• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

sandree

Enterolab Results - Having A Hard Time Accepting This

Rate this topic

I got my Enterolab results. I had the test done because my daughter (adopted from Korea) is in the process of being evaluated for Aspergers Syndrome. We put her on a gluten-free diet because of stomach pain and gas. Her blood tests were inconclusive because she was already gluten-free for one month when they did the tests. Dr. asked to challenger her. I tried and she was so miserable that I couldn't do it for long enough. She is defnitely responding to the diet.

I have had some ongoing problems which made me suspect I might have food problems. I did the Enterolab test and got these results today.

I guess I was not expecting to see the celiac gene there. Does the presence of a main celiac gene mean I am actively celiac or just that the possibility exists that I could become celiac? Several years ago I had the blood tests done because of stomach pain and they were negative. I also had a colonoscopy which was normal. The casein is also elevated. Sheesh...I just about live on cheese. This is going to be so hard...

Anyway...any light you could shed on these results would be most appreciated!

Thanks so much, Sandy

Fecal Antigliadin IgA 21 (Normal Range <10 Units)

Fecal Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 15 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)

Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score <300 Units (Normal Range <300 Units)

Fecal anti-casein (cow’s milk) IgA antibody 19 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 06xx

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,1 (Subtype 2,6)

Having a celiac gene does not mean you have celiac, it has to be triggered. But judging from your elevated scores, it looks like you are probably on your way to having it. Just consider yourself to have caught it early.

I agree with Carla. But lots of times those with dairy problems can eat dairy later after being gluten free for awhile. You might want to go gluten-free for about three weeks and then see how you respond to cheese. But I would start out with a white cheese - it took me months before yellow cheese stopped bothering me.

I agree with Carla. But lots of times those with dairy problems can eat dairy later after being gluten free for awhile. You might want to go gluten-free for about three weeks and then see how you respond to cheese. But I would start out with a white cheese - it took me months before yellow cheese stopped bothering me.

This is true for lactose intolerance, but unfortunately, it's not true for casein intolerance, which is permanent. I find VERY small amounts don't bother me ... like a little "non-dairy" creamer or a small piece of chocolate, so the cc is not as much of a problem as it is with gluten.

You've already got some good responses. You've got an active intolerance to both gluten and casein and from what enterolab told me, once those intolerances are turned on, they can't be turned off. It is different than the IgG delayed reaction intolerance. Enterolab tests IgA.

Cheese is definately the hardest to give up. I don't have an active (IgA) intolerance to it but I do have a low IgE/IgG reaction to dairy/casein.

Thanks, everybody. I will start my new diet and hope to feel some good changes in my body. It is certainly worth it, if I see changes. I have been living with my strange quirks and symptoms for so long, it will be interesting to see if they clear up.

Sandy