This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Hey! I'm New Here!

TBCGurl

TBCGurl Newbie

Hey Everyone,

Well, I do not have celiac disease, but my very close (like and 2nd mother) does. I just basic wanted to get involved in this site so I can learn more about it. I am not sure what kind of celiac she has, but i know she cant really have anything. I am hoping to find some recipies on here so i will beable to cook her up some treats. Thanks for starting this site! Its been very helpful so far!

God Bless!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

dlp252 Apprentice
Hey Everyone,

Well, I do not have celiac disease, but my very close (like and 2nd mother) does. I just basic wanted to get involved in this site so I can learn more about it. I am not sure what kind of celiac she has, but i know she cant really have anything. I am hoping to find some recipies on here so i will beable to cook her up some treats. Thanks for starting this site! Its been very helpful so far!

God Bless!

Hi and welcome! How nice of you to do that for your 2nd mom! I don't cook, so really can't offer any recipes...just make sure you don't use any wheat, oats, barley or rye or any products that contain them. You might also want to use either dedicated utensils or make sure they are very well sterilized. Some people react very strongly to even the tiniest amounts of gluten even the stuff left on utensils. If she has Celiac or gluten sensitivity, the only way to even hope to get better is to strickly avoid gluten--even crumbs.

Again, welcome!

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

That's so sweet of you:) Hope you find this site very helpful

happygirl Collaborator

Welcome to the board! I'm sure it means a lot to your '2nd mom' that you are taking the steps to help her out and support her. Feel free to ask any questions. Read, read, read! Let us know what we can do to help!

GFBetsy Rookie

For more recipes, check the parent page of this site, Celiac.com. Also, try looking for gluten free cookbooks in your local library. The recipe book "Saving Dinner" by Leanne Ely is also really good . .. it's not deliberately gluten free, but most of the recipes are gluten-free naturally. The website www.eatingglutenfree.com also has a lot of good recipes . . . try the sugar cookies! They are really good!

• 1 month later...
New Dreams Newbie

Hi there everyone,

I'm Sue , I'm new to this forum and I must say that I had no idea really that so many suffer from Celiac :o . My Mother had the disease and I know how hard it is on the person and the ones around them .

My mother had the disease for about 7 years and to watch them go through all the pain and agony is heartbreaking :( . I know they have come up with new ways of dealing with it and I hope that you, that have friends or family with the disease keep them on there diets and makes sure they stick to them to the letter .. ;)

Sue

JackieM Newbie

There is so much on this site. I find it overwhelming. How is one diagnosed with this disease, is it done with lab work only? If so what part of the lab test will show that Celiac disease is the culprit? I am sure there is somewhere on here to find that answer, but again, so much to look through with so many topics. Someone I know has been experiencing this 'brain fog,' and dizziness, a feeling of bloating with dairy products. How common is this? Yet she never has mentioned being check for this disease. I would like to learn more about it, and plan on reading more here. Everytime she eats anything she gets very bloated and she is a very thin person. From some of the symptoms people write about here, it sounds like some symptoms that I have even experienced, as well as others. How does one differientiate between this disease and another condition? I guess what I am asking is how are you tested for it, and what is the key that the medical field is looking for in order to diagnose one with Celiac disease.

Thank you for your patience, as I said I am new and am interested in learning more about Celiac disease.

JackieM

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kbtoyssni Contributor
There is so much on this site. I find it overwhelming. How is one diagnosed with this disease, is it done with lab work only? If so what part of the lab test will show that Celiac disease is the culprit? I am sure there is somewhere on here to find that answer, but again, so much to look through with so many topics. Someone I know has been experiencing this 'brain fog,' and dizziness, a feeling of bloating with dairy products. How common is this? Yet she never has mentioned being check for this disease. I would like to learn more about it, and plan on reading more here. Everytime she eats anything she gets very bloated and she is a very thin person. From some of the symptoms people write about here, it sounds like some symptoms that I have even experienced, as well as others. How does one differientiate between this disease and another condition? I guess what I am asking is how are you tested for it, and what is the key that the medical field is looking for in order to diagnose one with Celiac disease.

Thank you for your patience, as I said I am new and am interested in learning more about Celiac disease.

JackieM

You can do a blood test or an intestinal biopsy. The problem is that there are a lot of false negatives with testing. A positive biopsy is still considered the "gold standard" but by that point you'll have to have a lot of intestinal damage. If you have celiac but a negative biopsy, I'd say you're lucky that you haven't gotten much damage yet. Enterolab is another way to go (enterolab.com). They do a stool test and most people around here have had very good results from them. You can always do a dietary test - eliminate gluten and see how you feel. I diagnosed myself from dietary response.

Brain fog is very common - I get it myself. Bloating with dairy is also not uncommon. Many celiacs are temporarily intolerant to dairy (celiac wears away the tips of your intestinal villi which is what you need to digest dairy).

Archived