This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

This Is Hard

bonnieboo

bonnieboo Apprentice

:( I don't think I can do this. I am a conveniance food type, I don't cook and don't have time for anything difficult. Conveniance foods are often bread products, so I have no idea what to eat!

Also, I haven't heard about my bloodwork. My GI appt isn't till next Monday. Would they call me if the BW was positive? Would they call me if it was negative? Will they just wait for my appointment? They've called me with neg test results before. I also had an abdominal ultrasound. They said they do have the results of that when they made the appointment...but didn't tell me what they were. I'm assuming that means I'm not dying of some dread disease, right?

I'm just stressing hard. I ate some mixed nuts awhile ago and immediately got post nasal drip and I'm my hands are swelling a bit. WTF is that about? I've never paid any attention to my body's reaction to food before. Now everything seems to be causing a problem.

Sorry for the rambling whine...I'm just stressed and don't think I can do this. But I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired!

Thanks for listening...

b

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest NitaB

bonnieboo, sorry you are not feeling well. I wouldn't count on a blood test being the answer. My only two came back negative, but I had an upper endoscopy that showed lesions in my duodenum, indicative of celiac. I went on a gluten-free diet for 6 months, but knew in 2 weeks I was better! A 2nd endoscopy 6 months later showed significant healing of those lesions!

A gluten-free diet is hard, but once you feel better, it will be worth the effort! Good luck!

BTW, I also don't cook! There are some good gluten-free foods, frozen entrees, one bread that tastes okay when toasted. Until I got this wonderful guy-friend, who is a grat cook, and very happy to cook gluten-free for me, I ate take-out, fast food, easy to fix. It is doable, but not much variety!

Sinenox Apprentice

I agree. This is really quite difficult. I'm in college and the people who serve the food don't understand. So I tried to withdraw my money and do my own shopping and cooking. Luckily I have friends living off-campus whose kitchen I can use regularly. But my schedule is hectic and I don't have much money and I can't go out to eat or drink with friends and it's really just very difficult to deal with. People seem to have a lot of good advice for those in stable situations but for people who travel constantly and live in transitory situations or at college like me, there's nothing anyone has to say. It's frustrating and disheartening and I loved bread more than anyone else I knew to begin with. It's tempting to just be sick, even though it hurts so much. I wish I knew what to do with myself. All college food is convenience food. Advice appreciated, as always.

Guest NitaB
I agree. This is really quite difficult. I'm in college and the people who serve the food don't understand. So I tried to withdraw my money and do my own shopping and cooking. Luckily I have friends living off-campus whose kitchen I can use regularly. But my schedule is hectic and I don't have much money and I can't go out to eat or drink with friends and it's really just very difficult to deal with. People seem to have a lot of good advice for those in stable situations but for people who travel constantly and live in transitory situations or at college like me, there's nothing anyone has to say. It's frustrating and disheartening and I loved bread more than anyone else I knew to begin with. It's tempting to just be sick, even though it hurts so much. I wish I knew what to do with myself. All college food is convenience food. Advice appreciated, as always.

We were posting at the same time! Please don't ignore this gluten-free diet. It can do damage that you won't want. I have found a gluten-free store about 12 miles from me, so I shop there weekly. They suggest foods for me, from advice from other celiacs! Glutino has a frozen cheese pizza, but I add a bit of ham. It is pretty good! Kinnikinnick white bread is pretty good, when toasted. I use plenty of peanut butter, or jam, or use it to make grilled cheese sandwiches. I think you loved bread because you are allergic to it! I LOVED breads, donuts, pie crust, brownies, pastry. Think I craved it because I was allergic to it! I no longer crave those things, surprising even to me!

If you eat fast food, be sure to find out if they use a dedicated fryer for their fries. And there are individual dressing packets that I carry in my purse, so I can always have salad for lunch. I buy them from the gluten free pantry, online, shipped to me.

Best of luck to you! Believe me, it gets easier and better with time.

Guest AutumnE

It is hard, very hard in the beginning. They do have conveinence foods for this but they are pricey. I found it easiest in the beginning to start out with meat, fruit, rice and veggies. I would throw things in the crockpot regularly. Chicken noodle soup was a common one for me. I would throw chicken and lipton's cream of chicken cup of soup in the crockpot and let it cook all night, in the morning boil up tinkyada pasta you can also throw in carrots and celery.

I would also search through the products part of the forum. Alot of convienence foods are listed and it helped me quite a bit to have a quick glance of things to buy. I use to eat campbell's chunky broccoli potato soup-its pretty good and quick for when you dont have time no adding water needed.

Regarding the nuts-did you scan the label? I bought rite aid mixed nuts before and sure enough there was gluten in it. I also bought another brand and I believe it had cross contamination since when I bought the whole foods unsalted nuts I had no problem with them.

maribeth Apprentice

Does the lipton's cream of chicken cup of soup not have wheat flour in it? I know the mushroom does. Beth.

[ I would throw lipton's cream of chicken cup of soup in the crockpot and let it cook all night, in the morning boil up tinkyada pasta you can also throw in carrots and celery.

Guest AutumnE

yes its gluten free :) I use it to make green bean casserole. Cook it on chicken, make gravies out of it, it really helps me quite a bit. Cream of tomato is gluten free also.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jknnej Collaborator

There are a lot of quick gluten-free meals...Amy's brand has canned chili and soups that are sooo good. There are frozen Amy's meals...even Mac & Cheese...I get those from the local grocery store..they all sell them.

You can also have regular peanut butter on gluten-free bread.....tuna fish is gluten free...I eat that at lunch every day with fruit. Oatmeal for breakfast..I buy one gluten-free bag over the internet and it lasts forever at giftsofnature.net

McDonald's fries and salads are safe, as is their yummy McFlurry ice cream.

Mission Tortilla chips and Pace Picante salsa are gluten-free.

In N Out Burger is safe if you get it protein style...yummy!!

Chipotle has gluten-free meals. Jamba Juice has gluten-free smoothies if you're on the go.

Peiwei/PF Chang's have gluten-free menus

so does Outback Steakhouse and Carrabba's Italian Grill.

You can buy gluten-free pretzels, rice meals, cookies, everything you desire online.

the hard part isn't finding food, it's planning ahead. But you must do it! If you buy enough food to last you awhile you will always have quickie meals on the go.

Envirokidz peanut butter panda cereal is awesome. Ener G Foods granola mix is wonderful.

Kinnikinnik has the best donuts. Whole Foods Bakery has pies, bagels, brownies, cakes, all made up for you at your nearest location.

You just have to do some research but trust me, it's out there!!!!

Keep your chin up...it does get easier!!!

Guest AutumnE
Envirokidz peanut butter panda cereal is awesome.

\

My daughter loves their peanut butter granola bars for a quick snack. Delimex taquitos are gluten free and really cheap (read packaging since some are from corn and some are from wheat).

A few other food ideas that are quick. Mccormick's sloppy joe sauce and their taco seasoning is gluten free. I just use corn tortillas for my family for the tacos, it also is nice for a taco salad we use cool ranch doritos.

I use prego sauce, tinkyada pasta and hamburger for spaghetti.

I love kinnikinnick quick bread mix, You just add liquid (milk or water) to the mix throw it in the loaf pan and cook it. I do most of my cooking on the weekends since its when I have the most time to do baking and freeze up soups and make breads, desserts or other things that can be made ahead of time.

I agree whole foods is wonderful, I love that store.

kbtoyssni Contributor
:( I don't think I can do this. I am a conveniance food type, I don't cook and don't have time for anything difficult. Conveniance foods are often bread products, so I have no idea what to eat!

Also, I haven't heard about my bloodwork. My GI appt isn't till next Monday. Would they call me if the BW was positive? Would they call me if it was negative? Will they just wait for my appointment? They've called me with neg test results before. I also had an abdominal ultrasound. They said they do have the results of that when they made the appointment...but didn't tell me what they were. I'm assuming that means I'm not dying of some dread disease, right?

I'm just stressing hard. I ate some mixed nuts awhile ago and immediately got post nasal drip and I'm my hands are swelling a bit. WTF is that about? I've never paid any attention to my body's reaction to food before. Now everything seems to be causing a problem.

Sorry for the rambling whine...I'm just stressed and don't think I can do this. But I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired!

Thanks for listening...

b

Sorry you're not doing well. I have no idea if your doctor will call about the blood work. It really depends on the doctor. Why don't you give him a call and ask if the results are in?

Did you check if the nuts are manufactured in the same facility as wheat? It is quite common and I know my mother has gotten glutened from contaminated nuts before.

If you're looking for convenience, you could try rice cakes with PB, or basmati rice cooks super quickly. Or any type of fruit. Or eggs: scrambled, omelette, hard boiled. I love eggs.

Good luck and hang in there!

StrongerToday Enthusiast

It gets so much easier, it's worth it!! I started this in August 2005 and gave up dairy as well. I didn't cook much either, at the time. Now I cook all the time and look forward to planing what we're going to have. I always try to plan extra for leftovers. I cook simply - grilled steak, chicken, fish with baked potato and green veggie. I do buy some gluten-free treats (donuts, pizza crusts, etc.) but they are expensive and frankly I don't need a dozen donuts sitting around calling my name :rolleyes:

To get started - first, breathe! Try to relax, it's just one day at a time. Find out first if your dr. has run all the tests they need; if not you should still be eating gluten to get a reliable test result. That being said, not all "negatives" are accurate. My tests came out "perfectly normal" but my dr. encourages me to listen to my body.

The next important step is to keep a food journal. I'd write down what I ate and if/when I felt a reaction. Some food reactions can come days later. It was helpful to see a correlation.

You can do it, and we're here to help.

Guest AutumnE

I would be careful with mcdonalds, they do not have a dedicated fryer. Very easy to get cross contamination. As a matter of fact there is a lawsuit concerning it in the works. But its regarded toward the parents of autistic children who follow gluten free diets.

zansu Rookie

1. I promise, it's not the end of the world. I used to eat bread to calm down my stomach from the GERD. yeah, that was a big help.

2. In the VERY cheap and easy category, Thai Kitchen has several rice noodle soups, some in packets some in plastic bowls. Those that are gluten-free say so on the label. The packets are $.89 at my store. I frequently add a single serve tin of valley fresh chicken (watch out, some brands add food starch) so I feel like I got a meal. This was always my non-refrigerated, takes nothing but hot water, travel meal (I'd either buy the one in the bowl or bring a rubbermaid bowl).

3. I add the same chicken and a handful of frozen green beans to Amys Mac and Cheese for a complete meal.

It can be done. It can be done on a budget (with imagination). It can be done on travel. It is worth it. you will feel better.

BTW, I'm back in school now working on my masters, and my cafeteria fixes a gluten-free lunch for me. it's almost always a chicken breast. frequently roasted potatoes. But I told the lady, safe is much more important than variety. She hasn't glutened me yet. (Of course I printed out a guide for her from the web and put it in a sheet protector for her to put up in the kitchen). So, ask the cafeteria, maybe the school nurse of dean of students can help with this. You might not be the only one.

It is worth it.

Guhlia Rising Star

1. Ore Ida microwave french fries, I forget their exact name, but they're delicious.

2. Oscar Meyer lunch meats w/ Kraft cheese rolled up

3. Oscar Meyer lunch meats w/ Philly cream cheese rolled up.

4. Minute rice, easy to make in microwave while studying.

5. Tinkyada pasta (takes 20 minutes from start to finish), add sauce and eat.

6. Kinnikinnick bagels w/ Philly cream cheese.

7. Eggs (very easy in microwave).

8. Quesadilla (Mission corn tortilla, Kraft cheddar, Pace salsa), easy to cook in microwave or under broiler.

9. Oscar Meyer hot dogs w/ Heinz ketchup. (no bun or Kinnikinnick hot dog buns)

10. Lunchables nachos with cheese and salsa.

11. Salad w/ Kraft dressing.

12. Planters mixed nuts.

13. Carrot and celery sticks w/ Kraft Ranch Dressing.

14. Progresso soups (some are gluten free).

15. Grandma Utz and Gibbles potato chips.

16. Del Monte fruit in fruit juice.

17. Kozy Shack rice pudding.

18. Fresh fruit and fresh veggies.

19. Baked potato in the microwave loaded with real butter.

20. Bacon in microwave.

21. Delimex corn tortilla Taquitos.

22. Cavendish microwave hashbrowns.

23. Kraft string cheese.

24. Dora Stars cereal w/ milk.

25. Yoplait yogurt including drinkeables and go-gurt.

25. Mission brand corn tortillas w/ JIF peanut butter and Smuckers jelly.

26. SPAM.

27. Purdue chicken breasts boiled in water in microwave or on stove, dip in Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce.

28. Cheetohs.

29. Some Dorito flavors.

30. Tostitos corn chips w/ dip.

31. Manwich sandwiches are easy to make in microwave, serve on Kinnikinnick rolls.

32. Glutano crisp bread w/ peanut butter.

33. Pop Secret butter flavored popcorn.

34. Glutano, glutino, and Ener-G pretzels.

35. Sun Maid raisins.

36. Gluten Free Pantry skillet meals, very quick and easy.

37. Mrs. Leepers skillet meals, very quick and easy.

38. Jell-O brand puddings and jellos (most).

39. Thai Kitchen microwave bowls.

Always read ingredients on labels. Not all Kraft products are gluten free.

tarnalberry Community Regular

It seems really really hard at first, because all the stuff you're familiar with has wheat in it. Once you get past the learning curve, and get familiar with a bunch of stuff that's safe for you, it won't seem so hard. The tough part is getting past the learning curve.

IMHO, the only way to do the diet with reliable safety is to do a fair amount of your own "cooking". But "cooking" here does not in any way mean a four-course meal with sauces and whatnots. When I'm busy, it might mean draining a can of tuna, mashing up half an avocado (I don't like mayo and can't have dairy, so no sour cream/yogurt for this), and chopping up a tomato, then spooning it on to lettuce.

It's absolutely worth it, however, to keep you from being sick and suffering the long term complications of untreated celiac disease (cancer, nutritional deficiencies, and other autoimmune conditions, for example).

jkmunchkin Rising Star

Thanks for listening...

b

I promise you, you can do this! You just need to tell yourself this is something you have to do. Before I was diagnosed, I ate out or ordered takeout 6 - 7 days a week. If I did cook, it was most likely something like Lipton noodle sides or mac n' cheese. Granted eating gluten free can often take a little more effort and planning, but it gave me a new hobby. I actually found I love to cook, and I'm quite good at it.

Sometimes when I come home from work and it's late and I'm tired, I want nothing more than to order chinese food to be delivered; but those are the nights I make my Bell & Evans gluten free chicken nuggets, or frozen chicken taquitos from Trader Joe's. There are certainly not as many, but convenience foods are still there.

We are all here to support you and help you learn. There is still Honey'd Cornflakes cereal with banana for dinner when I'm being super lazy. ;)

Archived