This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

If You Shouldn't Be Taking Antibiotics . . .

Helena

Helena Contributor

My sister reacts to antibiotics---she is allergic to some of them, and others just have a bad effect on her body. She *really* doesn't want to take them. But she thinks she has a throat infection (things look pretty bad when she checks back there, but she doesn't want to go to the doctor because she knows she will give her antibiotics.) But her immune system is really run down and it takes her awhile to get over colds.

Any suggestions for natural treatments besides gargling with salt water? I've recommended strong tea made with ginger root and lemon juice, but I don't really know if that is antibacterial. The other thing I thought of is gargling with a natural mouth wash with tea tree oil in it . . . .

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CarlaB Enthusiast

She really needs to be tested for strep, untreated, it can be dangerous! People die of untreated bacterial infections!! I'm all for natural cures, but some things need antibiotics, even as much as I'm against their overuse.

BTW, if her immune system is run down, then once she gets better, she really should be doing things to build it up -- avoid sugar, alcohol, caffeine, eat low carb, eat plenty of protein, lots of veggies, supplement with probiotics.

She might also want to see if there's some underlying condition causing her immune system to be so low.

dlp252 Apprentice
She really needs to be tested for strep, untreated, it can be dangerous! People die of untreated bacterial infections!! I'm all for natural cures, but some things need antibiotics, even as much as I'm against their overuse.

Yep, I agree. I had strep last October and wouldn't let the doctor give me the antibiotic she wanted to (augmentin) because I had been on it nearly continuously for 3 years...she gave me a different kind, but it didn't take the infection away like augmentin would have...I then developed an ear infection and a sinus infection and ended up having to take the augmentin anyway, but 30 days of it instead of the shorter course they would have given me. Still, if she gets sick with antibiotics, there may be some other kind they can give her.

clhsc Apprentice

Warm salt water works best for me. Also a shot of peppermint tea with one t. of honey and one t. lemon will do wonders to soothe a scratchy throat. She should get tested for strep though. She wouldn't necessarily need to take the antibiotics if she didn't want to. My grandmother always gave me a shot of rock and rye (but that isn't recommended, but it does make you sleep). I would say just stick with hot chicken broth and other warm liquids for a few days. The less strain on your digestive system, the more can be concentrated on her immune system to help her feel better. I also take Vitamin C and Zinc when I am sick (don't know if it works or not, but it seems to). Hope she feels better soon!

Mamato2boys Contributor

Untreated strep can lead to rheumatic fever, which can do damage to the heart. She needs to see the doctor. This is one infection she doesn't want to mess around with.

tl2277 Newbie

olive leaf extract does wonders for infections.

burdee Enthusiast

IF your sis goes the 'antibiotic' route, tell her to take a probiotic with a meal once a day separate from the antibiotics. If she takes the antibiotics at night, take the protiotic in the morning. AFTER she finishes the round of antibiotics, tell her to take probiotics severals times a day with meals to 'reseed' her 'good guy' bacteria, which get killed off with the bad bacteria, by antibiotics.

Tell her to look for gluten free and other allergen free probiotics which are FREEZE DRIED, not shelf stored or even refrigerated. The refrigerated ones can 'die' between purchase and getting home to the fridge. Many probiotics on the market are absolutely worthless, because their bacteria are dead. If she needs to get refrigerated probiotics, tell her to carefully store them in the fridge as often as possible.

Probiotics not only help to sustain immunity against furture infections, but also prevent many of those 'IBS' symptoms that remain long after we eliminate gluten and other allergen sources. I know ... been there, done that.

BURDEE

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Helena Contributor

Thanks so much for all the advice. Will pass it on! And I'm going to copy all this info down for myself for future reference. I didn't realize that strep throat could be so serious.

I haven't heard of olive leaf extract before---will have to check that one out.

re: the probiotics. My sister has tried some probiotic supplements but has reacted to them. (she can't have probiotics cultured in either soy or dairy because she is allergic) Burdee, I see from your signature that you are soy and dairy free---what brand of probiotics do you take?

CarlaB, my feeling is that my sister developed a whole host of health problems including celiac disease (undiagnosed) after getting a tick-borne illness while travelling overseas (she got really ill after getting bug bites of some sort---she never saw the bugs, but she figures she was bitten by some sort of insect because her foot got inexplicably swollen prior to her illness. At first, she thought the two events were not connected, but now it looks suspicious.) So, yeah, there is an underlying problem. I've had a discussion with Rachel (of Rachelville fame) about Lyme's, and I'm going to try to convince my sister to revisit this issue (she was tested for Lyme's once) . . . we'll have to see how this goes. Thankfully, though, she's so much better now than she was a year ago.

On an unrelated topic: A weird thing happened with this thread----I could have *sworn* that I posted under "leaky gut and other issues." :unsure: But apparently I didn't . . . unless threads have the tendency to spontaneously migrate.

burdee Enthusiast
Thanks so much for all the advice. Will pass it on! And I'm going to copy all this info down for myself for future reference. I didn't realize that strep throat could be so serious before---will have to check that one out.

re: the probiotics. My sister has tried some probiotic supplements but has reacted to them. (she can't have probiotics cultured in either soy or dairy because she is allergic) Burdee, I see from your signature that you are soy and dairy free---what brand of probiotics do you take?

CarlaB, my feeling is that my sister developed a whole host of health problems including celiac disease (undiagnosed) after getting a tick-borne illness while travelling overseas (she got really ill after getting bug bites of some sort---she never saw the bugs, but she figures she was bitten by some sort of insect because her foot got inexplicably swollen prior to her illness. At first, she thought the two events were not connected, but now it looks suspicious.) So, yeah, there is an underlying problem. I've had a discussion with Rachel (of Rachelville fame) about Lyme's, and I'm going to try to convince my sister to revisit this issue (she was tested for Lyme's once) . . . we'll have to see how this goes. Thankfully, though, she's so much better now than she was a year ago.

Helena: Right now I'm taking HLC High Potency (Freeze Dried) Probiotics which I get from my doc at the IBS Treatment Center in Seattle. See Open Original Shared Link However I previously took Ethical Nutrients Intestinal Care DF (Dairy Free) Probiotics which must be refrigerated. Those gave me lots of lactobacillus acidophilus, but no bifidobacteria, which may be more sensitive to heat.

Your sis MAY still have undetected parasites which still cause her IBS symptoms. My doc gives a comprehensive Stool bacteria, yeast and parasite test (actually a take-home and mail in kit) which detected my bacterial (Klebsiella) infection. My SIL took the parasite kit, because she's travelled through several Eastern European countries with poor sanitation. Encourage your sis to get tested (usually stool tests) for 'bugs'.

BURDEE

Helena Contributor

burdee, thanks for the info. on the probiotics. re: the parasites. yep, my sister was tested. that's what she thought at first too.

angst2amity Rookie

Untreated strep can exacerbate or create OCD symptoms. Your body tries to fight it off and instead attacks part of your brain creating Obsessive Compulsive Disorder - there is more and more research on this in children but less for adults but it happens. It also can cause Tourettes.

Here is the first thing I grabbed off the internet, and article from BIO 202 from Bryn Maur:

Open Original Shared Link

I think that the autoimmune properties in Celiac do the same.

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

IF she has strep, that's a big deal. But most infections of the respiratory system are VIRAL, and antibiotics are wasted on them. MANY doctors assign antibiotics even when they know it's viral, because their patient's want to think they are getting medicine. Not only is this bad for patients, it's bad for all of us, since viruses and bacteria continue to get 'used' to our medicines and to be able to survive them.

Isn't strep the one that makes you get white spots on the back of your throat?

Getting tested for STREP is important - just don't take antibiotics unless your doc can confirm it's bacterial!

Guest cassidy

I read all the posts about how serious strep is - I didn't realize that.

What about echinachea or zinc lozenges or collodial silver. I believe those are natural types of antibiotics. Can she tolerate any of those. My mother has tried them all and loves the collodial silver.

Helena Contributor

Strep throat is sounding scarier by the minute. I agree that she should be tested but shouldn't take antibiotics unless it is strep for sure. I looked up colloidal silver---I'd have to do more research on it to be sure about it, but it is interesting that silver is antibacterial.

jerseyangel Proficient

Strep is something that you need to treat, but it's perfectly fine to not start antibiotics until you have the test results back. Too many times, the doctor takes the throat culture and sends the patient home with a Rx the same day.

Last spring, I had a painful sore throat--on the 6th day of not getting any better, I went into the doctor. I was a little concerned, because I also had nausea, and strep was going around at the time. She did a culture, and didn't want to start me on anything right away because I am already allergic to most antibiotics. I agreed with this.

Turns out, I didn't have strep, and I started feeling better after the rest of the week passed. :)

CarlaB Enthusiast
Strep throat is sounding scarier by the minute. I agree that she should be tested but shouldn't take antibiotics unless it is strep for sure. I looked up colloidal silver---I'd have to do more research on it to be sure about it, but it is interesting that silver is antibacterial.

I took colloidal silver for mastitis three times and it worked. I tried it for strep and it did not work. Anecdotal evidence, I know, but don't mess with strep!! The tests come back so quickly now, I agree that it's entirely possible to wait for the results.

If your sister had a tick borne illness, I'd suggest she be tested again by IGeneX ... of course, I'm sure Rachel told you that already. :) Any other lab is not accurate, plus docs are hesitant to diagnose Lyme, so you want to go to a Lyme Literate MD. I'm waiting for my IGeneX results myself ... but at the same time, it's a clinical diagnosis because it's common for chronic Lyme to not show up on the tests.

angst2amity Rookie

Oh, another thing about strep. There are about 23 strains. My immunologist ran an IgG panel and I have had hundreds of infections including strep, and I had NO antibodies to any of the strains.

Is this immune deficiency common in Celiacs?

I was able to mount some anti-bodies after a Pneumo Vax 23 Valent. Lots of people can't mount these anti-bodies and have to go on IVIG - essentially using human blood products via IV to replace anti-bodies. Gluten-free diet sounds so much better to me! Every 3 weeks having a 5 hour transfusion that leaves you feeling like you had chemo - vomitting+

For the rest of your life.

Anyone have an immune deficiency and on IVIG? Is it connected to CP?

Lymetoo Contributor
CarlaB, my feeling is that my sister developed a whole host of health problems including celiac disease (undiagnosed) after getting a tick-borne illness while travelling overseas (she got really ill after getting bug bites of some sort---

My thinking exactly as I was reading your first post!!! a "reaction" to antibiotics can mean a "herx".....which would indicate you might have a tick-borne illness.

A herx occurs because the antibiotics are killing off the Lyme spirochetes. That makes the dying spirochetes throw off toxins. It is the toxins which make you miserable.

Helena Contributor

I had never heard of that before . . . those tick-borne illnesses are really bizarre.

An update: my sister did *finally* make it to the dr. this week. The doctor's verdict: she had burned her throat by treating her sore throat with too much salt water. He said only to use 1/4 tsp. of salt (in how much water, I'm not sure). He also recommended camomile tea. My sister was impressed--he didn't even try to give her antibiotics.

I'm relieved that she got this checked out!

CarlaB Enthusiast
My thinking exactly as I was reading your first post!!! a "reaction" to antibiotics can mean a "herx".....which would indicate you might have a tick-borne illness.

A herx occurs because the antibiotics are killing off the Lyme spirochetes. That makes the dying spirochetes throw off toxins. It is the toxins which make you miserable.

Since I just tested positive for Lyme, I am guessing this is why I've always reacted badly to antibiotics.

Helena, glad the salt water worked for her ... even if it did burn her throat!

Archived