Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

alveraz

My First Shopping Fiasco (questions)

So I just got back from the grocery store. I took my one inch thick list of gluten-free items that I could buy. Everything went smooth except for the following items, any help would be appreciated.

The list said Best Foods & Kraft Mayo was fine to purchase however both contained vinegar, so that was out. The list said Heinz ketchup (not 57) was gluten-free, it's not, it also contains vinegar so that was out. I couldnt find one salad dressing without vinegar so those were out too. Also, I could use suggestions on cereals and bread that is gluten-free.

Thanks for the help guys.

-al

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Al, why is vinegar out? Unless you're one of those extremely sensitive people who'd react to the minutest trace amounts of gluten, vinegar is fine. I believe even Nini (who is very sensitive) uses mayonnaise. I think it's Hellman's mayo, though.

I am sure you'll figure it out eventually. Since I can't use any of the items you mentioned because of other intolerances, I can't really help you with that. I am sure others will point towards ones that work for them. It is awfully difficult at first, but gets easier with time.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I just got back from the grocery store. I took my one inch thick list of gluten-free items that I could buy. Everything went smooth except for the following items, any help would be appreciated.

The list said Best Foods & Kraft Mayo was fine to purchase however both contained vinegar, so that was out. The list said Heinz ketchup (not 57) was gluten-free, it's not, it also contains vinegar so that was out. I couldnt find one salad dressing without vinegar so those were out too. Also, I could use suggestions on cereals and bread that is gluten-free.

Thanks for the help guys.

-al

i found gluten free bread and cereals at wholefoods market. the bread is made by wholefoods, they have their own gluten free bakery.

rainy

Ah... vinegar.

Vinegar, when listed as "vinegar" on a label, must be derived from apples. (Code of Federal Regulations [CFR] Title 21, Sec. 525.825, revised March 1995) When listed as distilled vinegar, it *can* come from wheat, but distillation - according to all studies done on the subject and all chemical experts who have looked into the issue - removes the gluten molecule because it is comparitively very large and heavy, as opposed to the molecules that are kept for the vinegar. Additionally, many vinegars in products that say "distilled vinegar" come from corn, not wheat (such as Heinz's distilled white vinegar).

So, just because it says vinegar, doesn't mean you can't have it. In fact, unless it says malt vinegar, it's almsot certainly not a problem from a gluten perspective.

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

Some vinegars are ok, unless you specifically can't have any vinegars. Heinz ketchup is just fine, and so is Best Foods.

As for Cereals and Breads in a regular grocery store... probably not going to happen. Unless you like Cocoa Puffs, but I personally can't stand sugary cereals.

Kinnikinnick is my fav bread, they can be ordered online or found at Whole Foods or Wild Oats.

I like Health Valley Rice or Corn crunch em's, again a health food store item. I can't remember other cereals off the top of my head, but other people will chime in I'm sure.

Elonwy

Positive Bloodwork 7/8/05

Inconclusive Biopsy 7/20/05

gluten-free since 7/23/05

Never felt better.

"So here's us, on the raggedy edge, come a day when there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all. - Malcolm Reynolds"

Guest nini

yeah, vinegar is fine... old advice used to be for Celiacs to avoid vinegar, but more current research has shown that the distillation process for vinegar even if it's from a gluten source originally renders it safe. As was stated earlier, I'm extremely sensitive to the most minute amounts of cross contamination and I use products with vinegar all the time. No worries! Unless of course it's malt vinegar OR Heinz Apple Cider FLAVORED vinegar...

Wow! I had no idea there was this kind of support in here. You guys rock! Thank you so much for the advice. Yes, Im a newbie so I'm trying to figure it all out. Fortunately I picked up the heinz and best foods (just in case) and glad I did. :)

I'm heading to a health foods store soon to check out the cereals and breads suggested. Thanks again.

Oh yeah, any standard salad dressing you guys can suggest? Thanks.

kraft is very clear about listing any gluten ingredients.

hellmans does too.

newman's own.

ken's

wishbone, etc.

many of them are great....just have to read the labels carefully. I don't buy any "specialty" salad dressings...I get mainstream ones. I love newman's own and ken's. hellman's makes little packets (sometimes by the salad bar) that I buy a lot of and carry with me/keep at work.

hope this helps :)