Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

azmom3

How Quickly After And For How Long Do You Get Sick?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

This question gets asked a lot, and the answer seems to vary greatly person to person, as well as depending on how healthy the person has been eating, the particular gluten they get (varies from person to person what causes the worst reaction), how long that person has been gluten free, and what other allergies they have.

For me, I can tell if I've been glutened sometime within 30 minutes to 4 hours, and the reactions last up to 6 days or so.

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

I can tell 30 minutes to an hour. The past two times (once in a restaurant, once at a relative's house) I felt sick before I got up from the table. But it can change. A few months ago I thought for sure I'd accidentally eaten something and was ready for a reaction - nothing happened. I've only been glutened a few times in the past year though. Each time I get the big D for about 3 days and then get back to normal. (Brain fog too and just feel yucky.)

Liz

Started Specific Carbohydrate Diet on 8-16-09 because son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and want to give him moral support.

Diagnosed with Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome in 2003. Discovered that going completely gluten-free put me in remission.

I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Psalms 27:13

I start feeling the symptoms within 3 to 5 minutes. The worse of the physical symptoms last up to 3 days with all of them usually gone after a week. The emotional component lasts about 2 weeks. It is usually marked by a very brief rush of euphoria. That may sound weird but a long time ago some other posters mentioned the same. No explanation why that happens.

Since I can normally tell within minutes that I am consuming gluten, I only experience slight glutenings.

I usually am sick within in the hour, very bad D and stomach cramps. I sometimes get very "foggy and sleepy" My head will get heavy and I feel like I am in a zone. I recover from the D within a few hours after taking the Immodium pill. The rest of me feels better anywhere from a few hours to a day or two, depending.

It really can vary, if you are very healthy I hear it can be worse symptoms and may take longer to heal. It all depends.

~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

36_22_10[1].gif

For me, it takes about 2 hours for symptoms to begin.

My reactions used to last more than a week. The last couple of times (from CC, so a minute amount), it didn't last as long--a few days and I don't seem to get D nearly as bad, either. Now, my main symptoms tend to be nausea and anxiety/moodiness.

I've been gluten-free about a year and a half.

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

About 2 hours for me, but it can be longer. My reaction tends to be commensurate with the amount I ingest and whether I've been glutened recently (makes it worse). I'll have abdominal cramping (bad means I'll be doubled over and can't walk, nominal means pain but liveable) and D until my body feels it's gotten rid of the gluten. 3-4 hours or 3-4 days. Sometimes the next meal will set it off again (I guess the remaining gluten is floating around again setting off the autoimmune response). I just try to flush the system with safe food.

In the past, I know some rulers used to take small amounts of poison to make them more immune should someone try to poison them. I figure it's like that. When we ate gluten regularly, we had low(wer) key chronic problems. Now our body is purified, the poison yeilds a stronger, more acute reaction. That's my theory anyway.