This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Happy Birthday

Bronwen

Bronwen Newbie

My Birthday is coming up and I was hoping somone had a tried and true recipe for a cake even the other side woulde like. Perhaps a Chocolate :D one?Thanks!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

flagbabyds Collaborator

do you live near san francisco b/c if you do Crave bakery in SF makes cakes that are gluten-free/CF/SF and are really good!

AmyTopolski Apprentice

Hi,

I just made this for my daughter's 3rd birthday and they were a huge hit! We aren't dairy free but we are egg free and lactose free. We used Lactade milk, but I would think you could substitute what you use for milk just fine. Also, if you would like the original recipe calls for 1 egg. If you use egg also omit the Ener-G egg replacer. We did cupcakes, so I'm not sure if a cake would cook properly yet. Hope this recipe helps! Sorry it's so long! If you have any questions feel free to contact me. Happy Birthday!

Amy

Chocoalte Cake

1/4 cup flax meal egg replacer (recipe below) -omit if using egg

3 tbsp applesauce (no, you can't tell it's in there) -omit if using egg

1/2 cup butter flavored Crisco (or your substitute for butter)

1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

1/2 cup milk or dairy free substitution (rice milk?)

1 tsp vanilla

1 1/2 cup gluten-free Cake Flour Mix (recipe below)

1 tsp Ener-G egg replacer -omit if using egg

1 tsp baking powder

1 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp salt

1 cup sugar

1/2 cup hot water

Flax Meal Egg Replacer

1/4 cup cold water

1 tsp ground flax meal

Combine in a container and shake well

gluten-free Cake Flour Mix

3 cups white rice flour

1 cup potato starch

1/2 cup tapioca starch

1 tsp xanthan gum

Mix well and store in an airtight container.

Cake

Preheat oven to 350*. In a medium bowl sift together all dry ingredients and set aside. In a large bowl cream together Crisco and sugar. Add flax meal, applesauce, vanilla and milk. Mix well. Add dry ingredients and mix well. Stir in hot water and mix until smooth. Divide batter evenly between 16 cupcake papers. Add 2 tbsp of water to each empty cupcake well. Bake 20-25 minutes. Cool on wire rack. Frost.

Icing

3 cups powdered sugar

3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder

4 tbsp milk (or dairy free sub)

4 tbsp butter flavored Crisco (or butter sub)

1 tsp vanilla

1/8 tsp salt

Mix all ingredients and blend until smooth.

momandgirls Enthusiast

Namaste chocolate cake mix is definitely gluten and dairy free and I'm pretty sure it's soy free, too. It's delicious! I made it for at both my daughters birthdays and everyone loved it. In fact, the mom of one of the girls at the party told me that her daughter said the cake was the best cake she'd ever eaten (and she's a gluten eater!)

Bronwen Newbie
do you live near san francisco b/c if you do Crave bakery in SF makes cakes that are gluten-free/CF/SF and are really good!

Nope!! Florida!LOL Daytona Beach!

kolka Explorer

Check out the post "I have achieved . . . Cake!". Substitute the milk for soy milk. Make sure you don't use low fat. Baking a cake needs fat, which soy has. Soy milks tastes terrible, but works very well in baked goods.

new to LI Newbie

really great foods company aslo makes a "really" good chocolate cake that fits your needs

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived