formula called Anxius. Im going to find out if its gluten free and if it is Im going to try it. Someone on the boards reported good results with it. Ive been surfing the net for other natural antidepressant formulas and I came across a website for clarocet. That seems to be a popular one. Has anyone ever tried anthing natural with good results?

Steph

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Felidae Enthusiast

What a good thread since I love natural products, especially non-animal tested ones. Anyways, this is not really a "medicine", but when I have a sore throat or think I am getting a cold, I drink this before bed.

Combine fresh squeezed lemon juice, honey and tobasco sauce in a mug and add boiling water.

It soothes the throat and the tobasco clears the sinuses. For some reason, it puts me to sleep too. I simply adjust the ingredients to taste.

oceangirl Collaborator
What a good thread since I love natural products, especially non-animal tested ones. Anyways, this is not really a "medicine", but when I have a sore throat or think I am getting a cold, I drink this before bed.

Combine fresh squeezed lemon juice, honey and tobasco sauce in a mug and add boiling water.

It soothes the throat and the tobasco clears the sinuses. For some reason, it puts me to sleep too. I simply adjust the ingredients to taste.

Hi!

Well, this isn't a medicine, as such, but there is nothing for depression like running or dance class! I know that probably sounds trite and inane, but, as a runner for 27 years and a dancer for 25, if I don't do these things, I tend to become very depressed. I run every day but only 2 miles. Many "hard core" runners have asked me why I don't increase my mileage. Answer is: That's what makes me feel good! I'm not into running as competition and my body says that's perfect for me. I know everyone can't do physical activity, but many can and it truly gives one an "attitude adjustment". Acupuncture is excellent and I've heard from others that St. John's wort is a good supplement for depression. Actually, just sitting for 15 or 20 minutes in the sun isn't bad either!

Hopefully, others will post! Oh yes, pets are also good for depression! Good health and peace to you!

lisa

lindalee Enthusiast

I have used Melatonin as well as St. John's Wort and like both.

I agree with the above- sunshine is so good for us and always makes me feel better as well as exercise.

Just listening to uplifting music helps also.

Thanks for the cold remedy. I'll have to try that!

I use oil of oregano for congestion, and as a natural antibotic and also to kill the yeast.

Epson Salt Baths really help removing toxins and remove aches and itching.

Felidae Enthusiast
Hi!

Well, this isn't a medicine, as such, but there is nothing for depression like running or dance class! I know that probably sounds trite and inane, but, as a runner for 27 years and a dancer for 25, if I don't do these things, I tend to become very depressed. I run every day but only 2 miles. Many "hard core" runners have asked me why I don't increase my mileage. Answer is: That's what makes me feel good! I'm not into running as competition and my body says that's perfect for me. I know everyone can't do physical activity, but many can and it truly gives one an "attitude adjustment". Acupuncture is excellent and I've heard from others that St. John's wort is a good supplement for depression. Actually, just sitting for 15 or 20 minutes in the sun isn't bad either!

Hopefully, others will post! Oh yes, pets are also good for depression! Good health and peace to you!

lisa

You are so right! Pets, exercise and the sun are great for depression and blood pressure too.

mamaw Community Regular

I also like alternative methods . I'm so allergic to drugs for some reason.....

There is a tape by sadhanna concepts called: conscious breathing" It helps relax you & then if you take a bath in epsom salts or apple cider vinegar , this will detoxify your body. Use as hot of water as you can stand & put in ear plugs & soak for 30 min.Of course you must shower after the apple cider bath or people will think your pickled!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For mood support & relaxation I take Relora from the Vitamin Shoppe.

blessings

mamaw

kbtoyssni Contributor

I take acidopolis for my stomach. It does seem to help.

For depression I've taken St John's Wort (you may want to consult with a doctor on this one, though, it will interfere with some medications like birth control pills) and Omega-3. I think they helped some, at least as much as they could help gluten-induced depression before I went gluten-free.

I also think things like having a regular schedule, learning to relax, exercising, playing with a pet or doing volunteer work helps. And from your picture it looks like you might live in a climate that has cold winters so you could try getting out into the sunshine. Those sunlight simulation boxes can be very helpful for people with seasonal depression, too. I'm thinking of getting one because it's hard for me to get out in the sun with my work schedule.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

i canary Rookie

Besides a bunch of vitamins I take:

Chromium Picolinate - to help control my sugar levels .

DHEA - helps with energy level and giving me back my brain. (well some of my brain)

Olive Leaf Extract - helps control the yeast levels in my body.

Selenium Picolinate - helps my heart

Wobenzymn N - helps decrease inflammations

Probiotic Acidophilus - more help with balancing the yeast levels.

I think I got the reasons why I take each one right. But just in case...If you are tempted to use any of the above - do the research for yourself to make sure I didn't screw up somewhere.

I just started with accupture - I love it. Wish I had go years ago. I've only had 2 sessions and can feel the difference.

Ellen Newbie
First off I want to get my digestive system in tip top shape. What Ive been doing to help my gut heal is just trying to eat smaller portions and eating more easy digestible foods like chicken soup. I also am using a supplement that is a free form amino acid called L-glutamine. Ive read that it helps to repair the lining of the intestinal tract. So far I do believe that its made a difference.

L- glutamine is working wonders for our daughter. They also have her on an enzyme supplement to help her digest proteins (like gluten, lactose and caisen) that seems to be help-ing her too. Our daughter is on a wide range of supplements for all kinds of issues. The one's we've seen the most improvement with has been the natural or alternative ones. You may want to check about some enzyme digestive aids to help you out too for the digestion. Also, avoid mint if you do get an upset stomach. It can actually cause reflux in "problematic" digestive systems. Ginger is a good one though to aid in digestion. I actually found a candy called Gin-Gins that is spicy but sweet that I like eating after a meal. It may just be psychological, but I'm hooked.

For the depression, have you tried homeopathy? It depends on the type of symptoms you have but homeopathy is a very safe way to go about things. Unlike St John's wort it wont cause sun sploching and sensitivity. Here's a really quick referance guide to some of the basic homeopathic remeidies Open Original Shared Link

Hope this helps.

rutland Enthusiast

Thanks so much for all your replies.

For the depression, have you tried homeopathy? It depends on the type of symptoms you have but homeopathy is a very safe way to go about things. Unlike St John's wort it wont cause sun sploching and sensitivity. Here's a really quick referance guide to some of the basic homeopathic remeidies Open Original Shared Link

Ive tried homeopathy but I just dont respond to it at all. I also tried St. john wort and got a bad reaction from it. But Im not giving up on something natural because I do believe in the power of herbs and other supplements. Theres got to be something that will work for me.

Olive Leaf Extract - helps control the yeast levels in my body

Im thinking that yeast may be a problem for me as well because lately Ive been craving carbs like crazy. Do you notice any side effects from olive leaf extract? I notice that when I take anything that is supposed kill off yeast I start feeling really bad, it may be that I take too much.

Well, this isn't a medicine, as such, but there is nothing for depression like running or dance class

I absolutely agree. I do excersize, Im moderate with it. And it is crucial for mental health. But I find that right now this isnt enough to stabilize my mood.

For mood support & relaxation I take Relora from the Vitamin Shoppe.

Im glad you mentioned that Ive been doing research on anxiety and depression formulas and I saw that supplement on a consumer health report website as that being one of the top rated formulas for anxiety and depression. I also read about a sup. called anxius, Im not sure which one to try.

oops.

I was trying to use the copy and paste method for my relpy but it looks convoluted. sorry. Im still learning the best way to post replies so that it appears coherant. :(

jerseyangel Proficient

Hi Stef,

I'm reading your post with interest. I recently tried Zoloft for my anxiety. My reaction was pretty scary, and I am back to trying to find something more natural to deal with it.

I hope if you end up trying either of the two remedies suggested, you'll get some relief.

At the moment, I'm exercising, deep breathing and of course staying away from gluten and all of the other things I'm intolerant to.

Looking for answers Contributor

Hi,

I take acidophilus and enzymes to help repair my intestinal track. For anxiety and depression, I've turned to under-the-tongue Vitamin B tablets, two-four of Omega 3 pills, and calcium supplements daily. These were recommended by a homeopathic doctor and have helped greatly. You could also try 5 HTP, which makes typtophan (sp?), a precursor to serotonin, and is supposed to alleviate depression.

A great book to check out is "The Diet Cure" by Julia Ross. I know I plug this book so often on this site that people are going to start thiking I'm the author or something, :P but it really is a good book and helped me tremendously. She talks all about these supplements, proper dosage, etc.

Good luck and thanks for starting such a great thread!

rutland Enthusiast
Hi,

I take acidophilus and enzymes to help repair my intestinal track. For anxiety and depression, I've turned to under-the-tongue Vitamin B tablets, two-four of Omega 3 pills, and calcium supplements daily. These were recommended by a homeopathic doctor and have helped greatly. You could also try 5 HTP, which makes typtophan (sp?), a precursor to serotonin, and is supposed to alleviate depression.

A great book to check out is "The Diet Cure" by Julia Ross. I know I plug this book so often on this site that people are going to start thiking I'm the author or something, :P but it really is a good book and helped me tremendously. She talks all about these supplements, proper dosage, etc.

Good luck and thanks for starting such a great thread!

I have that book. It was reccomened to me years ago when I was dating a chiropractor. I read it years ago. Ill have to read it again because I forget a lot of the stuff.

Archived