This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Something Sweet That Doesn't Have Pumpkin In It

almostnrn

almostnrn Explorer

I am already making a pumpkin cheesecake for Thanksgiving but I'm looking for an idea for another dessert that doesn't contain pumpkin or cream cheese. We have more than one family function to attend on Thursday and lets face it the cheesecake won't last and even if it does there is only so much cheesecake one can eat in a day. I would prefer something fairly simple as I will be transporting a lot of stuff already to my family dinners. Thanks for any ideas!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

AmyTopolski Apprentice

I would try an apple crisp. It's our family favorite!

Amy

almostnrn Explorer

Do you have a recipe for it? That does sound quite yummy!

Sweetfudge Community Regular

Here's the apple crisp recipe from the eating gluten free website:

Gluten Free Apple Crisp

Apple Base:

3-4 large granny smith apples

3-4 large golden delicious apples

1/3 c. packed brown sugar

1/2 tsp. cinnamon

1/8 tsp. nutmeg

Topping:

1 c. quinoa flakes (available at Good Earth)

1/4 c. featherlight mix (found on the main recipe page)

1 c. packed brown sugar

1/2 tsp cinnamon

1/2 c. margarine or butter

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Peel, core, slice apples. Mix apples, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Spread in a 9X13 pan. Combine topping ingredients in a medium bowl. Mix with fingers until well mixed. Sprinkle topping over apples. Bake for 30 minutes. Serve with cool whip or icecream.

Now that I posted it, I think I might just have to make some!

lonewolf Collaborator

Something even better than apple crisp is Raspberry Cran-Apple Crisp! Follow the same recipe, EXCEPT, leave out about 1/3 of the apples and substitute frozen raspberries (thaw before cooking) and half a package of cranberries. Guaranteed yummy!

jerseyangel Proficient

I also like it with peaches and blueberries. :)

tarnalberry Community Regular

Or the cheaters version: just plain baked apples (basically, just the apple pie filling; it's the best part of the pie anyway :D )

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFBetsy Rookie

Hey! I was going to say baked apples! :angry::lol:

Add 1/8 tsp. cloves to the apple combo in the apple crisp recipe . . . and just skip the topping.

Another REALLY good dessert is peach-raspberry cobbler. I made a bunch this summer (gluten free, of course) and took batches to two of my neighbors . . . they all loved it. But then I was sorry I'd given it all away because I ran out of peaches and couldn't make any more for myself!

debmidge Rising Star

I would suggest Lemon Meringue but I don't have gluten-free receipe and I am not sure if My-T-Fine or other boxed powder filling is gluten-free. Anyone know?

almostnrn Explorer

Thanks all for the great ideas....I'm hungry just thinking of them!

ArtGirl Enthusiast
1/4 c. featherlight mix (found on the main recipe page)

found it....

Bette Hagman's Featherlight Mix (makes 12 Cups of mix)

4 C rice flour

4 C tapioca flour

4 C Cornstarch

4 Tbs potato flour

AmyTopolski Apprentice
Do you have a recipe for it? That does sound quite yummy!

This is the recipe our family loves. Another option to make it more festive is to add some fresh cranberries. Hope you enjoy!

Apple Crisp

7 large apple, cored and sliced

1 cup gluten-free flour mix

½ cup brown sugar

¼ cup sugar

1 tsp cinnamon

½ cup butter, melted

Preheat oven to 350*. Put apples in a buttered 9x9 baking dish. In a small bowl combine brown sugar, sugar, and cinnamon. Add melted butter and mix well. Pour topping evenly over apples. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until apples are crisp tender.

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

You can also make a piecrust from walnuts and dates. You put two cups of each into a food processor and process until chunky, not smooth. Then you press it into a pie or tart pan. Refrigerate. Then you just add whatever -- in my case, very thinly sliced apples, raisins, apple juice, etc....in order to make apple pie. You can cook all the stuff down, or put it in raw and have a raw apple pie.

I admit I have yet to do this (don't want the apples to brown for Thursday)...but I'm making the crust today and the filling tomorrow morning.

Good luck.

Sweetfudge Community Regular

I found a recipe for a Rhubarb torte...and for some reason, I've been craving it since. Don't know if it's any good, but here's the recipe anyway, if this strikes your fancy:

From Mierelle (on the gluten-free delphi forum)

RHUBARB TORTE

2 C. gluten-free cornflake crumbs

2 T. sugar

1/2 C. margarine

4 C. fresh or frozen rhubarb

1 C. sugar

3 C. cold milk

1 C. water

1 small box gluten-free strawberry gelatin

2 C. Cool Whip® or Dream Whip

2 C. gluten-free miniature marshmallows

2 small boxes gluten-free instant vanilla pudding

Melt the margarine over low heat. Remove and stir in graham cracker crumbs and 2 tablespoons

sugar. Mix well and press into a 9 x 13-inch greased pan, pressing crumbs on bottom and about

1/2-inch up side of the pan. Bake at 325ºF for 5 minutes. Remove from oven and cool. Put sliced rhubarb, one cup water and the one cup of sugar in a 2-quart saucepan. Cook for 5 minutes or until rhubarb is tender. Remove from heat and stir in the gelatin. Cool. Mix together the Cool Whip and marshmallows. Set aside. When rhubarb mixture is cool; spread it on the baked, cool crust. Next spread the Cool Whip mixture on top of the rhubarb. Mix the instant vanilla pudding and the milk. Beat until smooth. Gently pour on top of the Cool Whip layer. Refrigerate about 4 hours or overnight.

almostnrn Explorer
found it....

Bette Hagman's Featherlight Mix (makes 12 Cups of mix)

4 C rice flour

4 C tapioca flour

4 C Cornstarch

4 Tbs potato flour

I love the featherlight mix and I found a store her locally that sells the premade Authentic foods kind. Featherlight works amazingly well for frying chicken and it actually stays much crispier than reagular flour when cooked in a little olive oil.

And for all of you who posted these wonderful ideas.. my DH is sitting her drooling over the ideas. He said I need to start baking more often, lol.

Saz Explorer

Well I'm an Aussie so I really know nothing about Thanksgiving or what food your meant to eat (except for turkey) What about a chocolate slice?

Archived