Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

clabudak

Am I A Celiac?

My sister was tested (endoscope and lab tests) both negative. She has no symptoms of pain as long as she adheres to the diet. My daughter has the same horrendous abdominal pains as my sister. She is not tested. She is on the diet also and has no symptoms as long as she strictly adheres to the diet. Both have been on this diet since the summer. Since this is genetic, what is the percentage of chance that I could have this too? I am symptom-free in the respect that I suffer no physical discomfort what so ever. I have recently been diagnosed with slight anemia. I am having lab tests currently to find the cause. No blood in the stool from 1 test so I'm thinking that it's a nutrient absorbing issue. Could this one problem be celiac disease especially w/o really any other problems for me?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Welcome!

I believe there is about a 10% chance for first-degree relatives to have celiac.

Some people's only symptom is anemia, so you might ask them to also do the celiac panel. Be sure they do all five blood tests as only the IgA is insufficient and that is what most docs seem to do.

gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

Guest cassidy

If your sister was negative, then maybe she is gluten intolerant versus having celiac. If her test was negative I would think that your test and your daughter's test would be negative as well.

Also, unless your husband has problems, I would also think that your daughter got her genes for gluten intolerance from you, so there is probably a good chance that you would have the gene as well.

Since your daughter is gluten-free, it probably wouldn't be hard for you to go gluten-free as well since you already know how to do so and are probably making special meals for your daughter.

I don't know how long anemia takes to get better, and I would guess it depends on if you find the source, but if you try gluten-free until you have your next blood test, that might give you your answer.

My sister was tested (endoscope and lab tests) both negative. She has no symptoms of pain as long as she adheres to the diet. My daughter has the same horrendous abdominal pains as my sister. She is not tested. She is on the diet also and has no symptoms as long as she strictly adheres to the diet. Both have been on this diet since the summer. Since this is genetic, what is the percentage of chance that I could have this too? I am symptom-free in the respect that I suffer no physical discomfort what so ever. I have recently been diagnosed with slight anemia. I am having lab tests currently to find the cause. No blood in the stool from 1 test so I'm thinking that it's a nutrient absorbing issue. Could this one problem be celiac disease especially w/o really any other problems for me?

Have you asked your doctor to do a blood test? Also did you see the actual test results and the reference ranges on the testing done on the family members who are negative but diet proven? There are times when someones test results are only a degree or so into the positive range and a doctor will call it a negative. Although the medical community seems to think that the chances are only around 10% we also have to take into account the lack of testing for celiac in this country. Many who present with nontypical GI related symptoms are never diagnosed.

In my family we were all tested after I was diagnosed. I do not show up in blood work. Both my children were positive with the more severely impacted having a lower positive result than the child who's main symptom was Gerd. My DH also was at last tested, he thought he was symptomless, his result was only one point into the positive range, a level many doctors would call negative. He has seem a great deal of issues that he had that he considered minor resolve. Skin problems, sleep issues , too much not to little, and gas to name a few. I should note that my children have different natural fathers from completely different genetic backgrounds. Since I do not show up in blood tests and the children both do I believe they got the celiac gene from their fathers also.

Often until we are gluten free for awhile we don't realize how much it impacts our energy levels and thought processes and other body systems. I believe the number of celiacs within families to be much higher than suspected. We might know for sure if they just tested us.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Just wanted to say, my hubby had a very few quite minor symptoms. Occasional cramping, am trips to the bathroom that could kill (tmi sorry) but nothing warranting a Dr visit (in fact he hadn't seen a doc for years until we met and I forced him to start yearly physicals). He went gluten free with me and within days had more energy, just felt better. Many people don't feel sick. They just feel better when they go gluten free. My sister is getting the blood panel next time she goes to the doc, but I'm the only 1 in the fam w symptoms. Just in case she feels sick she'll have old blood results for comparison.

Just so u know, I didn't get the official DX. I went gluten-free, then had the bloodwork done which was "borderline positive". But I felt much better (I'm still improving w a long way to go) and my doc said "well there's plenty of things you can eat without gluten, I know I can't stop you!". For some people the official word is important, but for me it wasn't. Get tested if you care, but try the diet either way, it could supprise you!

Sorry for it being so long. Good luck!