This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Just One Word...

Guest nini

Guest nini

man I'm having a craving for bearclaws of all things (ya know those donuts shaped like a paw) all frosted and gooey... why does this have to be so hard sometimes.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

Just two words--me too :(

I'd give my eye tooth for a bearclaw :rolleyes:

Guest nini

so does anyone have a recipe????? PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Lisa Mentor
man I'm having a craving for bearclaws of all things (ya know those donuts shaped like a paw) all frosted and gooey... why does this have to be so hard sometimes.

Shesssh.... nini, I thought you were going to nail someone with bear claws. LOL, much relieved. :D:D

(but I wanted to watch) :D:D

.......sorry, one of those yucky things before dx's.

Guest nini

lol, that's too funny...

it's just that this craving came out of NOWHERE and it's not like I'm hungry or anything, I just can't get my mind off of bearclaws!

Rachel--24 Collaborator

OMG...I have no recipe but I love BEARCLAWS!!

One of my favorite things ever....I miss them even more than dounts or any other pastry type thing. I would love to have a bearclaw again someday. Well actually....I'd like to have several bearclaws!. :D

I get to *look* at them everyday at work....torture. :(

steveindenver Contributor

I miss Pepperidge Farm White Coconut Cake. Oh man, my partner and I used to get those, let them thaw, grab two forks and meet in the middle. All while standing at the counter. Sigh...the good ole days. But we're all healthier now - let's remember that fact!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mamaw Community Regular

Steveindenver

I'm not sure this is like the pepperidge farm cake but Annalise Roberts has a coconut layer cake in her cookbook. I haven't tried it because I'm the only one in my family who likes coconut.

Nini

you need to contact Annalise & have her work on bear claws for you... I never liked them . Don't know why I alway ate all the other pastries..Annalise is very helpful & friendly... Love that book

mamaw

Guest nini

my dad's favorite cake has always been the Pepperidge Farm's coconut cake, yummy... Oh man if I could find a recipe for him for that he'd be so happy! (he's gluten-free now too)

jerseyangel Proficient

I love that coconut cake, too. It reminds me of my mother in law's house.

Too bad I've become intolerant to coconut.....

Guest nini
I love that coconut cake, too. It reminds me of my mother in law's house.

Too bad I've become intolerant to coconut.....

OH NO Patti!!!! I'm so sorry you've become intolerant to coconut! I don't know what I'd do!!! I practiacally LIVE on coconut macaroons most days! LOL!

Rusla Enthusiast

I don't know about your bear claws but our bears have sharp claws. But the edible type up here are like a cookie with whipping cream in between the two pieces and chocolate on the outside over the tips. So, I bet we can use a gluten-free shortbread recipe for them or any other type of gluten-free cookie recipe.

mamaw Community Regular

Coconut cake from Annalise Roberts

2 c.sugar

4 large eggs

2 1/2 brown rice flour blend

1/2 tsp salt

1 tbsp.baking powder

1 tsp. xanthan gum

1 c. oil

1 c.unsweetened coconut milk (not low fat)

1 tsp vanilla

1 tsp. coconut extract

1/2 -3/4 c. sweetened coconut( optional)

bake 350, center of oven.line 2, 8" cake pans with parchment & lightly spray lightly with cooking spray.

Beat sugar & eggs together with mixer for 1 minute.( med. speed)Add flour ,salt,b powder,xanthan,oil,coconut milk,& vanilla & coconut extract: beat at medium speed for 1 minute.Pour batterinto pans.bake about 40 minutes.Cake will spring back & pull away from sides when done.

Cool in pansfor 5 minutes.Use a small knife to cut & loosen from sides of pans, Invert onto a rack,& peel off paper& cool completely.

Place cake on plate & ice with favorite icing. Pat sweetened coconut over entire cake.

Annalise' Icing:

1/2 c.unsalted butter, room temp.

4 oz.low-fat cream cheese, room temp

3 c. powdered sugar, sift if lumpy

1/4 c. unsweetened coconut milk

1/2 tsp. vanilla

1/2 tsp. coconut extract

Beat butter,cream cheese with mixer untillight & fluffy

Add p. sugar, coconut milk,vanilla,& coconut extract & beat until well blended & smooth.

Brown rice flour blend: 2 c. fine brown rice flour

2/3 c. potato starch ( not flour)

1/3 c. tapicoa flour

The only one I know that has fine brown rice flour is Authenic Foods. Annalise states only use this fine flour As reg. brown rice flour is gritty.

Nini

I hope you can surprise your Dad with this........

Nini -- Is there a filling in the bear claws your craving??? I alway thought they were pastry dough with maple icing!!!Maybe I was missing something & didn't even know it!!!!!

mamaw

Guest nini

Oh thank you mamaw!!!!!

The bearclaws I'm craving are like donuts only a little denser, and coated with a maple syrup kinda glaze sometimes nuts as well, And they are shaped like a paw... the donut shop I used to walk to when I was a kid had these every saturday morning and it was like the best thing in the world

Archived