This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Dr. Peter Green Interviewed On Oprah And Friends Xm Satellite Radio

kabowman

kabowman Explorer

Tune in to hear Dr. Peter Green interviewed on Oprah and Friends XM Satellite Radio Channel 156!!

Dr. Mehmet Oz interviews Dr. Green on Celiac Disease. This interview airs on Thursday, November 30th at 7am, 1pm, and 7pm.

Please visit Open Original Shared Link or Open Original Shared Link

for more information.

This just through our message - too bad I don't get xmradio but maybe someone out here does!!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

happygirl Collaborator

husband does...he'll be listening!.... thanks!

floridanative Community Regular

You beat me to the punch! I was just about to post about this....I'm so excited! I know it's not as good as having a whole Oprah tv show but it's better then nothing! I think you may be able to sign up for a three day or week trial for free on XM site but not certain about that. That's how I listened to the Celiac story on Martha Stewart's Sirius show for free.

p.s. okay you can sign up for a three day free trial. I just did it, it's easy and I use a 'trash' e-mail address that I just empty out every so often. I use it just for a reason such as this so my real addresses don't get crammed with unwanted ads. I figure if Oprah is finally doing something for us, we'd better show our appreciation to her or her staff at her radio show at least.

angel-jd1 Community Regular

That is pretty ironic that Dr. Green is on an Oprah produced program. A year or two ago, the satelite sisters, who had an oprah magazine column got themselves into a stink in the celiac community for something dumb they said They made some comments about the parents of celiac children which of course upset everybody and had them writing into the magazine. Just funny that this segment is also an oprah production :)

-Jessica :rolleyes:

jaten Enthusiast
Tune in to hear Dr. Peter Green interviewed on Oprah and Friends XM Satellite Radio Channel 156!!

Dr. Mehmet Oz interviews Dr. Green on Celiac Disease. This interview airs on Thursday, November 30th at 7am, 1pm, and 7pm.

Woo hoo! I've signed up for my free trial, and I'm all set. Plus, I just learned that there are archives of the shows so anyone who misses it will be able to catch it later. (With XM, of course)

I must be asking the obvious, but I don't see on the XM site or on the Oprah & Friends' site where it say that Thursday will include a discussion of Celiac. Someone please point me to that. It would be nice to be able to look ahead to what else may be coming, but I just see the "today" and "tomorrow" links.

teebs in WV Apprentice

When I saw the topic of this post I had a panic attack! You see, I listen to Oprah and Friends every day in my car. This past weekend my son brought my XM radio into the house while we were decorating for Christmas, and we never took it back to my car. Soooooooooo I have been without my XM radio and then I see this! I thought for sure that I missed it!

I will be listening for sure!

Thanks for the info!

Tracy

Dr. Green's assistant is the one who put out the listserv notice about Thursdays show so it should be at the times specified. I can't wait! I'm not even going to answer my business phone from 1-2. It's like Christmas came early for me this year! All this great media exposure in such a short time. I think 2007 will be the year for that Celiac and gluten become household words. Not like everyone will have it but there are more of us that have Celiac than many other well know diseases combined. It's our turn to be in the medical spotlight so to speak!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kristend Rookie
Dr. Green's assistant is the one who put out the listserv notice about Thursdays show so it should be at the times specified. I can't wait! I'm not even going to answer my business phone from 1-2. It's like Christmas came early for me this year! All this great media exposure in such a short time. I think 2007 will be the year for that Celiac and gluten become household words. Not like everyone will have it but there are more of us that have Celiac than many other well know diseases combined. It's our turn to be in the medical spotlight so to speak!

Are these eastern, central or pacific time? not sure how this works but I have access to XM and would like to listen. I am in NY..

Thank you...

jaten Enthusiast
Are these eastern, central or pacific time? not sure how this works but I have access to XM and would like to listen. I am in NY..

Thank you...

The times listed in the post above are Eastern. If you follow the oprah.xm link above you'll see a link for Program Schedule. Times are listed in Eastern, but for those who don't want to do the math, there's even a drop-down and you can choose your time zone to adjust the schedule :D

Thanks for asking that question....hehehe, I always assume times listed anywhere reference "my" time zone. I would have missed it! We all know what they say about assuming! But I never learn.

bump - it's on at 1 pm EST today

Michi8 Contributor

I'm not able to listen to it today...did anyone catch it? Was it a good interview? Any interesting points?

Michelle

I'm not sure but you may be able to listen in the archive files. I found the interview to be very well done. Dr Green really pushes the biopsy for dx which I don't think necessary if you have positive blood markers for Celaic but like everyone on this board, people can make their own decisions on that matter. He really talked about anemia (yea! that was me) patients who had a hard time getting dx'd if that is their only symptom and he spoke a lot about dental enamel defects and how they are often caused by Celiac as well. He talked about how the med schools here in the US are funded greatly by pharma companies so that's why dcos don't know the currect stats on Celiac as there is no pill for it. He said it was much harder to be on the gluten free diet here than in most of Europe.

After Dr. Green was off Dr. Oz's friend (forgot his name) came on and said that Dr. Oz almost eats gluten free from what he's observed and Dr. Oz said that anyone could probably benefit from eating gluten free as it's very healthy. Knowing my Celiac Mother loves her Snickers and chips I had to laugh at that comment. You can eat a ton of junk and still be gluten free. Dr. Oz also noted that he had never heard that infertility could be caused so that shocked him. He commented that the US is way behind Europe in getting the correct dx for people with Celiac and this is not the first time this has happened. Other conditions have had similar issues. Why does everyone always say we have the best medical care in the US? Do they just mean for cancer since we have more people with cancer than anywhere else on earth? I wonder.

jerseyangel Proficient

Thanks for the report, Tiffany. I wasn't able to listen to it :)

jaten Enthusiast

For anyone who missed the Dr. Peter Green/Dr. Mehmet Oz broadcast, it has already been placed in the archives

Open Original Shared Link

I'm sure you'll need to do as Floridanative suggested earlier and sign up at least for the free 3 day trial. That's what I did to be able to listen to the broadcast live.

If I understood correctly, Dr. Green, thought the test was painless/inexpensive enough that he thought it would be worthwhile if the blood test for Celiac became a population test. (I haven't re-listened, did anyone else pick up on that?)

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
For anyone who missed the Dr. Peter Green/Dr. Mehmet Oz broadcast, it has already been placed in the archives

Open Original Shared Link

I'm sure you'll need to do as Floridanative suggested earlier and sign up at least for the free 3 day trial. That's what I did to be able to listen to the broadcast live.

If I understood correctly, Dr. Green, thought the test was painless/inexpensive enough that he thought it would be worthwhile if the blood test for Celiac became a population test. (I haven't re-listened, did anyone else pick up on that?)

I'm not sure i heard that as there was so much good info but i did hear (i think) that all people w/the dx of IBS should get it done.

judy

jerseyangel Proficient

As it turns out, I was able to sign up (thanks Judy) and listen to the last 45 munutes of the 7PM show. It was good, I thought.

Dr. Green did say that the disease meets the criteria for widespread testing. He discussed how in parts of Italy, children are routinely tested.

I thought it was interesting that after Dr. Green left, Dr. Roisen and Dr. Oz were still taliking about Celiac, and they both didn't think it was a bad idea for someone with suspicious symptoms to try the gluten-free diet on their own. Dr. Green, while he was still there, said it was better to persue a diagnosis first.

DawnM Newbie
I'm not sure i heard that as there was so much good info but i did hear (i think) that all people w/the dx of IBS should get it done.

judy

Hi All!

Thank you for the Link to the interview. I don't get XM radio!! Anyway, at the top of the interview, there is a spot to click to "ask Dr. Oz" a question. I thanked him a million times over and asked him to please ask Oprah to do a show on Celiac Disease. If we all write to him, maybe we can get Oprah to do a show!!!!

If Oprah does a show, public awareness will be key!!!! If anyone can make the public aware of celiac disease, it's Oprah! Please write to Dr. Oz AND Oprah too!! (I've been for years!!) THank you!

Dawn

Archived