Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest NitaB

Anyone Have Trouble With Sugar?

Guest NitaB

Hi, it has been quite some time since I've needed to read more about Celiac, foods, etc. I have been gluten-free for 2 1/2 years. I went on a cruise in Oct. and have had some digestive trouble ever since. I am pretty sure I am gluten-free again now, but I still keep having bloating, cramping, gas, and either constipation or slight diarrhea. I even began to wonder if it was sugar. I know it isn't good for me, but do like to have candy or ice cream sometimes. I seldom make gluten-free desserts, but even the last two I made bothered me.

My S.O. is very sensitive to my changing moods, and can now tell when I've eaten something, as I get droopy or grumpy. He can sometimes tell, even before I do! He is a great cook, and very happy to make gluten-free meals for us both to eat. So, we are both stumped as to what is bothering me now.

Anyone have trouble with sugar? I got alarmed by a news report saying Cancer feeds on sugar! I don't want my old lesions to someday turn to Cancer. My oldest brother died of colon cancer, and my GI Dr. said he may well have had Celiac. No one else in my family wants to even be tested for Celiac. They all think they'll be fine, until they get sick and have to consider being tested.

Thanks for any help!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi Nita:

I always thought (and was misdiagnosed) I had hypoglycemia or at least 'reactive hypoglycemia' when I ate sugary foods. After I learned I have celiac, milk and soy allergies and abstained from those foods, I thought I would stop craving sweets and stop having panicky or irritable reactions after eating sugar containing foods. I hoped that eating a gluten free diet would prevent the blood sugar lows, when I didn't eat enough fats and protein with a sugar containing meal. However, my sugar sensitivity symptoms as well as bloating, cramping and gas continued, despite strictly abstaining from gluten, dairy and soy.

Then I saw a naturopath in my area who gave me the ELISA test which indicated I have egg and CANE SUGAR allergies, in addition to gluten, dairy and soy allergies. I also had Klebsiella bacteria and bacterial dysbiosis (very little good bacteria). After I abstained from cane sugar those panicky, rapid heart beat symptoms totally disappeared. I could still eat honey, beet sugar, aguave, fruit sweetner and even corn syrup, without my 'sugar' sensitivity reactions. I can also eat fruit between meals without 'balancing' that with fats and proteins. What I had believed was 'hypoglycemia' was REALLY a cane sugar allergy. After I eliminated cane sugar, I had no cravings for that. I can eat the other sweetners in moderate amounts and feel satisfied, but not experience any 'hypoglycemic' symptoms.

I suggest you get the ELISA allergy blood test panel for 100 different foods (including cane sugar and honey) to determine whether you have an IgG mediated cane sugar allergy. My naturopath explained that cane sugar is in the same grass family as wheat. So people who have long undiagnosed gluten intolerance (or celiac disease) can also develop antibodies which fit the cane sugar protein or a IgG antibody mediated cane sugar allergy.

BURDEE

Gluten, dairy, soy, egg, cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg free. Enterolab diagnosed gluten/casein intolerant 7/04; soy intolerant 8/07. ELISA test diagnosed egg/cane sugar IgG allergies 8/06; vanilla/nutmeg 8/06. 2006-10 diagnosed by DNA Microbial stool tests and successfully treated: Klebsiella, Enterobacter Cloaecae, Cryptosporidia, Candida, C-diff, Achromobacter, H. Pylori and Dientamoeba Fragilis. 6/10 Heidelberg capsule test diagnosed hypochloridia. Vitamin D deficiency, hypothyroiditis, hypochloridia and low white blood cells caused vulnerability to infections. I now take Betaine HCl, probiotics, Vitamin D and T3 thyroid supplement to maintain immunity.

Hi Nita,

As this has just developed after a cruise is it possible you picked up a bug, a parasite, or something? That can throw your system out.

Sugar also tends to throw me out and worsen symptoms (and I crash energy wise) - unless I am having it and exercising at the same time (I am a try-athlete. :))

Sally

Sally

Aussie living in Philippines, Manager, Triathlete, Mum to 2 dogs, 2 cats & fish

___________________________________________________________________________________

Hypothyroid, diag. 2000, desicated thryoid 3 grains + T4 50 mcg.

Pituitary adenoma, 2002 - no treatment (no followup yet)

Polycystic, 2000 - no treatment

IBD by biopsy - end 2006 (cause not investigated)

Suspected Gluten intolerant/celiac - not diagnosed

Gluten Free - start Dec 06 (big improvement in tummy troubles, though still not 100%..)

Allergies suspected to Rice, Mango, Chicken, some fish (though testing)... still trying to work it all out.

It is possible that it is sugar. Do you have dairy or soy sensitivites? I know that lactose & soy both produce the same symtpoms in me as you describe. I would try keeping a food diary to see if you can figure out exactly what it is that is bothering you. It took me a while to figure out my soy intolerance. Soy is in so much b/c when it says "vegetable oil" more times than not, it is soy. Plus, most chocolate has soy lectihen in it and that bothers me too.

Good luck and I hope you figure it out soon.

Kim

"Life isn't about how to survive the storm

but how to dance in the rain."

Positive bloodwork 1/9/06

gluten-free since 1/12/06

Very positive dietary response

DS (12 years old)

Biopsy 7/7/06 ~ Diagnosed Celiac 7/12/2006

gluten-free since 7/15/2006

DD (almost 6)

HLA-DQ2 positive

Celiac Bloodwork negative 2 different times

Still eating gluten for now.

I definitely have problems with (refined) sugar, so I stay away from it!!! I never used white sugar (or the usual sugar substitutes like Splenda) but loved brown cane sugar. For the past year or so I've used Stevia, but am going to slowly start experimenting with things like honey, maple syrup and the like again. My big issue is that everything tastes WAY too sweet to me now!

Gluten-free since 10/05 - Positive dietary response with Doctor's validation! - Debilitating migraines, constant dizziness and lightheadedness gone; anxiety & panic attacks, depression, agoraphobia and extreme exhaustion considerably lessoned

Dairy/Casein Intolerant

Soy, Cabbage, Sugar, Peanut, Shellfish, Caffeine, Egg, Potato and Tomato allergies / intolerances

Sporadic reactions to: Poultry

Avoiding all preservatives and additives

Also Multiple Chemical/Environmental Sensitivities

Mitral Valve Prolapse

Pulmonary Embolism - 1999

Dance, when you're broken open.

Dance, if you've torn the bandage off.

Dance in the middle of fighting.

Dance in your blood.

Dance, when you are perfectly free.

RUMI

Guest NitaB

Thanks burdee, Sally, Kim, and Soul! One thing I do need to do is keep a food diary. I haven't tried that yet, so will be my first step. I guess the puzzling thing is, what I think bothers me one time, doesn't seem to another time. I understand that stuff I used to eat, may now bother me, due to even small amounts of gluten also bothering me. Beings I am now pretty gluten-free, things that may be related, now also bother me. The food diary may just help!

Kim, I have always drank lots of milk, and it never bothers me. So, not lactose intolerant. Not sure about soy.

Sally, really don't think I picked up a bug on the cruise. I don't feel like that particular serving staff was as helpful as most I've had the last 2 1/2 years. My cruise next month is on a line that will be more helpful, or has in the past, anyway.

burdee, how expensive is the ELISA test? I have ex-DH's retirement insurance, which doesn't cover tests or preventative medicine.

Thanks to all of you for your advice, it is much appreciated! :)