Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

vampella

Canada, Safe "regular" Foods...

I need help, I went shopping today and nothing was open when we called. I wanted to know what canadian campbells soups were safe and broths and so on...can anyone help me?

Emmah loves soup but come on, 6.00 for a 1L of soup,...SILLY. Yogurts? puddings?(right now we use kozy shack $$$$) ^The dietician told me no chocolate milk for her they use malt or wheat or something.. I don't remember. If any of you canadians wouldn't mind helpping me out I'd be greatful. paper towels, soaps...Man I told my DG I didn't want to shop on the weekend....I would call the companys myself but Emmah's asking for me every second (broken foot) and she's too small to use crutches and has to be in a wheelchair and can't wheel it ....sorry stressed!!

TIA

Char

Oh ya and Momothree, thanks for the cereal advice. haven't tried it yet but it's cheaper. THANK YOU!!!!

Char

Emmah 4 years- Celiac , gluten-free October 2006

Leigh-Ann 7 Years- Gluten lite

Gary- possible celiac

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

From Delphi List updated September 2006:

Soups

Campbell’s Canada (www.campbellsoup.ca/en/home.asp)

(v-01/27/06)

RED & WHITE: bean with bacon 10 fl oz, chicken broth 10 fl oz, chicken with rice 10 fl oz, chicken with white & wild rice 10 fl 0z, fiesta tomato 10 fl oz, tomato with basil & oregano 10 fl oz, vegetable broth with onions 10 fl oz

READY TO SERVE: fiesta vegetable 19 fl oz

READY TO SERVE HEALTHY REQUEST: New England clam chowder 19 fl oz

RED & WHITE READY TO USE: chicken broth 900 ml tetra, beef broth 25% less sodium 900 ml tetra, chicken broth 25% less sodium 900 ml tetra, chicken broth 500 ml tetra, Thai broth 500 ml tetra, vegetable broth 500 ml tetra

CHUNKY READY TO SERVE: split pea with ham 19 oz, steak chili

GARDENNAY SOUPS (TETRA PAK): butternut squash 500 ml & 1l, golden autumn carrot 500 ml & 1l, red pepper black bean 500 ml & 1l

HABITANT SOUPS: French Canadian pea 8 0z, 14 oz, & 28 oz, pea with garden vegetable 28 oz, pea with smoked ham 8, 14 & 28 oz

President's Choice Cream of Mushroom - Ready to Serve Soup (888-495-5111) (vp=4/11/06)

Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy

Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism

endometriosis (at age 20)

spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.

Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs

Rhiannon 8 yrs

Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."

Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.

-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."

Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."

Unknown

Anytime...... :D

I like the names in your family...... My second daughter is Rhiannon Leigh..... and my brother's name is Gary!

Hugs.

Karen

Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy

Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism

endometriosis (at age 20)

spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.

Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs

Rhiannon 8 yrs

Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."

Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.

-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."

Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."

Unknown

Char, when Susie was three she had a broken leg, and she got around the house fine on her own........sliding on her bum! So, just put her on the floor, and let her figure it out. No need to have her be in a wheelchair in the house and needing you all the time. And outside, a wheelchair is fine, but why not just use a normal stroller, or a wagon? That's what we used. It looks more normal, and is less of a pain.

Two of my grandchildren had broken legs when they were two, same thing, my daughter let them slide on their bums in the house, and put them in a stroller or wagon outside. It's less stress for the mother, and the child is more independent, and therefore much happier.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Emmah needs a wheelchair, she has modifications that go in her shoes because of feet problems and she's unsteady as it is so she's not to use her good foot at all either. no weight baring on either leg until her cast comes off. they don't want her to tipp over and break anything else lol. also her leg will not bend to allow her to into a stroller, that was my hope but not possible. As for scoothing, we have 2 large dogs, I don't want her getting trampled. they would trample in love "oh hey emmah, I'm walking on you that means throw the ball, come on do it, so it now" ya ones only 10 months and she's at a very hyper stage. no floor.

She likes her wheelchair. when she's not in it she's on the sofa but sometimes she wants to be in the wheelchair.. She went to preschool today, they were great, took her in and everything, I didn't think they would because someone has to take her to the bathroom but they are ok apparently.

Char

Emmah 4 years- Celiac , gluten-free October 2006

Leigh-Ann 7 Years- Gluten lite

Gary- possible celiac

Kraft (Jello), Healthy Choice and Hunts (both ConAgra) puddings all have gluten-free flavours - just check the label.

Yoplait mini-go or yogurt tubes almost all are gluten-free. The regular flavours should be fine, just make sure there isn't any granola type flavours or weird cookie yogurt if there is such a thing.

Most if not all Lucerne (Safeway) yogurts have no gluten-containing ingredients, but I think they'll give you a CYA response if you call.

Thai Kitchen has rice noodle soups kind of similar to Ichiban, but gluten-free and in my opinion better flavours, but maybe a bit out-there for a kid. Ty has them once in a while.

Bovril and McCormicks have boullion cubes/envelopes that are gluten-free. Watch out for Bovril and Oxo they look almost the same - both are made by Unilever and packaged in similar colours and labels but Oxo is NOT gluten-free.

We stick with the Campbell's condensed Chicken with Rice/Wild Rice, but I do have the tomato & basil, fiesta tomato on had for ingredients, but not plain soup. I don't like tomato soup at all, and I think the lady at the association said the tomatoes were good as ingredients, but rather nasty as plain soup.

PC ready to serve 3 mushroom is gluten-free as Karen mentioned.

There is a website with how to make your own gluten-free condensed cream of anything soup. Just a sec...

http://www.gfutah.org/recipes/Condensed%20Cream%20Soup.html

Condensed Cream soup

Copyright © 2002 by Amber Lee.

1 cup cold milk

2 Tbsp cornstarch

1 1/2 Tbsp butter

1 tsp chicken bouillon

1/2 tsp salt

dash of pepper

In a small saucepan, whisk milk and cornstarch till well blended.

Stir in butter, bouillon, salt, and pepper.

Heat to a boil, stirring frequently. Simmer on low for one minute more to thicken.

Use in recipes to replace one can of cream of anything soup.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup:

Stir in a drained 4 ounce can of mushroom pieces to the recipe above.

Use in recipes in place of one can of Cream of Mushroom Soup.

Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup:

Stir in 1/2 cup cooked chicken pieces to the recipe above.

Use in recipes in place of one can of Cream of Chicken Soup.

Condensed Cream of Celery Soup:

Stir in 1/2 cup sautéed chopped celery to the recipe above.

Use in recipes in place of one can of Cream of Celery Soup.

I believe Bette Hagman has some cream soup "mix" to which you add water and V8 juice or mushrooms or whatever. I'm not sure what cookbook though.

I don't know about the chocolate milk thing...that seems fishy to me, but I've heard it as well. If you call about the milk, let me know. I imagine it's barley/malt to get the colour?

If she needs chocolate milk, Nesquik syrup was gluten-free last time I bought some. So are most of the powdered Nestle Carnation Instant Breakfasts. I've heard rumours the premade instant breakfast have some flavours that DO contain gluten.

That's all I can think of for now.

Linda, Mom to Ty (11 years old)

Ty was diagnosed by blood test June 7/05

biopsy Aug 11/05, diagnosis confirmed Aug 18/05

Mom, Dad and big brother Celiac-free.