Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

miasuziegirl2

I Need Help!

I have been trying to make bread for over a month now, and I'm not getting anywhere. I've used several different mixes, and even tried one recipe I found in a gluten free cookbook to no avail. My problem is that every time I take the bread out of the oven or bread maker I find a beautiful loaf of bread. But within a few moments the sides cave in and I have something that looks really sick !

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I was even told that replacing the liquid in the bread mix with 7Up would solve my problem, but for some reason I just can't solve this problem. I would appreciate any help that I can get, because I'm going broke trying to make bread that I have to throw in the trash.!!!

Thanks,

Suzie

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Guest nini

first of all, don't throw the failed breads into the trash... I save mine for breadcrumbs for breading chicken or in other dishes... you can crumble it in a food processor (or by hand) and store in the freezer in a ziploc freezer bag.

Have you tried Pamela's Wheat Free Bread Mix? That is the only bread mix that I use anymore. I've tried a lot of them but this one seems to work perfect every time (well as long as I don't have a child running around screaming during the yeast rising process :rolleyes: ) but that can happen with any bread.

As to why your breads are caving in, are you using eggs or egg replacer? Milk or Water? What mixes have you tried? There are several factors at play here and to troubleshoot we need details!

The only bread I like at all is the ciabatta recipe in 125 Best Gluten-Free Recipes. Believe me, the book is worth the price for this one recipe. It smells like bread when baking and holds together.

richard

I use Betty Hagman's recipe for potato bread and it tastes good and turns out unless the humity is high. Also do not substitute anything in your recipe.

I have been trying to make bread for over a month now, and I'm not getting anywhere. I've used several different mixes, and even tried one recipe I found in a gluten free cookbook to no avail. My problem is that every time I take the bread out of the oven or bread maker I find a beautiful loaf of bread. But within a few moments the sides cave in and I have something that looks really sick !

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I was even told that replacing the liquid in the bread mix with 7Up would solve my problem, but for some reason I just can't solve this problem. I would appreciate any help that I can get, because I'm going broke trying to make bread that I have to throw in the trash.!!!

Thanks,

Suzie

Thanks,

Suzie

I really appreciate your reply. I'll get back to you at the beginning of next week. ('ll try your suggestions

first. ) Ihave to go to the store Monday. Do you have any suggestions on anything I should buy when I go?

Suzie