This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Results?

super-sally888

super-sally888 Contributor

Hi,

Got the results of biopsy. Seems that Dr. only submitted biopsy of colonoscopy. Results were chronic nonspecific colitis (edematous stroma and lyphocytes and plasma cells).

I guess this doesn't mean anything with regards to celiac. Does anyone know what this means?

Haven't seen my dr. yet - still another week. No blood tests have been done...

Anyway am continuing with gluten free diet. I guess improvements with diet should be enough proof.

Sally

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ursa Major Collaborator

Oh boy, not another ignorant doctor. You're right in continuing the gluten-free diet, if it helps you feel better. And no matter what, it has been found that most other bowel problems will at least be improved by going gluten-free. So, you certainly can't go wrong with being on the gluten-free diet.

From what I've read, colitis can be caused by celiac disease, anyway. Here is some info:

Open Original Shared Link

Here is what Dr. Fine says about colitis, and here is the link to the full article: Dr. Fine on celiac disease testing

It was actually my research of microscopic colitis that led me to discover that stool analysis was the best way of assessing for gluten sensitivity before celiac disease develops. Microscopic colitis is a very common chronic diarrheal syndrome, accounting for 10% of all causes of chronic diarrhea in all patients, and is the most common cause of ongoing chronic diarrhea in a treated celiac, affecting 4% of all celiac patients. However, from my published research, despite the presence of the celiac HLA-DQ2 gene in 64% of patients with microscopic colitis, very few get positive blood tests or biopsies consistent with celiac disease. Yet, small bowel biopsies revealed some degree of inflammation sometimes with mild villous blunting in 70% of cases. According to the facts and previously discussed shortcomings of celiac blood tests, antibodies to gliadin are unlikely to be detected in the blood in these patients because they lack villous atrophy. So negative blood tests for antigliadin antibodies per se did not, in my mind, rule out the possibility that these patients with microscopic colitis, a disease that under the microscope looks like celiac disease (but of the colon), and that affects many celiac patients, were not gluten sensitive themselves. But as Dr. Ferguson’s research revealed, these antibodies might be detectable inside the intestine. And since we surely were not going to perform that cumbersome intestinal lavage test in my patients, we decided to see if we could find these antibodies in the stool as a reflection of what is coming through the intestine.

I hope that helps.

super-sally888 Contributor

Thanks Ursula. That info is very helpful.

And I thought this dr. was knowledgeable! He did say we were looking for celiac! Then he takes biopsy only from the colon!

Anyway, will discuss with him how / if we can do anything else to get a diagnosis... would be better to know. Particulalry if can find out if it is just gluten, or there are other things as well.

If necessary I will ask him to refer me to an allergy dr... (the itching thing might be an indication of allergy / intollerance).

Anyway as you said, the bottom line is I am feeling better (well - was - today not so good, am sure tomorrow will be better). Have lost 6 lbs in 3 weeks! This is fabulous. Normally I can't lose weight - no matter what I do..

Have a great day.

Sally

Hi,

Got the results of biopsy. Seems that Dr. only submitted biopsy of colonoscopy. Results were chronic nonspecific colitis (edematous stroma and lyphocytes and plasma cells).

I guess this doesn't mean anything with regards to celiac. Does anyone know what this means?

Haven't seen my dr. yet - still another week. No blood tests have been done...

Anyway am continuing with gluten free diet. I guess improvements with diet should be enough proof.

Sally

Archived