This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Strange Sensation In Mouth

Mamato2boys

Mamato2boys Contributor

<_<

I have NO idea what this is, as I've never experienced it before - but it's VERY annoying !! Last night's dinner was prepared by the other family member that is gluten sensitive. He's not *real* knowledgeable (ex: he thought spelt was a safe grain), but he does pretty darn well. I think I inadvertently got glutened though, despite both of us being careful. I had gas (so therefore, my 3 month old that I'm breastfeeding had painful gas too, and was pretty inconsolable). I also noticed pretty shortly after dinner the sensation in my mouth. The only way I can explain it is on my cheeks and around the front of my mouth near my lip (again, this is all inside my mouth), feels like there's a "coating" on it. It's not painful, but it does have a slightly grainy feeling. When I look in the mirror I don't see anything. I keep trying to rinse my mouth with water and running my tongue along where I feel it in an effort to get rid of the coating feeling, to no avail.

:huh:

Anybody ever hear of this ? What the heck IS this ??

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

oceangirl Collaborator
<_<

I have NO idea what this is, as I've never experienced it before - but it's VERY annoying !! Last night's dinner was prepared by the other family member that is gluten sensitive. He's not *real* knowledgeable (ex: he thought spelt was a safe grain), but he does pretty darn well. I think I inadvertently got glutened though, despite both of us being careful. I had gas (so therefore, my 3 month old that I'm breastfeeding had painful gas too, and was pretty inconsolable). I also noticed pretty shortly after dinner the sensation in my mouth. The only way I can explain it is on my cheeks and around the front of my mouth near my lip (again, this is all inside my mouth), feels like there's a "coating" on it. It's not painful, but it does have a slightly grainy feeling. When I look in the mirror I don't see anything. I keep trying to rinse my mouth with water and running my tongue along where I feel it in an effort to get rid of the coating feeling, to no avail.

:huh:

Anybody ever hear of this ? What the heck IS this ??

I had a feeling like that all the while I breastfed my daughter except it also extended to the back of my throat. Eventually saw an ear, nose throat guy 'cause I was going nuts, but no one ever found anything. I still have odd 'mouth" reactions to food on occassion-(now I'm going through menopause) I think it might be hormonal. It's very weird, though. Hope it goes away for you soon!

lisa

jerseyangel Proficient

You said "grainy". Does you mouth also feel dry? I get a very dry feeling in my mouth with certain foods that I'm intolerant to. Tapioca does this to me as well as some nuts.

chrissy Collaborator

i have some of that in my mouth right now.

Mamato2boys Contributor

No, that's the weird thing - it felt plenty moist.

The sensation has since gone away - I still have no clue what that was all about. Before it went away though, the underside of my tongue got sore - it kind of felt like the frenulum (the little string that attaches your tongue) felt swollen. I also got kind of a pimple between my right cheek and gum. I've gotten those before (have no clue what those are, either), but I just break it and it goes away.

:blink:

It's just to keep life interesting, I guess ! :lol:

Michi8 Contributor
No, that's the weird thing - it felt plenty moist.

The sensation has since gone away - I still have no clue what that was all about. Before it went away though, the underside of my tongue got sore - it kind of felt like the frenulum (the little string that attaches your tongue) felt swollen. I also got kind of a pimple between my right cheek and gum. I've gotten those before (have no clue what those are, either), but I just break it and it goes away.

:blink:

It's just to keep life interesting, I guess ! :lol:

The "pimple" was probably a canker sore...I get them occassionally. You may have had canker sores under your tongue too (canker sores can be like pimples, or can be open sores, or just sore spots)...considering the whole area has mucous membranes, it's not surprising it would react to foods you are sensitive to.

Michelle

Mamato2boys Contributor
The "pimple" was probably a canker sore...I get them occassionally. You may have had canker sores under your tongue too (canker sores can be like pimples, or can be open sores, or just sore spots)...considering the whole area has mucous membranes, it's not surprising it would react to foods you are sensitive to.

Michelle

I've had canker sores before...I thought those always hurt ?? This wasn't painful at all.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Michi8 Contributor
I've had canker sores before...I thought those always hurt ?? This wasn't painful at all.

Maybe they aren't canker sores then? I was told they were (I get those as well as the larger ulcers...and both come on quite suddenly.) I've found they don't hurt as much on the cheek as on the gums or tongue. When they pop they can be a bit more sore.

Mcihelle

• 11 years later...
Nanalita Newbie

Maybe it’s too late for replying. 

Dont worry about it. Cooking with buckwheat noodle can get very foamy. After the noodle is cooked you need to wash the noodle properly to remove starch. When I was new to buckwheat noodle I also didn’t knew and got that strange coating in the mouth too. 

Archived