Guest Kathy Ann

Need Answer Quickly

Rate this topic

Guest Kathy Ann

We've found a gluten free turkey. But now we need to know which charcoal doesn't have wheat/gluten in it. I heard that some do. He's in the store right now.

Thanks so much!

Natural WOOD charcoal is gluten free. Any brand will do.

Brickette do contain gluten

Guest Kathy Ann

Thanks! Please forgive my ignorance on this. Could you give me a brand? Is Kingsford OK, for instance? We live in a small community and may not have as many choices. My son is concerned that all mainstream charcoal IS briquets. Any idea what mainstream store sells the wood charcoal?? WalMart? Target?

Thanks again! Appreciate the quick reply.

We've found a gluten free turkey. But now we need to know which charcoal doesn't have wheat/gluten in it. I heard that some do. He's in the store right now.

Thanks so much!

Did a Google and found these for you:

**Charcoal, Natural Hardwood Gourmet Lump Charcoal, Mali's

Product ID: 031436000111

Size: 10lb

Burns faster, burns cleaner, uses less than traditional charcoal. Plus, it's not laden with all those chemicals found in traditional charcoal. Natural wood gourmet charcoal sets a new standard of excellence for grilling. If you are gluten intolerant, avoid the risk of gluten from briquettes with Mali's Natural Hardwood Gourmet Lump Charcoal. This 100% hardwood chunk charcoal has been made the old fashioned way - from chunks of charred hardwood. No chemicals, no binders - it burns hotter and cleaner than briquettes. It doesn't leave any ash on the food. Food has a nice smoky flavor. And what's left can be reused, just pour water over it when done.**

**Chef's Wood 100% Natural Mesquite Charcoal

was listed as being gluten-free.**

**From Clan Thompson "QUESTION: I read on the celiac forum that Kingsford Charcole used Wheat as a filler. I e-mailed Kingsford this week and they said that even though they could not give me the ingredients in their product, it was gluten free. I have missed hamburgers and steak cooked over charcole. Do you have any knowledge of this?

CONNIE SARROS: I had heard that wheat was used in charcoal as a filler, but I didn't really know much about it, so I researched it. According to the Texas Wheat Producers Board And Association, and The Kansas Wheat Commission, wheat starch is used as a binder in most commercial charcoal briquettes. On another site, I found the Kingsford charcoal ingredients listed as folows: Wood Charcoal, Lignite Charcoal, Anthracite Coal, Limestone, Starch, Borax, Sawdust and Sodium Nitrate. This list does not specify where the starch comes from, but at an allergy site, more information about Kingsford Briquets was provided: "Both corn and wheat starches are used in this product, but they predominantly use cornstarch. They do not make any food products that do not contain gluten. This was confirmed by the company." There is a positive note to all this. While reading about charcoal in general, I learned that if you allow your coals to burn to a complete ashy surface before you start cooking, any glues and additives will burn off before you start cooking. Hope this helps."**

What about borrowing someone else's GAS grill? Sounds better to me! If I find any other info, I will post it for you.

Thanks so much!

http://www.food4celiacs.com/news/2006-05.pdf

http://www.harvestcoop.com/pages/updates/t...1/july2001.html

Maybe you can buy what they are suggesting at Whole Foods or some other natural food store. Hope these help!

Thanks! Please forgive my ignorance on this. Could you give me a brand? Is Kingsford OK, for instance? We live in a small community and may not have as many choices. My son is concerned that all mainstream charcoal IS briquets. Any idea what mainstream store sells the wood charcoal?? WalMart? Target?

Thanks again! Appreciate the quick reply.

Cowboy Hardwood Charcoal.

Guest Kathy Ann

Thanks so much everybody! :) I called to check with Menards and they DO have "Cowboy 100% Lump Hardwood Charcoal." It helped tremendously to know what I was looking for. And now I'm educated for the future on charcoal briquets. I'm allergic to corn AND gluten. Unfortunately, we don't have a Whole Foods or Wild Oats in our entire state! Hope that changes soon. It makes all of this SOOOOO much harder.