Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

maribeth

Drinking Tea

I read somewhere that even tea bags might have gluten(thru the glue they use to seal them) Does anyone know if the herbal tetley teas esp camomile and green tea have gluten in them. It doesn't say on the box and I have been drinking it and feeling bloaty after drinking it sometimes.Thanks Beth.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

The gluten-to-seal-tea-bags is an urban legend - there has never been any solid evidence of this practice, and tea companies have repeatedly said that it makes no sense, the gluten would dissolve in water. (Tea bags that aren't held together with a fold and a staple are pressed together to form a pressure weave.)

However, you need to read the ingredients on tea you're looking to buy - tea can include things like barley. There are a couple flavors of herbal and green tea in the world that have gluten. (Tazo makes one, that I can't quite remember, actually. Ginger green, I think, but I could definitely be wrong.) Always Read Labels!

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

Guest cassidy

I can't say about the tetley. I know that the salada flavored decaf green teas have gluten. It is crazy what they put gluten in. I drink Bigelow. There are a couple of those that have gluten but most of them are ok. I drink the peppermint and raspberry just fine.